IronHorse

Yeah, you mean the "rich preppy bastard" look. =p

One time I was shopping alone and a girl came up to me and asked if I was gay. I was like, "You think I'm gay because I'm shopping for clothes on my own?" She said, "Well yeah, I was wondering because my gay friend is single." I respond, "Wow, you've really got nerve... and I respect that, so I'm not gonna get pissed, but for the record I like girls, not guys." She just said, "Oh" and walked off. I was hoping she'd mention a girl friend who was single, but no. -_-

ok, yeah, you can call it that I just like sophistication. My last boyfriend was like this, and I didn't wear jeans in front of him for the first like 3 months of our relationship, because I just felt too 'dressed down'... healthy... maybe not.

Aww, poor Carmine, haha. Im sorry that you had such poor luck on that one. Ok, so maybe not all girls find a guy who can shop for himself as an attractive, straight, trait... better luck next time.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad Carmine, that sucks that someone asked if you were gay.

OP, I'm in your situation. Since I have been living off of about 3 hollister and abercrombie shirts and a couple pairs of khaki shorts I am in need of an overhall too...aside from those couple pieces of clothing I am loaded up with stuff from Steve and Barrys...I do have a couple nice pairs of sneakers.

I hadn't thought to ask for help shopping, but my friend told me I need more stuff (he is a clothes guy) and I don't know any girls who don't like shopping. I can get some good clothes, hangout with my friend and get some more time in with girls too. If OP can do something like this, I do not see where either he or I lose

ok, yeah, you can call it that I just like sophistication. My last boyfriend was like this, and I didn't wear jeans in front of him for the first like 3 months of our relationship, because I just felt too 'dressed down'... healthy... maybe not.

Aww, poor Carmine, haha. Im sorry that you had such poor luck on that one. Ok, so maybe not all girls find a guy who can shop for himself as an attractive, straight, trait... better luck next time.

I think sophisitication and anything considered trendy, like you may find articles on in GQ or FHM (which as far as I can see have always tended towards a sophisticated look meaning that sophisticated dressy/casual is always trendy) isn't necessarily the best idea.

The way I see it, as a guy, if you wear what is considered trendy then you are minimising the difference between you and every other guy out there, and since people's first impression of what personality you have is often influenced by what you are wearing and how you have your hair, then you are suggesting to them that personality-wise there is not much to differentiate you from everyone else either.

What happens is, how good-looking you are becomes far more important to girls as a first impression than it normally would be. While girls put a lot more emphasis on personality than guys tend to, if their first impression is that most of the guys they see when they look around have similar personalities then they would have a better first impression of the good-looking guys.

I think this is why, in more alternative styles, you are more likely to see the not-so-good-looking guy has a girlfriend, because they aren't as prescriptive over what is trendy and a guy's good personality can shine through more easily. Whereas if you know a low of guys who more-or-less just style themselves on whatever is considered mainstream-trendy you will see hear more complaints from guys who can't get a girlfriend because they aren't good looking enough.

Anyway, the case-in-point is that when I started university, I just wore whatever GQ/FHM etc. recommended was stylish and sophisticated... and I got no female attention whatsoever, why would I? Girls couldn't see that I might have a different personality from my friends, and my friends were much better looking than I was. Then after a few barren years I met a friend who was a fashion designer and wanted to open my eyes to the possibilities out there. Since I started choosing clothes that I actually liked and not just clothes I was told to like, I've had a lot more female attention because girls scanning around a room to see what guys they like can get an impression of what kind of personality I have and factor that into their considerations.

I don't tend to notice the brand when I'm choosing clothes, but when I get them home and take the label off I have noticed that a good number of them are by Ironfist.

Eh, it's a personal thing really. I don't like people, especially young people, who flaunt their money through clothes and other material items. To be more specific, you used the term "Ivy League" look...I'm not going to get into that here, but I don't like anything about the "Ivy League."

Too bad Carmine, that sucks that someone asked if you were gay.

Nah, I thought it was funny. Maybe it had to do with that rainbow colored shirt I was wearing that said "I like it when balls are in my face."

Eh, it's a personal thing really. I don't like people, especially young people, who flaunt their money through clothes and other material items. To be more specific, you used the term "Ivy League" look...I'm not going to get into that here, but I don't like anything about the "Ivy League."

Nah, I thought it was funny. Maybe it had to do with that rainbow colored shirt I was wearing that said "I like it when balls are in my face."

I am not gay, but you sir have a nice upper body. :splat:

Archived