nineteen year old guy - too young??

Gratsy

I met this absolutely gorgeous guy this weekend. He's probably out of my league, but the situation got me thinking: I'm a 26 year old woman: is a nineteen year old too young to date? I found this person to be just as mature as I am, he goes to an Ivy League school, and so he's intellectually my equal, probably more. He's definetly more mature than I was at nineteen, anyways. But when I told my friends about it, they said nineteen was disgusting.

What do you think?

It's unusual, and my own "ceiling" would prolly be 24, but if he's mature for his age and you're both cool with it, I don't see why there should be an issue.

As fo our friends, tell them it's none of theirs if you want to date someone a little younger, and if he's as gorgeous as you say, chances are they'll end up envious instead lol

Go for it, Mel.

As an (almost) 21 year old woman at an Ivy League Uni (senior), I have to say I have trouble imagining myself dating a 26 year old professional man. I'm sure he'd be smart, attractive and experienced, but we would be in such different life stages! I mean, I am just now applying for my first post-grad jobs, going through professional interviews for the first time. I would have trouble understanding why he would want to date me, to be honest.

If one of my sophomore friends (usually 19) started dating a 26 year old woman, I would find it unsavory.

Just my opinion. That being said, I don't think should stop you from dating him if you think you two are compatible. I guess I have trouble thinking that a 19 year old college teen would have that much in common with you, or be as mature as you.

I just also wanted to add that as someone who is college/career focused I really don't see myself having children until i'm in my early 30's. There just isn't the time or finances to think about it before then for me and I don't want anything holding me back. So this as someone mentioned could be a problem. Best case scenario is that he wants to start having children a couple years after he's at a job and this puts you in your early to mid 30s. I know this is thinking waaaaay too ahead but this is just one example of some potential problem.

But it sounds like your mind is made up and sometimes you gotta go for it if you're feeling it. I think I would in your situation. Take things as they come.

As an (almost) 21 year old woman at an Ivy League Uni (senior), I have to say I have trouble imagining myself dating a 26 year old professional man. I'm sure he'd be smart, attractive and experienced, but we would be in such different life stages! I mean, I am just now applying for my first post-grad jobs, going through professional interviews for the first time. I would have trouble understanding why he would want to date me, to be honest.

If one of my sophomore friends (usually 19) started dating a 26 year old woman, I would find it unsavory.

Just my opinion. That being said, I don't think should stop you from dating him if you think you two are compatible. I guess I have trouble thinking that a 19 year old college teen would have that much in common with you, or be as mature as you.

I wasn't really thinking that seriously about it. Dating isn't marriage. I was just attracted to him.

I just also wanted to add that as someone who is college/career focused I really don't see myself having children until i'm in my early 30's. There just isn't the time or finances to think about it before then for me and I don't want anything holding me back. So this as someone mentioned could be a problem. Best case scenario is that he wants to start having children a couple years after he's at a job and this puts you in your early to mid 30s. I know this is thinking waaaaay too ahead but this is just one example of some potential problem.

But it sounds like your mind is made up and sometimes you gotta go for it if you're feeling it. I think I would in your situation. Take things as they come.

No way is my mind made up! I definetly want marriage one day, I wasn't really thinking about all the stuff you guys are bringing up. I wasn't really thinking about marriage or even anything close- just attraction/dating. And he probably isn't even interested. He's probably out of my league.

No, I'm not that kind of woman where sex is even part of the equation before deeper commitment.

I didn't mean to imply you were, but I think that's what was meant.

Seriously though, if you could give it a shot with this guy, 19yo is a small price to pay for dashing good looks and a bright mind if he's mature enough for you.

I didn't mean to imply you were, but I think that's what was meant.

Seriously though, if you could give it a shot with this guy, 19yo is a small price to pay for dashing good looks and a bright mind if he's mature enough for you.

If he was into me, I definetly would. But honestly, now that I look at it more objectively, even if he was interested: it'd probably just for a "Yeah I had sex with an older woman" type of thing, I'd bet.

I just thought he was cute, thats it.

Maybe have your friends meet him in person. Thier impressions are only being formed based on what you told them, and thier own bias. When they meet him in person, maybe they will be impressed and change thier minds.

I met this absolutely gorgeous guy this weekend. He's probably out of my league, but the situation got me thinking: I'm a 26 year old woman: is a nineteen year old too young to date? I found this person to be just as mature as I am, he goes to an Ivy League school, and so he's intellectually my equal, probably more. He's definetly more mature than I was at nineteen, anyways. But when I told my friends about it, they said nineteen was disgusting.

What do you think?

What do you think?

I was in that situation once, same age difference, you will regret it!!!

Have a fun casual sex relationship if you want, but my advice is to not get involved romantically.

I was in that situation once, same age difference, you will regret it!!!

Have a fun casual sex relationship if you want, but my advice is to not get involved romantically.

When you post on a thread, its recommended that you read the previous posts to understand the OP and the OP's situation.

Archived