Loss of appetite when high on emotions.

Puma

Whether I'm super anxious/excited or really down in the dumps, I have this loss of appetite where I could barely stomach anything when I eat. If anything, I can only handle super small portions, and what ever it is that's causing my emotions remains stuck in my head for several days.

I've just recently met this boy who has been caused some of the biggest butterflies in my stomach, and we had our first kiss last night (just a quick peck). All day today I hardly ate and have been replaying it in my head just about every 5 minutes.

I can't even brush my tongue as deeply since I gag easier and my stomach just feels weaker.

Does this happen to anyone else? I'm thinking as time (and the shock) fades I'll be back to normal again, but I hate the thought of being malnourished and not enjoying meals anymore...for the time being.

This happens to me all the time when I'm nervous/anxious/upset. It's to the point that if I do eat when I'm really nervous it's only a matter of time before it comes back up again. (When my boyfriend and I started dating I could hardly ever eat! When we would go out I would order salad after salad cause I had so many butterflies around him I just couldn't eat!)

Im like this as well. I used to be a lot worse, but now i just really have found ways to focus on eating and gettingthe food dpwn.

It means eating somewhere quiet mainly, so you can relax,

And its really bad being like that because you arent going to be 100% not eating- and if u are dating someonw new you really need to be.

Try and focus on 5 small meals, rather than stressing yourself over 3 large ones.

I'm like this as well, and it is rough, because my appetite is already pretty small and inconsistent.... but when I get nervous/anxious/stressed... ugh... I have to really force myself to eat and I lose interest in food very fast!

If you know you are like this, it might be a good idea to try and eat/drink things that are easy to digest in smaller portions and try to do it more frequently, or at least stay hydrated.

For me, I have an easier time with things like fruit juices/smoothies, yogurt, small sandwhiches, salads ... most soluble fiber type foods. Nothing too big, nothing too greasy, nothing too spicy.

Wow, THANK YOU guys for your posts.

It's weird because I'm so used to eating pretty large (also frequent meals, I weightlift so I'm an eating machine). So to go from an athlete's diet to probably what Calista Flockhart eats is so strange. My stomach normally gets bothered after not eating for about 2-3 hours, but the butterflies have suppressed my hunger so much to the point that I don't even get hunger pangs if I go longer hours without having a meal. And, when I do try to eat, my mind immediately replays what happened (ie me kissing this boy) and I feel like I just had a 20 oz. Porterhouse steak all of a sudden...thus, I put my food down and start chewing slowly like a farm animal cuz I start feelin' pretty gross.

But God I'm falling head over heels for the boy I'm somewhat seeing, hoping it evolves to something more. This is the one thing I'm not liking - my hopes are getting so high and my lack of meals are causing some physiological damage...going through this better be worth it in the end. Hahah.

Wowwww. I was brushing my teeth just now and had the most difficult time.

I was working on my bottom row when my stomach slowly started to sour up, and all that saliva starts accumulating faster and you let it drip out of your mouth from how sick you start feeling. I hadn't even brushed my tongue yet and I was already feeling pukey.

I had to pause for several seconds to let the feeling fade away, only it got a little worse before getting better. Then after I finished brushing my teeth and got to my tongue, I tried to get as deep as possible, cleaning all of it the best I could. I got a little too far and gagged, and so of course I felt sick again. I was hovered over the sink for almost 10 minutes this entire time, trying so hard to tell myself that I was fine/okay and trying to relax. The more the boy kept popping into my mind the worse my stomach would get and the more I tried so hard to think of other things.

It's crazy how mental it is.

• 3 weeks later...

I get like this as well. It's been a big part of my life for a few years now in that it's often on my mind. For me, the loss of appetite you describe can be triggered by the thought of meeting a girl I like, the thought of sex or even in social situations where there are girls I like or a girl I like is there.

That bathroom sink thing you just described happens to me as well! (When anxious) the thought of a girl I like or the thought of meeting her the next day or later on that day makes this happen to me. I call this a panic attack. When I think I'm going to be sick it's a panic attack.

• 1 month later...
This happens to me all the time when I'm nervous/anxious/upset. It's to the point that if I do eat when I'm really nervous it's only a matter of time before it comes back up again. (When my boyfriend and I started dating I could hardly ever eat! When we would go out I would order salad after salad cause I had so many butterflies around him I just couldn't eat!)

well are you better now? I have the same problem, been on about 3 dates...how do you over come this?

Archived