Kids and dating

elithepi

My 12 year old son has recently moved in with me to go to a better school and his mother lives in another state. We share a small studio and there is not much privacy at all except the bathroom.

I love my son very much, needless to say. It's just that, I feel like I can't date. I can't have people over.

I know that if I met someone that was into me, that shouldn't matter but the situation itself undermines me even wanting to try to go out and meet someone.

My lease is not up for another 8 months. Finding a bigger place would help.

Does no privacy ruin my dating life?

^^ It's understandable that you feel restrained. Going from living on your own to being a full time dad takes adjusting! As far as dating goes, I'd say best to just keep it outside of the home. Which really, you can get used to I'm sure.

A mature woman shouldn't have a problem understanding your circumstances.

The first thing you need to do is find a bigger place. A studio is fine for one person, or even a couple, but not for father and son. You both need some privacy.

If you go on dates, just don't bring them home until at least 3 or 4 dates or until you see it going somewhere with someone, and explain your situation. If you want to be sexual you can always go to their place or a hotel or something.

edit- ok well if you can't get a bigger place now, i guess like you said rough it out for the 8 months. It shouldn't be that bad, and like other posters said, i'm sure the woman will understand, especially since it's only temporary.

ahhh...mixed signals here.

Bottom line, a new place will have to wait for the time being.

I moved into the place before I found out about my son living with me.

I lean more toward finding someone that is cool with it....I mean, I won't have sex in the place with him there.

I just kind of feel like it's a turn off for some.

ahhh...mixed signals here.

Bottom line, a new place will have to wait for the time being.

I moved into the place before I found out about my son living with me.

I lean more toward finding someone that is cool with it....I mean, I won't have sex in the place with him there.

I just kind of feel like it's a turn off for some.

Those that have a problem with it most likely have a problem with you being a dad in general. You don't need them in your life... or your sons anyway, eh?

Welcome~ I think it's great that you are able to offer a better school system for your son to attend..

Just take your time and you two adjust to living together and within small quarters. Before you know it, you'll have received new lease papers and it'll be time to request a little bigger place, eh?

Archived