Hard to meet women in my room

Rising

So the title pretty much explains it.

I've been living a pretty standard schedule recently which doesn't get me out of the house much, and often times I find myself behind this computer screen here. I do the regular 9-5 thing, come home and exercise before dinner, and then eat and then either spend the evening in (writing my thesis, watching TV, on the computer, etc) or hang out with my roommate and his gf.

I've made a weak attempt at online dating but have been unimpressed and put off by the whole process/system. I'm living very far from home (over 5k miles) so my close friends aren't around, and the friends I do have here are either in long term "We don't go out" style relationships or are completely hopeless when it comes to dating/leaving their parents' basements.

So without a friend/wingman I really don't see myself going out to a bar/club/social scene on my own. I wouldn't describe myself as a shy person, but I'm definitely not the person who walks up to someone and starts a conversation. Once I'm introduced though I usually do really well.

I'm in my late 20's and my job isn't the type where I would meet single women, or one that would have a group that would go to Happy Hour anywhere after work.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has any advice on how someone in my situation would go about meeting single women. I feel like I have a lot to offer and that if I wasn't tucked away in my little room here I might be considered a catch. hehe So... how do I go about getting caught?

-Rising

Just because your roommate has a girlfriend doesn't mean he can't be your wingman. Ask him or even his girlfriend if they can introduce you to some girls, through some group outings. In a lot of ways, a female wingman (or wingwoman, I guess) is better than a wingman. I'm sure both of them know some single women, and like to go out as a group once in a while. You want to try it quick, the longer you wait and stay home, the harder it will be to get out there.

Just because your roommate has a girlfriend doesn't mean he can't be your wingman. Ask him or even his girlfriend if they can introduce you to some girls, through some group outings. In a lot of ways, a female wingman (or wingwoman, I guess) is better than a wingman. I'm sure both of them know some single women, and like to go out as a group once in a while. You want to try it quick, the longer you wait and stay home, the harder it will be to get out there.

Go out with them instead of staying in.

XXXX

There are some things you can do on your own. Like take your computer (if you can) to a coffee shop and work on your thesis there. At least you're out where there are people. Go for a walk or a run. Sign up for a class. Even if you don't meet a girl, you could meet friends that are more social.

Those friends that don't leave their basements, have you tried asking them to hang out? Maybe just grabbing a beer or watching a football game at the bar. Anything low key (I doubt they'll be going to a club with you). Or like the previous posters said, try your roommate. Explain that you really want to go out and meet people but don't want to go alone, and would he go with you some night.

coffee shop, bars, bookstore, library, etc. just get out the house more.

Yeah bookstores are good because the majority of the people are there by themselves anyway and it's easy to start a conversation. Hey what are you reading? Oh I love that author have you ever read ______?

Yeah bookstores are good because the majority of the people are there by themselves anyway and it's easy to start a conversation. Hey what are you reading? Oh I love that author have you ever read ______?

'do you know where the _____ section is? could you show me?'

Okay, I'm just gonna respond to the advice given so far as a whole.

Meeting women online has been a disappointment and I don't think it will get me anywhere.

I don't think I gave a strong enough impression in my initial post about my roommates and their 'Not going out' relationship. They literally don't leave their rooms. The only time they ever go out is to pick up something and quickly return home. My roommate is a few years younger than me, and his gf is a few years younger than that... making her friends much too young for my taste. My roommate doesn't like to spend money on food/drinks out so he won't be the wingman I'm looking for.

The going out on my own thing seems possible, but as I said, I'm not the type to start up a conversation with someone I don't know. I'd pretty much be going out there and waiting for someone to come talk to me...

(The friends that don't leave their basements live 5000 miles away, so getting them to go out more wouldn't do me much good over here. hehe)

As for the explosive runs pick up line... I'll go ahead and mark that one off the list. Thanks though. haha

I think you are right though... no matter what happens outside this room, its gonna be better than inside. I can bet a large sum of money that the woman of my dreams isn't going to randomly choose this house to walk into looking for her man.

Thanks for the ideas so far guys/girls. Keep em' coming.

-Rising

Archived