"The Grass Is Greener" Syndrome

Mayday11

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awsome thread!!! Nice work Mayday!

My situation is very similar, Together for 5 years (18 - 23) married at May 08, split boxing day 08.

Says she doesn't love me in 'that way' anymore but still loves me as a friend and doesn't want to lose me completely...

Showed no obvious signs of relationship deteriation until the last minute (although when questioned she says its been going on in her head for a while)

For a fourtnight before and since the breakup she has been out on the town every weekend.

When clearing our outlook folders found facebook speeddate emails in the deleted items folder (Who does that? why would you not GET RID OF THEM PROPERLY!!!)

Reasons for split 'nothing to do with you' I just need to be free and live my life and I dont love you in the way you need anymore

Really didn't see it coming as we have only been married 8 months(ish) and i thought we were happy, yes we have our problems like any couple but nothing that a chat couldn't sort.

Its nice to know that others have been through similar situations and get a bit or clarity on my situtation.

unfortunately, NC is very hard to stick to as we have joint accounts & joint debts that need to be split and this takes time and communication. I also work for her parents so occasionally see her at the office. And she has a habit of just popping round to our house for something that she forgot to collect last time or calling me just to check something has been done etc. etc. etc.

Im not sure if she is actually seeing someone else yet, she says that shes not and not even thinking about it (I havent mentioned about the emails I stumbled accross), but Im sure it wont be long.

I'm trying my hardest to heal, but its very hard when you cant enforce NC and always feel alone. I would like to meet someone else, not ready for a relationship but just someone to pick up my spirits and go and have a laugh with (generally find womens company better) but I dont know if its too soon to be in the company of another woman. Any thoughts?

hey sorry to hear about it. when i left my gf i feared that i was lose her forever, but i knew that it was a risk i had to take.

i can't read the mind of your ex but there is a chance of reconciliation after she explores different things. i don't want to give you hope because i shouldn't.. but i told my ex the same thing - to move on because its simply unfair to make her wait.

its never too soon to be in the company of other women, it helps you move past things and it shows her that you can handle yourself without her (dont brag obviously but it does help your image to her). just dont' lead them on if they are looking for something long term, but if its all good fun then why not?

its weird i had the same thoughts in my head for a long time too but i always thought i could ride it out because breaking up sounded ridiculous to me and wasn't simply an option until that thought stuck around for too long.

i read somewhere that divorce rates were higher when people marry young, and that was what i was afraid of. but i hope by dealing with this now i can better prepare myself for the future... perhaps that is something your ex is doing as well, getting this 'out of the way'. also you are still really young and you can and will meet other great women im sure.. its tough now but itll get better soon.

good luck.

reading this over, this seems like exactly my break up, she left with no real reasoning and started dating someone else nearly immediately, and started partying alot more and gave me false re-assurance that someday maybe we would be together again.

Says she doesn't love me in 'that way' anymore but still loves me as a friend and doesn't want to lose me completely...

Showed no obvious signs of relationship deteriation until the last minute

before and since the breakup she has been out on the town every weekend and sometime during the week with her "re-united best friend".

Reasons for split 'nothing to do with you' I just need to be free and live my life and I dont love you in the way you need anymore and the spark is gone

i kind of figured this was the reason but now reading that and re-thinking everything that happened this is exactly what it is, i was thinking it was my fault somehow but now im sure i didn't do anything wrong.. i treated her very good and she will probably realize that as im sure she already is when her future bfs dont treat her half as good as i did. this really helped me today because it ran it all through my head from a different perspective and gave me alot of insight on the relationship and what kind of person she is.

• 2 weeks later...
Even if this applies to a break up....there is nothing you can do about it, which really does suck. But somehow you just have to learn to move on and forget your ex, because in most situations that is what they are doing to you.

I agree. The fact that they have been "affected" by this "syndrome" doesn't make the fact that they DUMPED us for SOMEONE ELSE any sweeter or forgivable IMO...

Move on and heal guys.

