Compliments on attractiveness from Men?

stranded247

I've always felt that men are more sincere than women when complimenting another woman on her looks. It seems to me that girls tell eachother they are pretty casually all the time just for the sake of it. I never see guys do this, i've always believed most guys genuinely mean it if they say it. The other day I was talking to a friend about how a guy told me he though I had looks and brains and I looked gorgeous and how it was so nice to hear it because I felt it was sincere. She turned around and said that she had a huge problem taking compliements and never believed it, especially from guys as she automatically felt they were just trying to get in her pants. Guys do you really compliment girls just to get in their pants? I figured if you want to get in their pants you'll try to anyway, compliments aside. And how can you usually tell if a guy is being genuine with his compliments and not just trying to get into your pants (regardless of whether he would like to or not lol)?

Funny, I always felt the exact opposite.

I'm more flattered when receiving compliments from other women because there isn't an alterior motive. Plus, it makes me respect a woman more who can give other woman compliments on their looks- It shows they are secure enough about themselves and mature which is refreshing with so many women ready with a hair trigger to put other women down.

Anyway, sometimes with men you can't tell.

There are lots of men who are sincere with their compliments.

There are lots of men who just use them as a sexual advance.

Of the latter group, there are a lot that are really good at smooth taling and know how to sound innocent and sweet.

I'd say the best immediate indicator is body language.

If a guy can say it but doesn't seem enraptured in you (Staring, flirting, moving in, eager to touch you, etc) but just says it and moves on it's more likely to be just a compliment.

Well it really depends on the compliment. I'd say that complimenting you about something specific would be more genuine than just saying you're beautiful etc. I have no idea why some guys think that complimenting a girl is a surefire way to get into her pants though.. were it so easy.

Take every compliment you get as flattery. The level of sincerity is actually moot unless one is basing their self esteem ON the compliments.

Compliments should be flattering and give you an ego boost, but not be an end all be all to self esteem. That said, enjoy all compliments and try not to over analyze their intent.

P.S. - i never tell a woman she is pretty or looks nice on a given day unless i really mean it.

I have no idea why some guys think that complimenting a girl is a surefire way to get into her pants though.. were it so easy.

Some men will say, whatever they think a woman wants to hear, in order to get into her pants. That includes complimenting....as well as having her believe he is more serious in his intentions that he actually is, saying he wants to marry her with a fortnight of meeting. This is especially true, of *some* guys you will meet online, who are merely looking to get in your pants. Compliments laid on thickly, stinks of insincerity...and I find it 'offputting'. Men however, seem to think we like it and then wonder why we don't talk to them ever again and simply disappear...

I also feel more flattered if I receive compliments from other women. As someone else said, there is no motive behind one woman giving another, a compliment. And I only give another woman a compliment, if I mean it...

If a guy complimented me and once only...I'd be more inclined to believe he was being 'sincere'...

I would say I only compliment woman if I mean it. If I think you are pretty or look nice I will tell you. If I do not I will not. If i like what you are wearing I will tell you and if I do not I will not say a word. I never compliment someone for the sake of complimenting it. It means I really like whatever I am complimenting. That is just me though.

I also think some men have alterior motives, not all though.

Well I find compliments from woman to be more genuine than from girls. I personally will not compliment a girl unless I truly mean it otherwise I feel phony and like I'm trying to suck up. But I've noticed especially with teenage girls they will tell their friends who are not attractive things like "oh you're beautiful" when they don't mean it, I think mostly they just tell eachother to boost one and others self-esteem which I guess is ok. But I hate it when that happens to me, like my friend trying to convince me I'm skinny when I know I am not-its just embarrassing.

Yeah I think the best indicator is body language but only to an extent, a guy might be staring you in the eye because he truly believes you are beautiful and can't control his desire for you.

I think it depends on the girl and how many times a guys says something. If guys every day say your beautiful then chances are that they find you very attractive sexually and just letting you know that they would have sex with you in a heart beat. However if you don't get compliments often and a guy says you are beautiful during a conversation in a sincere way (Not expecting you to take it seriously or not attempting to flirt), then he probably is serious. But I think women shouldn't have much problem with this as much as men. If men are just average, they don't get compliments but maybe a couple a year.

If the guy wants to get in your pants, it means that he's attracted to you, so, obviously, he thinks you're pretty. Yes, it's crass, but even when the motivation in complimenting you is to get you in bed, it's still a compliment, in that he wouldn't want to sleep with you if he thought you weren't gorgeous.

Yeah I think the best indicator is body language but only to an extent, a guy might be staring you in the eye because he truly believes you are beautiful and can't control his desire for you.
That's the problem with body language: you will need to be able to assert multiple clues all over the body and make a conclusion in a heartbeat, and then keep on doing this. Mastering it to the extent where you can do this (without it being noticeable you are doing this) takes time. Moreover to me it seems that the minds of people are very fickle nowadays so a guy with genuine interest may quickly turn into a guy with only mindless sex on his mind.

I think that most guys who are good in getting in girls pants are well aware that complimenting destroys attraction and puts girls in alert mode. Also, I believe giving good compliments is a skill which you need to learn, and given that it doesn't get you very far you might as well spend time learning other skills.

I think being told you're "beautiful" in itself is more sincere no matter where it comes from, more so than "you're hot" "you're fit" "you're gorgeous"

My girl friends say to eachother "you look really nice! !" when we go out or something, but we know they are being sincere because we are completely honest with eachother. But I agree with the OP that other girls just say it to eachother casually quite alot.

I believe woman less because when I was younger I always got "awwww, are'nt you really pretty sweety" and all that malarky.

I agree it depends on the guys words body language and the situation wether he is being sincere, I think anyone can figure it out really.

I used to be hugely paranoid with taking compliments I used to be scared to say anything really so I just did the typical nervous laugh and said, "nawww" like a big idiot lol. Because I expected, if I were to say yes, that they'd turn around and tell me they were joking or something lol

Guys who are good at getting into girls pants are I guess not that easy to spot because.. well they're good at it... they know what to say and how to approach I reckon.

I think being told you're "beautiful" in itself is more sincere no matter where it comes from, more so than "you're hot" "you're fit" "you're gorgeous"

I agree.

There is a saying

'Beware the man who calls you 'hot' and 'sexy' as opposed to 'beautiful'....he thinks with his d**k'...

So true.

Archived