Life after death/life

bobbyp

It's so confusing, life.

Recently, about the last 6 months I've being thinking about life, and what it is. IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE...AT ALL. What is it? Where are we, are we just looking at an illusion, if so where is this illusion, what is it we are seeing? And then there is the universe, where did it all start? Say the big bang for example, where did the start of the big bang come from? then where did the start to that come from? When you get to the ULTIMATE start of things, that must of come from somewhere! So it is IMPOSSIBLE for anything to start, but the impossible has happened because I'm typing this and you're reading this.

Also life after death, it scares the hell out of me.

There is one possibility that I fear... The possibility of anything. Some possibilities are terrifying. For example, You die... your conscious remains in a state of nothingness. Nothing at all, try to understand nothing. You have no senses, you can't see hear taste feel smell or anything. You can't even perceive black because black is something. You just simply "exist" in eternal nothingness for eternity.....

Alone forever. And you are stuck, right now, if you are reading this, this will happen to you, you can't escape this future, you kill your self you end up there, you can't kill your self in "nothingness' as you are nothing.That is the one thing I fear.

What are your views?

I just feel so stuck now in life, I can't escape, when I die, I go to to possible a great place like heaven, but then...I'm in heaven? for how long? for ever? eternity? try and imagine eternity, where do I go from heaven? I can't die, I'm just stuck in heaven.

Through the day, I just get on with life, but when I'm by my self, or in bed I can't help but think about it.

Also! I've come to the conclusion we are all in a system of some sort, we are born, we are made to go to school, and we are made to work, and then retire and then die. This is life, we should be able to live on the hills like hippies and not have a care in the world...

I think about this kind of stuff all the time. I just can't figure out what the purpose of life is or what my purpose for being here is. The universe is just so vast and hard to understand and it fascinates the hell out of me. Sometimes I think everything is just a big dream world and I'm actually living a whole different life elsewhere.

We are put on earth to learn a lesson. Each of us will have a different lesson to learn. To find out what that is, don't ask, LISTEN. When I stopped asking Why and started noticing my life and listening to my inner voice, it all came to me. I believe it is different for everyone, so enjoy the journey. If you have learned your lesson well, there is a reward for a job well done when you die. If you have ignored your inner voice (we all have one) you get to come back and do it again and again untl you get it right. I am a semi-Christian but don't believe every word of the Bible. Organized religion turns me off, though I guess people would call me a fairly straight-laced person in some areas. Life is different for each of us, and so is death. It is natural and happens to everyone. That is one nice thing about growing older, you come to accept your own death with much less fear and more acceptance.

This is my view.

We do exist. Our lives have a beginning and an end. Death is inevitable and everyone knows it (including animals). There's no question about that. We all have a moral compass (meaning we know good from evil, right from wrong). We know from childhood that we have to submit to authority (our parents, school teachers, the police, etc.) and if we don't we get punished - The greater the offense, the greater the punishment.

I know for a fact that we all desire to be loved (whether we admit it or not). I've heard countless people "searching" for something, but they don't know what it is. People caught up in addictions that will never quench their appetite. Just look around this board, people are in relationship after relationship ... they cling to it like it's some sort of a life raft, yet they are still as lost and lonely as ever. Ever wonder why?

My point is that most of the world searches for something greater than ourselves. Some find it and many choose to ignore it. And everyone else is content with just "living the life" in this life. So you have to ask yourself, "which category do I fall under?"

One question where did EVERYTHING come from?

You're right, there is no way of knowing, because there is no answer, what ever the answer is, it'll then be the question where did that come from. I think we are just trapped in some really messed up illusion type of thing.

I understand your opinions, I like the idea of everyone their own lesson.

One question where did EVERYTHING come from?

You're right, there is no way of knowing, because there is no answer, what ever the answer is, it'll then be the question where did that come from. I think we are just trapped in some really messed up illusion type of thing.

I understand your opinions, I like the idea of everyone their own lesson.

I hate to burst your bubble man, but this ain't no illusion It's real my friend. More so than you think.

I hate to burst your bubble man, but this ain't no illusion It's real my friend. More so than you think.

Well, you try and prove this is real, and not an illusion, what is real? and what is an illusion? maybe everything we deceive as real, is a illusion. But don't worry about the bubble ; )

Another theory, I was thinking of. You treat "I" as you, so it's as you are saying this to your self.

