What to do with deposit

I had signed a contract with some clients to do business with them for their wedding (ceremony music). I use a pretty standard contract, which clearly states that if the musician cancels, the deposit will be refunded in full. However, for scheduling reasons, I will have to cancel and send them back their deposit.

The problem is that I've already done it, and they called me weeks later stating that they never received it in the mail. My mistake is that I decided to send the deposit back in a money order, so I don't have a way to track it/proof that it was received or deposited. thereforee, I'm re-sending the check. My question is, when should I send it? Their wedding is on August 30, which means there's a good chance they won't even look at it until well after the wedding. Should I still send it now, or wait?

You can track a money order... assuming you wrote down the numbers on it. Don't they usually have a carbon copy that you keep yourself for cases like this? Anyway, if you have no proof you sent a money order then I'd send the check right away. Waiting might just make them angry and you don't want them badmouthing you to their friends.. aka potential clients.

Archived