And even if you still want them back, realize that wondering if it's GIGS or not won't increase your chance of reconciliation. Forgetting about them and moving on will. You're probably thinking "I can't move on if I do it with the hope of increasing chances of reconciliation!". You're right. That's why IF and when they'll come back, you will say no thanks. Life is bizarre!

This thread completely defined my situation. I keep telling my gf/ex that this is a phase, I guess the only thing that could heal the situation is space.

Yeah, probably will do nothing but hurt your situation to tell her that. You're just asking her to prove you wrong. People don't like to be called out or told what they are doing. Just focus on yourself, and go NC.

My situation matches 90% of this.... except our relationship wasn't longterm. She broke up with me 3 months into our relationship but we were about to slip into some serious commitments (such as I moving to China with her in 1.5 years when she graduates from University here in New Zealand).

Contradicting reasons:

Mixed bag here. The reason I got from her that we were too different. That I don't know what she wants, needs or thinking (Hey, I'm not psychic, you know!). We had some issues but nothing that couldn't be worked on. She told other people about the personality difference thing but also added stuff such as I was too nice of the person and that she likes guys slightly on the bad side (People don't want to be treated nice?). The remotely non-contradicting reason that she told other people is that she didn't feel that I could/would go to China with her when the time comes. Which is fair enough I guess. But other people told me that if they liked the person enough, they would try to help that person get past the obstacle or atleast wanted to believe it can be done.

Not much warning:

Moderate warning. The last day before she went for a holiday back home to China, we were getting along so well. We hugged and kissed before she went home... as I was walking back into my house, she called me to come back to her to hug her some more. The first few days when she got back to China was quite fine too. She would still call me pet names, say she misses me and pretty much reply to my txts instantaneously. A few days later she would tell me that I don't need to txt her so much as she doesn't feeling like replying me anymore. A further few days later, she told me to give up on her and she decided to break up with me on the reason that she will one day go back to China permanently. She said it's better to break it off now than later to spare the hurt. I was able to convince her to not break up that time and to let me try to go to China with her. During the next week, we talked every night but she wasn't as affectionate as before. A week later, she got angry at me for drinking with my work-mates after work. She stayed angry for a few day and I apologised everyday but she decided to break up with me saying that I was annoying her too much with apologies.

Change in lifestyle:

Can't really answer since I don't know what she's gets up to since we broke up.

Wishy-washy:

Said that I was her Best Friend a few days after the breakup, how wonderful that we would be going to university together and how she has me to have lunch with her all the time. I get very mixed signals. She would either ignore my txts or msn msgs outright or she would suddenly txt me about something trivial. Keep asking me if I would go to work on Fri and Sat (part time days that she works on) and that I have to show up to work on those days to be with her. Also not to go onto a lunch break without her but when lunchtime came, she went off on her own. She would get comfy with me and pull away.

Quickly entering a new relationship:

Don't know exactly when, but she is kinda in a LDR with somebody in China right now. Our mutual friend asked her if it was realistic to get into a relationship with somebody you don't really know and is quite far away. My ex replied to her that it's only 'kinda but not really' a relationship and that it's all for the sake of fun. She txts him, call him and talks to him online everyday apparently.

As for her sexual adult relationship experience:

I never asked about her sexual history. We've been intimate so I know she's not a V. I felt that she's not very experienced at all. She always seems to refer to her friends' stories about sex. Although I was not her first sexual partner, I was her first for various different sexual acts (or so she told me).

Upbringing:

Very pampered. She was brought up in quite a wealthy family that pampers her alot. She was sent here to study so her parents provide her with quite a bit of money to get by quite well.

Idolised me?

Indeed. Before and during the early stages of dating. Had loads of pet names for me and fought for my attention before we even started dating. Offered to not go on her holiday back to China to stay with me during the christmas holidays (infact, she got upset when I told her to choose herself instead of asking her to stay).

Age difference:

Only around 10months. I'm turning 25 at the end of the month and she just turned 24 alittle over 1 month ago. I personally hadn't been in too many relationships before her but I don't know, my friends tend to tell me that I seem to have quite a mature outlook about relationships.

