Thinking about working as a nanny... need some advice if its a good job or not...

So ive been thinking about getting a nanny job, and was wondering if anyone had some exper. on it... like whats the pros and cons about the job... i know it pays very well so just wanted some more insight on personal exper. on it. thank you everyone for the advice and help on this subject!

Have a set limit of what you would charge for one or two kids. Most people look for people who do have experience or cpr training. Kids with too many allergies is the worst, kids with crazy strict parents also bad. & angermanagement masturbating little kids are just weird. But I suppose if you really love kids and you want to be around screaming children than go for it!=] Okay some kids are sweet=]

I didn't mean any of that to be totally negative because I know your looking for pros!

I was never a nanny, but one thing that'd concern me is the fact that I would have to pay for my own health insurance. Yuck! Unless you go through an agency that will give you insurance, but I'm not sure if that's at all possible.

I'd also be concerned about vacation time, sick days, etc. Are you expected to go away with them? Can you take any days/weeks off for yourself, and if so, how many per year?

Last, but not least, ask yourself if you think you'd really enjoy being a nanny. It's a lot of responsibility, and won't always be fun and games. Dealing with kids is A LOT of work.

Wow! Finally a post I can give real insight on!

First off, I hope you have plenty of child experience before you get into nannying. Nannying is ALOT like being a parent and often results in the child loving you more than the parent if you spend more time with him or her than mom and dad do. You've also got to be willing to be a part of this family if your help will be required full time. This means you won't always agree with parents decisions but will HAVE TO obey or most likely lose your job. Also remember that every moment you spend with this child will be scrutinized by the child. They will learn from your every move, word and thought. On the positive side you get to hang out with kids, something I personally enjoy. You can show them all sorts of new, fun things to do. You can be a positive role model in a world full of crazies! The pay is typically good for nanny jobs but remember you get to deal with all types of bodily fluids to, even if the children are potty trained. My biggest piece of advice is to meet the kids before you accept the position. You don't want to be strapped with brats, but it does happen. All in all, I currently nanny and work part time in a day care and I love every minute of it, even when there is spit up running down my shirt and a toddler screaming in my ear.

Well i dont have a lot of exper. but im willing to learn and stuff.. i mean i know the basics of child care. i have friends who have children, and im very protective of them also, so i guess its not to bad... i donno im just thinking about it and i do love children and for some strange reason they like me a lot too. i am really good with children, i just think it would be fun and challenging at the same time.

Here un the UK nannys are paid rubbish and are overworked. You are not just a nanny you are a maid, a cook, a cleaner. And they really get taken advantage of. Make sure this isnt you!

Also, it is a very rewarding job andi f u get a nice family then your well in. BUT it is not a job to do if you want your own life. If your a live in nanny you wont be able to have friends over, partner round to stay. And often you will be wanted on the weekends too.

Consider it very carefully. You dont just have to be good with children, you have to be good with adults, cleaning, ironing, pets etc as well! good luck xxx

Archived