Meh... Why can't I be excited about my future?

MattW

See, I finished high school a year ago, and I held off on college this past year; mostly because of some money/ family issues. I'm looking to start in the fall, though, but... I just can't bring myself to feel excited about it. Mostly because I don't know what kind of career I want to work for...

And I know, that's probably not an uncommon thing, but back in high school, so many of my classmates had big plans for their future; one girl I knew wanted to be a marine biologist, another wanted to be a lawyer, etc. etc. I hate that I have no idea what line of work I want to pursue. What's even more sad is, those that knew me really well said that I seemed like the kind of person that'd go on to do something big, something good, and here I am with nothing.

Right now, I have some kind of computer programming thing as my major, because I'm a little bit better with computers than the average person, I suppose; but that's just kinda something to fall back on in case I don't think of something better, I guess...

So, I dunno, I'm really just venting, here. I just wish I had some kind of goal, something to get excited for. Ah well...

Unless you love math, drop the computer science major.

I have some information for you that may help...

You do not have to declare a major until your junior year. In college, you have 2 years worth of electives, half of your degree will be electives of some kind.

Major in liberal arts or general education for now, those are the equivalent of not having a major. Take 'any' classes that you want, experiment, try all kinds of fields and expand your horizons, try math, biology, psychology, sociology, history... eventually you will find something that you enjoy.

A little bit more information about computer science...

One of my best friends got his B.S in computer science and now makes 74,000/yr, less than 5 years after he graduated. His college experience was extremely intense and time consuming, because he had to memorize multiple coding languages, get a strong understanding of algorithms, and take 10 math courses leading up to and surpassing calculus and differential equations.

I'm a cultural anthropology major with minors in psychology and economics. If you want to hear about any of those, feel free to PM me.

Archived