Self-esteem:

Probably somewhere in the low range. Often worried that I would leave her because of her fiery temper. Conscious of her physical appearance. She savours the moments she gets hit on or been asked for her number (she doesn't give the number but likes to repeatedly comment that she got asked).

Firstly, I'd like to thank MayDay for a great OP. I thought I'd join up and share my experience and hopefully shed some light in the future, if things change.

Well, I was in a 5 yr relationship, engaged and with a wedding already organised. Our future was practically mapped out from day 1 as we got on so well.

But everything changed as soon as the wedding was booked. She became fearful and panicky about the whole thing and although she tried to cover it up, I could see that she was having doubts.

I just kind of brushed it off and put it down to a passing phase that she would overcome but as the months progressed towards the wedding, I could clearly sense some panic.

Over the course of 2 months she became quite distant and we started having small arguments over nothing where she was picking holes in the rleationship, but they weren't really valid reasons, just things that she thought would help her detach from her true fear of commitment.

So, the time came in mid December for her to drop the bomb on me and say:

I love you, but I'm not in love with you.

There's no spark there anymore

I can't marry my best friend

I don't know if I'm making the biggest mistake of my life

All fairly understandable reasons(?) but we both knew that there wouldn't fireworks after 5 yrs and what it's replaced by is something more constant and meaningful than some sort of whimiscal honeymoon period. The honeymoon ends after 2 years max if you're lucky...

Anyway, I moved out and went about life on my own again. Making lots of plans for the future and just keeping busy in general. It was hard and although she had given the reasons above, i thought they weren't strong enough to really validate letting go of something so rare and special...

4 weeks later I received a letter saying that she had been dishonest and in fact had feelings for someone at work. As she put it "I couldn't switch them off". So while being fearful of the wedding she started to like this guy at work and obviously saw lots of great things in him and maybe thought she would have a better life with him overall. She went on to say that she is already going out with him some 2 weeks after ending a 5yr relationship??! Some sort of denial perhaps but ultimately losing the shackles of pressure from the wedding so a double whammy you could say.

Since finding this out, I've gone NC and it has helped - the thought of her is ever present in my mind but I have no guilt, I'm not blaming myself and I'm looking ahead. She has the guilt to contend with.

Whether or not things with this new guy work remains to be seen. It's fairly early days so character traits etc. are hidden for well, at least 3 months. Time will tell as they say. If she does try to get back I am in 2 minds as this syndrome is something that people have to go through, so i do sympathise and understand the irrationality of it. The other part of me is saying, get your pride back and tell her where to go.

It really does depend on how she approaches me in the future and where I'm at in my life as well.

All I have to do now is focus on myself, not to neccessarily become a better person, but just move on and let them realise what a mistake they've made.

• Like 1

Wow, Dave, your story is exaclty the same as mine. Although I'm a woman. My ex left me last summer, for someone else, also after 5 years. Our relationship was as good as yours and although there were not yet specific plans to get married, we had just bought everything for the appartment, had made great holidays and were having a very good life together.

It now has been 6 months, and there has been NC, except regarding the furniture. I only sent him one email in September, asking for a chance, but he replied he didn't want to get back together. So NC for the rest of the months.

Until a few weeks ago, when I got 1-line email asking me to pay the money for the furniture (we agreed I would pay in January). I wrote back a long email, explaining how I felt (which I never had really done before). But no answer.

Last weekend my 30th birthday, and I got a message: enjoy your day today. It really came accross badly and I replied that under these circumstances I couldn't enjoy it. Since then NC, I will pay the furniture today.

Was I wrong, when he did contact me for practical matters, to let him know my feelings?

I know it's been already 6 months now, but to be honest I still feel much pain. What do you guys I should do now? And do you think he'll be happier with this new girl? They are now together for 5 months...

It hurts doesn't it when they shut you out? You think, they were my best fried for so many years and now this? Thing is they're actually doing you a favour and letting you know there really is no chance of anything in the future. Not while he is enjoying himself with this new lady. If you love him, then be happy for him.

Take what you've learnt from this relationship and use it in your next one but first you have to let it all go so you're ready to give your love again.

Good luck and be strong.

What do the other guys think of this?

