How manly should a man be?

bertdru

I always have this feeling that I am not manly enough. I am scared of a lot of things - spiders, snakes, dogs, cockroaches, lizards and so on. I can't make quick decisions(I heard women like that). I don't think I behave normally when I have to face my fears.

This is one of the reasons why I am scared of marriage and long term relationships. I just don't think I am manly enough to be a good husband and a good father.

It is not a measure of a man that he has fears - it is how he deals with his fears that really matters.

I agree.. My father is very afraid of snakes does that make him less of a man? Heck no I have seen him knock guys out with one punch. Was he less of a father? NO in fact he was a better father because it made me see that it was ok to be afarid of things and that it was ok to admit it.

Being manly does not mean not having fears. We all have fears - it's a part of being human.

I think different women have different perceptions of what manliness is, to a certain extent. Some women are impressed with chivalry, some women equate manliness with muscles, etc. etc.

For me, a guy is manly if he has confidence to speak his mind and the ability to stand up for himself/not be a pushover. There is also manliness in mannerisms, i.e., if a person uses too many hand gestures while talking, he will seem unmanly to me.

You mentioned the ability to make quick decisions as a characteristic of manliness. For me, it's not so much the ability to make a quick decision but the ability to think logically through problems and make rational, solid decisions, rather than rash, wishy-washy decisions.

Also, once in a relationship, manliness means the ability to make me feel safe, both emotionally and physically.

Archived