-Very- nervous about call-back for job

This is stupid really but I can't find the courage to get myself to make one simple phone call. To fill everyone in, over this summer I did an internship at a very good company for about six weeks. I tried to work hard but was slightly depressed at the time because I realised I'm not a kid anymore nor am I ever going to be one (well that's the gist of it). At the end of those six weeks I had to go back and finish my thesis at uni. On my last day our team director called me aside for a chat. He said the team really like me and told me to call them again at the end of August to see if they had a position for me at their London office, up north or perhaps abroad. I was taken aback but really happy about that because I like the company's environment.

However, my team only makes a small part of a larger company, and the company as a whole is really cautious about allowing directors to employ new people, as this is project-based work and everyone is really wary of the recession. Well the end of August is here and I need to make plans for my life after my thesis hand-in date on the 10th of Sept. Plus I want to go home for a holiday first as I haven't seen my family in almost a year. I want to call back now but I'm so nervous it's paralysing. I don't even know what to say.

They also had another intern in after me and I just keep thinking to myself "What if they've changed their minds?" "What if they like the other guy better??" 'What if I say the wrong thing?"

I just feel like my confidence will completely collapse if they suddenly change their minds and say no. Because that was one job that was closer to being guaranteed than anywhere else. It's like if I fail this one, who's going to want to employ me with the way the market is going now?

Any wise words anyone??

Hey Pocket

Get on that phone!

Hun - really you have nothing to lose here. They liked you enough to ask you to call and see if there were any positions free so that is a great start.

Sure, they my say no, but that is likely to be because of the economic downturn than anything else. But at the end of the day, if you don't ask, you won't get.

You have to get out of this mindset that if they don't want you then nobody will because otherwise you will find yourself less and less wanting to apply for anything else. My advice to you would not only be to make this call, but to apply for some other positions too. If you make it through to interview then this will be great experience for you and help to boost your confidence.

Make the call!

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for the response. I know what you're saying is right and that I'm being a big baby here. You're right about applying to other positions as well, I've been pretty lax about that. I guess I'll just have to muster up some courage... or vodka lol I'm kidding, I won't go to the bottle. Would you think it weird if the answer was no and I asked if there was any way I could improve?

Hey Pocket

Yeah - definitely stay off the vodka!

To start with, I think you need to organise yourself well with new applications. Keep sending them and don't be too disheartened if interview offers are not flooding straight back in. Some companies may not even bother replying at all so it is a case of persistance.

You are talking yourself down here already - they already said they liked you! If they didn't it'd be the last thing on their minds lol. As I say, if the answer is no, it is much more likely to do with the economy.

I know you were worried about saying the wrong thing in your telephone conversation so why not give that some thought? BUT - the longer you leave it and beat yourself up the more you will worry and wind yourself up.

Come on - you can do it!

Mark

Hey Pocket

It is all about selling yourself in this world. You will find there are lots of things that you can get or do - you just need to take them.

Why put it off till tomorrow? Why not get it out of the way today? I used to be a bit like that and found I never got anything done.

What dya reckon? You aren't ringing to find out if you are pregnant, you aren't ringing to find out if you have some nasty desease!

Mark

Oh the pressure. You're right, it isn't the end of the world... I need that mental kick in the backside, the kind that makes people jump out of a plane when skydiving. I tend to mull things over and over and over until I actually forget what I was even thinking about. I promise I'll let you know how it went!

Archived