How to handle this issue at work?

Ok, I work in a small firm where we have approximately 10 people on staff. Wonderfully fantastic place to work actually. Exception though.

There is one person who is constantly late, leaving early, taking multiple breaks, etc. They never do their work but lay claim to being busy constantly and always making themself to look like a "worker bee" in front of the boss so that the bossman just loves him.

The rest of the co-workers are started to resent him and how he takes advantage of everyone and everything at work. Noone else in the firm gets long breaks, short work shifts.

Do we risk tattling and looking petty? How do you handle a person in this situation? They will not be getting fired or quitting anytime in the near future as he's been with the firm for 10+ years and enjoys the perks he's getting that noone else is.

Ok, I work in a small firm where we have approximately 10 people on staff. Wonderfully fantastic place to work actually. Exception though.

There is one person who is constantly late, leaving early, taking multiple breaks, etc. They never do their work but lay claim to being busy constantly and always making themself to look like a "worker bee" in front of the boss so that the bossman just loves him.

The rest of the co-workers are started to resent him and how he takes advantage of everyone and everything at work. Noone else in the firm gets long breaks, short work shifts.

Do we risk tattling and looking petty? How do you handle a person in this situation? They will not be getting fired or quitting anytime in the near future as he's been with the firm for 10+ years and enjoys the perks he's getting that noone else is.

Welcome to business and life in the work force. Happens to everyone, everyday, including me

My guess is that if he's been there 10 years then they are already well aware of his habits and there is some other reason why they keep him. I'm afraid that's the way it goes in the world. It's not fair, but it is reality.

Just worry about yourself and do the best that you can. Have a beer or two with your coworkers every so often and let the complaints fly. It's a great way to blow off steam.

Thank you for the replies! I'm not so certain the boss knows what is going on since this person does like about the amount of work he does and it's not really work that is able to be viewing in amount loads, kwim?

I agree though, it won't do any good but it sure felt good letting the steam roll off in the post. I just can not for the life of me figure out how someone can take a paycheck and not work for it?

Unfortunately, this is the way of the world. In every job I've had, and probably any job you'll ever have, you'll need to deal with an individual similar to the one you describe. In every walk of life there's a person that survives by "getting over" manipulating the system to their advantage. Our job is to not allow that individual to affect our productivity or morale. If his lack of responsibility is affecting your workload, then you need to bring it to your boss' attention.

I used to work with someone like that and they'd been with the workplace even longer (nearly 20 years). They were finally let go.

In a place as small as yours, the boss does know about the lateness, multiple breaks and leaving early. It's not legally easy to fire someone these days and your boss could be building a file against them. If this issue is affecting the work environment negatively, your group has the right to request that it be rectified, after all, you spend a large portion of your life there. If the other co-workers feel the same way, you could ask to meet with your boss the next time this person leaves early. I would only do it as a group though, that way no one risks looking petty or as not being a "team player". If you decide to do it, be sure to remain professional and stay on track with specific complaints, focus on work related issues and don't make personal comments about your co-worker. Also, start the meeting with focusing on the positive aspects of your work environment so that your boss doesn't feel as though he's under attack.

There has been one of these people in almost every job I have had. I figured they had an in with the boss and a couple of times I became friendly with them. When I did this, I got raises and all sorts of goodies from the boss. If this person isn't a total creep, (and if theyare forget this idea), try being friendly and see where it leads. Just don't adopt their work habits.

Archived