I am the only person alive, I am the only person living a life, I am the only one who thinks inside of my head, everybody else are robots, perfectly designed to revolved around my life, there is no way I can prove that any one of these 5 billion people are actually alive, there's nothing I can do to prove it.

I am the only person alive, I am the only person living a life, I am the only one who thinks inside of my head, everybody else are robots, perfectly designed to revolved around my life, there is no way I can prove that any one of these 5 billion people are actually alive, there's nothing I can do to prove it.

If this were true, who is designing all these robots and for what purpose?

Also how can you be sure that you are not a robot either, I mean if you were perfectly programmed, how would you tell the difference?

My friends, welcome to Philosophy 101. These questions that bobbyp and the others are contemplating have been pondered since Man stood upright. Let me offer a few thoughts:

-To paraphrase George Carlin's ideas on reincarnation: At one time there were 6 people. 6 people with 6 souls. Ok. The people die and the souls go back to wherever, and 6 more people take their place. Now there are 7 billion people. ALL claiming to have souls. Somebody printing up souls or something?

-An atheist philosopher once said something to the effect of: "Before I was born, I didn't exist, and it didn't bother me then. It won't bother me after I'm dead."

-Many people have "died" and been brought back. None of these people say that dying was a "bad" experience. Almost to a man, they describe the same experience; floating over their body, seeing the Doctors working on them, then entering a tunnel, etc. Critics say that this is a hallucination brought on by lack of oxygen to the brain. But then why is there such uniformity in the near-death experience? How is it that they describe the medical people working on them, and the scene o their "death", in such detail?

-I, myself, subscribe to (but not all of) the Christian faith. When I die, I will go to Heaven. My whole concept of consciousness will change. I will become enlightened and all my questions will be answered. I will get to see my Mom and Dad again.

-I think it was in the movie "Oh God", where God was asked, "Why do people have to die?" God replied, "Otherwise nobody would talk to me." Well said.

-One last point for the Atheists: Except for a few numbskull's, we all believe in Evolution. It has given us some remarkable things; eyesight, sex, hearing, for example. In the millions of years that there has been life on the planet, don't you think Evolution would have developed an afterlife by now?

Well, you try and prove this is real, and not an illusion, what is real? and what is an illusion? maybe everything we deceive as real, is a illusion.

Ok, I'll give it a shot.

Firstly, take into account everything that I mentioned in my first post. Secondly, there's no way that everyone else is perfectly designed to revolve around your life. What keeps you from going into a store and stealing bread and water? The fear of being incarerated. Which means that you have to submit to authorities greater to yourself, whether you like it or not.

I can prove that everyone, including you, is alive because of cause and effect. If someone hits you, you will feel pain. If a girlfriend embraces you, you feel joy, you feel acceptance. There's no denying it, no matter how you spin it.

Also, we are all governed by time. For example, yesterday will never be given back to you. You can run backwards and retrace footsteps all you want, but time is still moving clockwise.

Let me get to your theory of "illusion." Here goes ...

Imagine if I showed up to someone's house with an expensive video camera. And I claimed with all my might, "This camera happened by chance! It's not real!"

The average person would probably look at me like I was crazy, right? Because they would look at the camera, examine how complex of a machine it is and say something like, "Are you kidding me? Look at how intricate it is. Someone clearly built it."

Now, I challenge you to pick up a health book sometime and see how truly complex the human body is.

You say this is an illusion, but you can't even guarentee your next breath. None of this is an illusion.

I've always thought of studying philosophy, but I know people aren't going to like me after saying this, but inside it just seemed a bit of a...cop out, and I don't believe there are enough careers, correct me if I'm wrong.

And I like them quotes, I stuck one in my MSN personal message : )!

And, I understand what you're trying to say, but how do you know that they are alive, they could just be exactly the same as me and you but with no soul, they react the same as me and you, as they are perfectly designed. No matter what tests you do, you can't prove that there is actually someone there, and you can't prove that I am actually alive, and I'm not just some robot who's being programmed perfectly to do this.

And about the illusion thing, what you need to try and grasp is that I'm on about EVERYTHING as an illusion, EVERYTHING. Just think what is around you. Everything in this life, from the people, to cups, to expensive cameras are all just apart of it.

And, I understand what you're trying to say, but how do you know that they are alive, they could just be exactly the same as me and you but with no soul, they react the same as me and you, as they are perfectly designed. No matter what tests you do, you can't prove that there is actually someone there, and you can't prove that I am actually alive, and I'm not just some robot who's being programmed perfectly to do this.

