My stomach is in knots

I've had stomach cramping/bloating etc since Saturday night. We ate at a asian restraunt, and my sesame chicken was overcooked and had a weird taste to it. Didn't taste like it usually does. When I woke up Sunday I had a uneasy feeling in my stomach. Almost felt like butterflies/nervousness. I had diarrhea (sorry I know its TMI) 3 times Sunday. It didn't hurt to go. I felt somewhat better after that. Then this morning I was really gassy, and again, had diarrhea, twice. And again, felt better. I then get to work, and have this cramping/bloating in the middle of my stomach and my right side. Just feels knotted up. And again, I had diarrhea once again. It still feels uneasy, I'm not dying of pain but it's so knotted up. Any clue as to why?

I should also add I played football lastnight, and took a pretty hard hit to the right side of my rib cage/closest to my stomach.

I could be way off, but just some things from my test book:

Norwalk virus: They live in human intestines and contaminate feces. Improper hand washing is the most important cause of the Norwalk virus infection. They tend to appear during the fall and winter months, much like the flu and common cold. Norwalk virus may easily contaminate raw vegetables, prepared salads, raw shellfish, and contaminated water. The symptoms are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache, and low-grade fever.

ugh.... I actually just went through the worst bout of food poisoning I've ever had in my life for 48 hours last week ... but yeah, the cramping, bloated, painful feeling... that can come with it. If you haven't had a fever and vomiting, then you've actually probably had a very mild case, maybe just slight indigestion even.

Mine was so bad I had to go to the doctor and get a shot and pills to stop my nausea enough so that I could resume my prescription medication without trouble and get some food in me again.

The key thing to do is get hydrated. Food poisoning dehydrates you. Drink water, maybe gatorade... just be careful about sugar content because anything too sugary can trigger diarrhea again. If your tummy is still cramping up and feeling bloated, Imodium can help calm that down some. I was worried about that..... I thought that your system was supposed to clear everything out after food poisoning (and it is), but my doc said to try it anyways just if the cramping is still going on, and it helped some.

After that, for eating again, eat easy to digest foods like wheat (toast), applesauce, crackers... and potassium sources... like bananas, or dried apricots, since food poisoning can deplete that as well.

.... Hope that helps some.

Cross contamination as well.

6) Staphylococcus aureus-found on the skin, nose and mouth of people. Easily transmitted by sneezing, coughing, scratching skin and touching hair. Important to keep good personal hygiene habits and wash hands frequently. The symptoms of diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, fatigue appear within 2 to 4 hours later.

A case of food intoxication

12) Vibrio-Found in seawater. Fish, crab, oyster and seafood products. Very common seafood problem. Causes diarrhea and nausea and can last 2-5 days.

You should definitely go to a doctor to get it written down that it was indeed food poisoning because it has to be reported, unless you want someone else to possibly get it.

Urgent care, you should find out exactly what it is right away. They have to report it to the health department and I think you do too.

I'm not sure they have to report it... You certainly can bring it up to the restaurant though if you wish. The trouble is, there are many, many different types of food poisonings, and it is hard to guarantee that what made you sick came from one particular meal.

And unless you are also having vomiting and fever... or unless this continues another 24 hours (even after taking it very easy on your tummy), I don't know that you'd need to go to urgent care. Most self care should get you back healthy.

If you are worried though.... a visit to the doc never hurts. Well... cept your checkbook

That's the thing. I've had no nausea, fever, or vomiting. Just plain ol' diarrhea. I actually feel pretty good right now. When I stand up is when I feel the knotting/bloating. I'm gonna see how I feel in the a.m., if it's still there I'm definitely going to go in. Thanks for the feedback!

Cross contamination as well.

6) Staphylococcus aureus-found on the skin, nose and mouth of people. Easily transmitted by sneezing, coughing, scratching skin and touching hair. Important to keep good personal hygiene habits and wash hands frequently. The symptoms of diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, fatigue appear within 2 to 4 hours later.

A case of food intoxication

Fairly certain that is what I just went through... *shudder* .... no fun.

Archived