And why do they act to distant suddenly? I mean, we were happy together. OK, there were some issues at the end but that was because his head was with someone else. He didn't tell me though, and as soon as I figured out what was going on through an sms, he left. And left for good. Came to take his stuff while I was at work.

I had to ask to see each other for explanantion, which he did, but got no clear answers.

So, we were happy together for 5 years. He met this girl and decided he was not happy anymore with me. He probably cheated although does not admit. For me this was all so unexpected as he never told me he was unhappy. And now, 6 months later he is still togehter with her. I have paid for the furniture so I guess this is it then???

So strange, I was the love of his life and he was thinking about getting married....

hi Can cig also apply when the ex says she wants to be by her self for now and forever and doesnt want a relationship of any kind with anyone?? the reason i replied to this thread is because , me and my ex got on great everything was there, really loved eachother (so i thought) .We were also talking kids living together etc, Then in nov i said i was ready to try for a baby, after her saying time and again that it was right for us to do. Any way two days latershe sent me a letter to say that even though she had meant all he had said, she couldnt see herself having another child (she already has 2) and sorry for hurting me but just wanted to be on her own. Ive never been so shocked or hurt.

Any way a month later we were back together after her saying she now knew her feelings and what she wanted, and was sorry for hurting me and would never do it again. We had a great xmas together. Ps i have always treated her perfect unlike her other ex`s. Then we had one slight fall out, and she said that she didnt want the * * * * of a relationship. She honestly only had love and support off me. We broke up until she found she was preg , got back for a week she lost the baby, and said she didnt want to see me, (she couldnt handle it) so we went lc, for two wks. ( she is also a very negative person, and in that time went on non stop about her problembs) then sent me a letter to say it was over.

My reason for joining this thread is that it said all the , im happy on my own (she had sounded far from it). I just want to put my feelings 1st for once, (ie always been in relationships bad ones at that, which she said ours was only good one ) I think she may be depressed and and in time will work out exactly what we had together. thats why i relate it to gigs. I just cant work out why she threw it all away.

What do the other guys think of this?

And why do they act to distant suddenly? I mean, we were happy together. OK, there were some issues at the end but that was because his head was with someone else. He didn't tell me though, and as soon as I figured out what was going on through an sms, he left. And left for good. Came to take his stuff while I was at work.

Guilt and relief are usually pretty good guesses. Its not pleasant to see someone you hurt.

• Like 1

I think they act distant because in their mind you are not with them anymore. They are kind of secretly detaching themselves from you. This of course is not the healthy way to end a relationship and move into another one. A 5 yr relationship needs to be grieved and dealt with so you're ready for the next one. The problem with these type of rebound relationships is that there's a lot of emotional baggage included and it can put a strain on things. That's why a lot of them fail because the dumper hasn't properly moved on beforehand.

It is shocking how people do this, but it is part of their journey in life as much as this bad experience is to you. Just because he's in denial and enjoying himself - it's a big distraction from his real feelings. In time it will eventually creep up on him and then he'll know how you felt. By then, you'll be fine and he may well be at square one having to sort out 2 messed up relationships, which could be a nightmare.

Like I said before, you really need to focus on yourself and go through all the emotions before you come out the end feeling good. It will take time but stay positive and try and do things that make you feel good. You can do whatever you want now - you have freedom so use it.

Keep in touch and let me know how you're getting on.

• Like 1

She sounds like she needs to work on her attitude a bit. The reason why I say this is because she just finishes a relationship because you have one argument. Why don't you tell her to sit down and talk things through like adults? She should respect that. If not, then she isn't ready for you.

Look after yourself and be strong now.

I agree that these kind of break-ups are the worst! My partner and I were together for over seven years and had plans to marry when he dropped the bomb on me that he wanted to "experience new things" and "find himself." The thing is that he is 26 and I'm 28. I guess it's later with us because we were together for a long time and he never really got to experience the single life. I think guys are influenced by society and their friends...they think they need to somehow conquer a bunch of women or prove that they've done a lot of things, etc. (some women too). I don't get it because I went through that phase when I was younger...but then again, men mature slower, right?

