Broke up 2 weeks ago - want to get back together

Sydney_Beach

Hey, my boyfriend of 1 1/2 years (best friend for 4 years) broke up with me about 2 weeks ago. It's a complicated situation, but basically we got into a big fight and he said he couldn't do it anymore. Two days later I had to leave for school accross the country so I haven't seen him through all of this. The breakup happened over the phone and text...

Anyway, we talked about three days ago and he still says he doesn't think it can work because we're too different. Although I know he thinks we're different because we both go so stressed about an argument and picked out little things and argued about them when they didn't really matter. He said he didn't think we should talk because we'd miss each other too much and that it'd give me hope and he wasn't in the place to get together. Other thing is, we bought a plane ticket together for me to come home in October (about two weeks before the breakup) and he said he didn't think it'd be good for us to see each other because all our feelings would come back etc.

Knowing him I think he is still caught up in his emotions and figuring things out. Just the day before he was talking about our future children, and we had made plans to go to D.C. for his uncle's wedding in Nov, and going to his family's cabin next summer. I think it was our last fight that just made him snap. This space away has totally cleared my head of the fight and all of these things we both argued about are so petty. When we talked on the phone it was like talking to a wall. I said I felt so different after some space but he told me I was just saying that etc. He wouldn't listen and he would randomly start getting worked up. And when I would start talking about us he kept trying to get me to stop and he sounded like he was on the verge of crying. At the end of the conversation he kept repeating it's over, we're single, so I kept my composure and said ok (I wasn't going to beg more) and I went to hang up and saw he hadn't yet - he stayed on the line - but I clicked the phone off. I had said what I needed to. I was proud and remained calm and very nice on the other end through!

My plan is to give him a month until I come home not talking. But I don't know how to approach the situation come October. I'm so afraid he won't see me, but by then we won't have seen each other for almost 1 1/2 months so I'm hoping he'll have regained some composure! I was thinking about writing a letter and reading it to him or something.

I need advice on how to make my few days home next month successful. I love him so much and I know this can work out. I just have that feeling about him - he is the one I'm supposed to be with. He's 20 by the way, I'm 21. Don't know if that helps. I know it's young, but I can't shake my gut feeling about him.

Anything would be very much so appreciated! Thank you

Archived