What are your experiences with "Getting Over An Ex" books?

I read one the last time I tried NC, that was supposed to help you get on your way within thirty days... After 30 days I was a lot happier with my life, but I was nowhere near over my ex and I couldn't stop thinking of him/that I wanted to talk to him again. (I did start talking to him again and we got back together, which is why I'm here today.)

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences/book recommendations/etc. I'm tempted to pick up the book again but I'm afraid it'll hurt rather than help.

I read one the last time I tried NC, that was supposed to help you get on your way within thirty days... After 30 days I was a lot happier with my life, but I was nowhere near over my ex and I couldn't stop thinking of him/that I wanted to talk to him again. (I did start talking to him again and we got back together, which is why I'm here today.)

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences/book recommendations/etc. I'm tempted to pick up the book again but I'm afraid it'll hurt rather than help.

Time and distance were the only things that worked for me. Now I could care less

I read one the last time I tried NC, that was supposed to help you get on your way within thirty days...

30 days isn't a very long time, so it's no wonder you still wanted to talk to him, etc. There's no time frame for this sort of thing. It could take you 30 days to be ok, it could take 30 weeks, it could take 30 years (let's hope not though!)

For sensitive, still-hurting types I would not recommend "He's Just Not that into You" or "It's Called a Breakup Because It's Broken." If you have the ability to laugh at the situation a little bit they're pretty good. Also if you're through the beginning stages of the breakup and can generally deal with it better then you'd be okay with these.

I have both of those (and the pocket sized "He's Just Not That Into You" too, and I think they were great. But I agree, you have to be able to laugh at the situation.

I just went and looked through my collection and I thought I had a lot more, but I've recently moved interstate and must have left some back at my parents place. I found these ones which I remember were pretty helpful (my breakup was almost 2 years ago now, so I haven't read these books for a while):

"The Breakup Survival Gide" by Amanda Booth

"The A-Z Of Being Single" by Jeff Green (this is a humorous one)

"He's Just Not That Into You" and "It's Called A Breakup Because It's Broken"

And from the Girlosophy series "The Breakup Survival Kit" by Anthea Paul. This one in particular I stumbled accross about a week or so after I'd been dumped. I was still at the crying-every-5-mins stage, and couldn't think about anything else, was devastated, yada yada yada - you know what it's all about. I sat down in the park in the fresh air, read this from cover to cover, and as I closed the book after reading the last page, I felt this strange calmness come over me. Up until then, nothing anyone could say to me was of any consolation. When I read this book, it was amazing how much better it helped me to feel, and that's when I stopped crying every 5 mins, and started to pick myself up and put myself back together and try to be happy again. It took a long time to do so, but reading this book was the starting point.

Hope I helped

Actually, I found them very useful.

They are especially good if you find your friends' eyes glazing over when you bring up your breakup or ex yet again because they feel they have nothing left to say about it.

Reading these books give you a way to work thru it on your own without going over the same ground ad naseum with your friends.

I have actually found journaling to be super helpful, I did 40 days 40 nights, a journey of self discovery. It has a lot of reading material too. It just forces you to focus on fixing yourself for 40 days, which I think is great because you deal with your stuff instead of focusing on the person you broke up with you. It's made me feel happier and healthier and realize I am a great person with or without my ex. Plus it's really helped me vent when my friends and family were pretty sick of hearing about the breakup.

Archived