My relationship break-up meets your symptoms:

Grasping for straws/reasons YES. He cried and grabbed onto me as he dumped me. I think he actually wailed louder than I did! He begged me not to forget him or lose his number (and he was the dumper!). Earlier that day he said we weren't breaking up and that I shouldn't assume things. Then he turned around a few hours later and said we had to talk and dumped me. First he said it was because I need to be more independent. Then it was because HE needs to be more independent. Then he said it was because he isn't ready to be a husband/father but swore he still loves me. Then he said it was because he was worried about me losing my job. It didn't make much sense.

Not much warning that something is going on before the actual break. : YES. Things were perfect just a few days before. He even had given me a Christmas card that said I am part of his family and the woman he loves.

An extreme change in lifestyle: YES. He grew out his hair into a giant afro, started wanting to wear different clothes, and talked about moving to another state. He also started wondering if women would find him attractive since he put on weight. I also know he was looking at porn although he was honest about it.

Wishy-washiness on the part of the dumper. They love you, but aren't IN love with you. They say that this doesn't mean you two are over forever and maybe someday down the road you'll be together again. At the same time, they'll tell you to move on. : YES! He said he still loved me but that maybe someday we would be together because he has a place in his heart for me. He said he wasn't going after anyone else, he justed wanted to be independent and not rely on anyone or have anyone rely on him. He basically said not to date other people but don't wait for him because he's not saying he's coming back for sure.

Quickly entering new relationships with people they aren't very compatible with. I don't know yet...it hasn't been determined. I haven't heard anything or seen any evidence that he's with anyone yet, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Thank you for the great post and a chance to vent again too!

To me this seems to fit my relationship dead on, but my story has a bit of a twist.

I have been in the most wonderful relationship of my life. Withstanding almost 3 years of marriage without any major falters. I am 25, my is wife 24 and we are both fresh out of college, probably going back.

I have noticed a change in her lately. She seems somewhat disinterested in my emotional and physical love. I tried to talk to her about it, but obviously she was experiencing something she couldn't explain.

I have been struggling trying to determine if my life direction and career choice is the best for me and my relationship. I kinda fell into a depression and my marriage has taken the brute force of it. I feel like if I was in a better place my life and wife would want to stay with me. However, she assures me that this has nothing to do with it and that she just needs space.

The ball drops yesterday and I find out that she needs to experiment with women. The entire experience. The love, lust, and monogamy of a women to women relationship. This other person was talking to her and identified a problem my wife was having in our seemingly perfect relationship. That was that even though my wife and I regard each other as soul mates, best friends, and the greatest of a couple, there is still some uneasiness or something missing that makes sense all the sudden with a women.

This is an absolute shock to me. I know that I have a great relationship with my wife and i we were both making plans to be together for the long haul. Now out of the blue she is not moved by the fact that we need to work things out in our relationship regarding my depression and the effects on our relationship. Her desire and need to explore the women experience takes presidence to our needs as a couple.

I am at a total loss. I feel like I should never of gotten myself so wrapped up in a relationship to one day let something like this possible take it all away. I feel like I am going to be feeling all the pain myself. Yes, if she decides she needs to be with a women regardless of how perfect of a man I can be to her, then we both lose. We both lose almost three years of an immensely gratifying relationship. This doesn't bother her though. She told me I should date and we will be soul mates still, the best of friends. She doesn't want to get a divorce until she knows that this is what she really needs. So that leaves me to temporarily hang and wait for her to figure it out, possibly date a little, and then we might get back together if this is just a stage or a process she needs to figure out. She still wants me in her life forever, just not as a couple. She told me that it is not fair that all the sudden she can just cause me so much pain while she enjoys the easier switch over to another relationship. I identify in that statement, and don't think it's fair, it's just life i guess. She said you know, "Husband," I am finding out that I am really attracted to women and the gay lifestyle. I need to figure this out. It might turn out that I need to be with a women, and even such a perfect man can't fulfill this void that a women seems to feel. We might just have to be the best of friends and not together, maybe not."