And about the illusion thing, what you need to try and grasp is that I'm on about EVERYTHING as an illusion, EVERYTHING. Just think what is around you. Everything in this life, from the people, to cups, to expensive cameras are all just apart of it.

You keep mentioning "robots" and whatnot, but every machine has a designer.

You keep mentioning "robots" and whatnot, but every machine has a designer.

Yeah, which is another thing...

Also if we are all real, and say we began as tiny little cells billions and billions of years ago, someone must of created them cells, or created the very start. But where did he/she come from?

Also...where did God come from?!?

Yeah, which is another thing...

Also if we are all real, and say we began as tiny little cells billions and billions of years ago, someone must of created them cells, or created the very start. But where did he/she come from?

Also...where did God come from?!?

I'd love to explain it in greater detail, but then the thread would be locked haha

Oh wow, this is the "meaning of life" thing, isn't it? I spent a good deal of time talking about this many years ago with a friend and we were very close to finding the meaning of life.

Then we sobered up, darn, I hate it when that happens.

Seriously, we all have a very personal view on this, and I also believe we go through life seeking and never really finding the whole answer, we find pieces along the way, as life takes up down that winding path. Each fork in the path we take brings us to a alternate life, we will never know what the other path may have held.

"Wisdom doesn't always come with age, some times age comes alone"

What you believe to be absolute at age 20 may seem trivial and meaningless to you at age 70. Life does that to you, and you can't stop it. The only thing in life that doesn't change is the fact that everything changes.

I could take this on for hours. Front porch philosophy is my specialty.

I've been thinking about this stuff alot lately, too. I experienced losing a family member for the first time in December (my uncle). I have never been religious but a few years ago began to believe in God (he helped me with a few things). Then I took sort of a philosophy class in which I read parts of the bible for the first time, talked about several views from various philosophers, etc.

I'm torn on what to believe. There is no proof that an afterlife exists and there is no proof that it doesn't. I want to believe there is something and that I will see my uncle again, but I don't know if that will ever happen.

Honestly, I almost want to go back to the times when I never thought about any of this stuff. Ignorance is bliss right? It just seems like lately I think about life and it's purpose way too much and I have begun to realize that I am now 25 years old and haven't done anything with my life and I get really bummed out. Then I drink. Maybe I should post in another thread now.

Between everything we know and everything we don't, lies belief and between certainty and belief lies faith. No one can tell you what to believe in, all you can do is search inside yourself and ask the questions for which there are no true answers and find something to believe in.

Sometimes, deep down. I believe I just believe in God, because I'm scared not too. I think, if I don't pray, I may go to hell, and it makes me feel selfish and bad, but I also like to feel that I'm not alone in this world, and praying like makes me feel as if I'm talking to someone about it.

Ok let me tell you a story. The day my grandfather died he woke from the coma he had been in for weeks. He had cancer and had been in the hospital for 2 years, trying not to die. When he woke from the coma he said, It is sooo beautiful here, the flowers and the blue sky, do not worry about me. I am happy. A few hours later he was dead.

The truth is whilst we are alive we will never know the answers, from the beginning of humanity people have been asking the same questions and just end up going around in circles. You can ask why? forever and never get an answer because there is always another why?. I think you will never know how and why we were created and where we will go after this life, some things you have to accept are a mystery and you will never know in this life time living here on earth.. All we have is own reality and we have to live that to the best we can. If everything is an illusion, but it feels real and this is what you are dealt with, what difference does it make if it is an illusion or not, because you still have to live it every day?

And I think you can only understand death once you understand life. That life is temporary, a gift, a place to experience, to love, and learn lessons and sometimes it is a struggle. And we have to utilise the oppourtunity that is given to us because we are all going to die and you never know it might be today.

I stopped breathing one night and while I was "out" I saw this golden, glowing ball on my bedroom wall. I crawled out of my bed and went over to it. The ball said, "Touch me and you will know all there is to know." As I was reaching out to touch it, something made me look back and I saw myself still lying on the bed, asleep. In a flash, I was back in my body and woke up shaking. This happened over thirty years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday. It made me re-evaluate my life and turned me into a very spiritual, if not religious, person. I know God will give me all the answers when I die and I look forward to that. I don't tell many people this because they say I was asleep and it was only a dream. I know it wasn't that at all, it was so beautiful and moving. Other people say I'm crazy. I am perfectly sane, I just know what happened and I KNOW we go on in some form.

Archived