Why is maintaining mental strength appear to be physically wearing?

Wolf_22

I was sitting down by my computer just awhile ago, and when I sat there, I began to think about everything I have to do soon within the next few weeks. Since I'm moving again, you could say I am a bit anxious or nervous about it all.

When I started to think about everything, I began to feel sleepy and somewhat residually fatigued. I still have yet to understand the latter, but the prior, I know to be from going to bed really late last night as well as getting high on a grande-iced-mocha-no-whip-whole-milk this morning. So I guess my time in the air is coming to an end!

Any of you ever feel like that? I am beginning to believe that depression and other related anomalies tend to be more related to the physical facet of humans in ways which are truly profound and even farther from being understood than we know today. I see this idea as being synonymous to how little we know about the Earth's oceans.

yep, I definitely know the connection between mental and physical fatigue. I used to play chess competitively, and I would feel physically drained following tournaments.

More recently, I've noticed a connection between my moods and being hungry or tired, but I'm not certain which causes which in all cases. Sometimes, I'm irritable because I'm tired, but other times, I find myself getting tired when I'm stressed out.

if you got it from starbucks, which i'm assuming you did, its actually "Iced, Grande, Whole Milk, No Whip, Mocha"

We have a bewildering equation set before us!

You appear to believe that the general function, which in this case, would be "the order", appears to have '4' parameters being passed to it. These arguments appear to be the following:

- Dimension

- Ingredients

- Temperature Adjusters

- Flavor or Type

While my entire life has been comprised of chaos and turmoil, it has manifested in ways which represent or symbolize art, so it would be understandable that my initial undergrad trek consisted of an art major. After spending a year in it, however, I realized that things appear more harmonious in that logic has a neat way of providing security and direction for someone who was derived from the flip-side.

So having said that, you can then approach this predicament from a logical standpoint in spite of playing the game that the corporate entity, known as Starbucks, has appeared to create. You state that the parameters are to be passed via the following: Iced (temperature modifier), Grande (dimension), Whole Milk (ingredient), No Whip (ingredient), Mocha (flavor or type). My initial statement, though, had them in the following order: Grande (dimension), Iced (temperature adjuster), Mocha (flavor or type), No Whip (ingredient), Whole Milk (ingredient).

I would feel safe in assuming that anything which is to be created must have dimension. Space, or nothingness, even has dimension. "We" have dimension as does Heaven or Hell (infinite). So keeping this in mind, would it not be clearer to pass dimension, first?

Following dimension, you would then realize that the space allocation has been fulfilled. The only thing which would be next would be the temperature adjuster because it would determine how the type would stabilize. So in other words, the cosmos and such had space, but the temperatures (or pressures) determined how the next argument (flavor or type) would be defined by it's proceeding ingredients (which assist in determining the class).

If anything, I would think that both of us are wrong. I was accurate on thinking that the first two arguments pose the most logical semantics, but you were more accurate with your last 3 where you said that the ingredients dictate the final class of type.

I understand that you appear to be victim of the corporate policy regarding orders. Every gremlin needs to think outside the box! Oh, by the way - did you know the Chantico is coming back!? WOOT! Yeah, I know: it's going to be under a different name, but it is the same thing!

Or, maybe, that is the way us baristas are trained to read orders. If you say it wrong, it is a possibility we could get your drink wrong. Thats why decaf is ALWAYS FIRST. It is all done in order of importance/operation. First, i grab a cup/pull the shots. So it starts as "decaf triple iced grande". (True we weren't dealing with decaf or and added shot, but im using that for this example.) Then i add the syrup, "2 pump mocha" (weren't dealing with that either but its for examples sake). Next i steam milk/pour it if it is and iced drink, "whole milk", then i combine the shots and the milk in the cup. then come the modifiers. "stirred, no whip, etc." and finally the actual drink name. you see when some one says something out of order it throws us off. Say you are in the drive through and order something, but you wanted it iced and wait till the end to say that, ive already started the drink by the time. Your time is wasted because ive got to start over now. Plus, there is no such thing as an "grande-iced-mocha-no-whip-whole-milk" at starbucks. that isn't what we named it. we don't make a grande-iced-mocha-no-whip-whole-milk. the name of that particular drink is a certain way, and thats just the way it is. true your drink calling structure isnt as bad as the highschool kid who wants "one of those cinna chocolate frapp thingies, with 3 added shots and extra caramel. oh and could you blend it?" But this isn't "evil bad starbucks" trying to take over the world by causing beverage confusion, its us trying to get your drink right. when we make 500 of them a day, it becomes reflex, and we need an order to follow.

also i don't mean to come off as an ass, i just want people to be informed as to why it is said a certain way. And i totally know where you are coming from with the mental fatigue thing. maybe its your body reacting to to stress?

You see when some one says something out of order it throws us off.

This is the standard conundrum of all employees who are paid by a corporation that demands stable branding. While I understand what you intended to convey here about ordering difference between "grande-iced-mocha-no-whip-whole-milk" and "iced-grande-whole milk-no whip-mocha" (however large or small those differences may be), you should consider the fact that little concern will ever be given for those differences by the standard customer - as well as many of the corporation's employees themselves.

As a Starbucks partner, the responsibility has been handed to you to provide the customer with what they want, regardless of whether or not they may ask for something that may be near or far from the Starbucks verbiage.

You would make a perfect computer programmer. It appears to me that you tend to demand preciseness and suit within the things you interact with... Do you prefer structure over chaos? I prefer structure, but in our world, this is almost approach rarely delivers the way it should.

but the problem is, when you don't know "standard starbucks verbiage" often times one will order the wrong thing entirely. for example a "venti chai tea" is entirely different than a "venti chai tea latte". so when one orders a chai tea, thinking it is automatially a latte, they receive their drink and look at the barista like he is choking on his own tongue. this misunderstanding is on the customer, not the barista. if mispronouncing drinks simply made us think a bit harder, but the end result was always the same, you'd have a great point, but it isn't, the customer expects us to pay for their mistake. its not about structure and chaos, its about attention to detail. with a set "structure" for calling drinks, their is MUCH less room for error, and much more attention to detail. another example, forgetting to say iced, not our fault, but we pay for it. its not just about lingo, its about knowing what you order.

Does not matter... If you drop the ball on the first attempt, you'll be asked to simply re-make the drink. You see, the customer may in fact pronounce the drink completely wrong, but it doesn't matter in the end because the barista had the opportunity to clarify it. If he / she doesn't do this on the first time, don't worry, there will be a next time and in the meantime, you'll be giving the mess-up to the customer as a free token of gratitude for choosing Starbucks as their primary coffee supplier.

For whatever it counts, though, I'm on your side in this as I have had some experience with customer service issues similar to this. I'm just playing devil's advocate and reciting what I hear from my friend everyday about his job (who is a Starbucks store manager). In the end, almost all the time, the customer is right. In rare occasions, your angst, bitterness or whatever may be appropriate but when your in a public / professional setting, you have to eat it.

Good vid...

If you don't get a full night's rest consistently...at least if you don't catch up on your off days...don't get proper food (think vitamin/nutrient deficiency) that in itself can send you into a depression (given other factors)...

I think the realization of how far we are from our goals is what makes us tired. Getting things accomplished, on the other hand, gives us energy. When you start feeling bogged down, focus on the trees, not the forest.

Archived