She doesn't have any answers other than she needs to experience this and knows she can't continue to have the best of both worlds. She can't say that We will leave each other temporarily or for the rest of our lives. I also know that she needs to be allowed to experience this because if she really needs to be with a women then I don't want to be wasting my time, making her somewhat less miserable knowing something better is around the corner, or accross the road, where the grass seems a little greener. Yes, I would still want to be together and this all to be a case if greener grass syndrome, but what if it's not. Does anyone have any insight, or feel that this post is better fitting under a different topic?

Anyways, I had the night to sleep on it. I feel extremely hurt and told her that we need to seek some professional help (yes, other than on the internet, but this helps to and I am open to anything anyone has to offer me in advice) We will try to work this out, if it is even workable.

I know that if I leave her for this then yes, as it seems, out of nowhere I will be losing it all. And on top of it all, there might not be a coming back together if the grass is truly greener for her. What a mess. Thanks for listening guys and ladies.

She sounds like she needs to work on her attitude a bit. The reason why I say this is because she just finishes a relationship because you have one argument. Why don't you tell her to sit down and talk things through like adults? She should respect that. If not, then she isn't ready for you.

Look after yourself and be strong now.

At that time she just wouldnt speak to me at all even though i tried numorus times to put it right, she put the shutters up. The row didnt even involve me raising my voice. She had shown in the past that if u didnt agree with her off the wall ideas, that she would sulk and finish at the drop of a hat.

OMG! I can't tell you how much this post hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what I have just experienced. My husband walked out on my after 4 months of marriage, yes 4 months. We had been together for almost 7 years and about 6 months ago began going to work happy hour from 5 until 10:30 each Wednesday. Suddenly there is a 22 year old blonde on his myspace page, he is 31 and he tells me she is a coworker but that she is married, she is not. Then around Xmas after he is living with his mom for 3 months his car is parked at her house while he is out of town and her neighbor tells me that my husband is her boyfriend.

So thanks for this post it really hit home for me.

At that time she just wouldnt speak to me at all even though i tried numorus times to put it right, she put the shutters up. The row didnt even involve me raising my voice. She had shown in the past that if u didnt agree with her off the wall ideas, that she would sulk and finish at the drop of a hat.

When they close down on you like that then that just means their thoughts are "elsewhere". That's exactly what happened to me - they start playing different music and off in a world of their own. Lala land. I'm afraid you've lost them by then. They become a victim of temptation in other areas - fresh green pastures you could say. Ultimately once the honeymoon period is over, that lovely grass suddenly needs mowing and maybe a few weeds in there too.

Sounds like she had quite a lot of control too so you're best off, moving on and showing yourself what you're capable of. When you get another woman (and you will) you'll look back and chuckle to yourself.

OMG! I can't tell you how much this post hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what I have just experienced. My husband walked out on my after 4 months of marriage, yes 4 months. We had been together for almost 7 years and about 6 months ago began going to work happy hour from 5 until 10:30 each Wednesday. Suddenly there is a 22 year old blonde on his myspace page, he is 31 and he tells me she is a coworker but that she is married, she is not. Then around Xmas after he is living with his mom for 3 months his car is parked at her house while he is out of town and her neighbor tells me that my husband is her boyfriend.

So thanks for this post it really hit home for me.

That's horrible. I feel sorry for you. You deserve better and will get better than that. Try not to hold a candle for him, move on so he wakes up and get your life sorted out. You will come out on top of all this.

Well, at least you can see it's not your fault. It is her going off and seeing what's out there. Her life has gone on a complete change of course. The thing is, the grass is never greener. She has not even grieved for your relationship, because in the back of her mind she feels it is there just in case her plans don't work out.

It probably sounds impossible at a time like this, so just grieve and get it all out. It helps with the moving on process. As well as grieving you need to balance it with positive things, get in touch with old friends and maybe do some hobby that can maintain your focus. Do whatever you feel will fill your life with good things.

You also have to allow yourself some space to let it out too as switching it off is not healthy. You will be alright though. If you need to come on and let me know how you're getting on then that's fine by me.

Be strong!

• kamurj changed the title to "The Grass Is Greener" Syndrome