Apartment leasing problems

i miss her 2

Ok, my gf and I have looked at a few apartments and for some reason got suckered into this one that we really shouldn't live in because it is too expensive.

Last week the lady gave us the applications and said to bring them back WITH the application money AND the deposit money. So we did and dropped it off in the drop box. That was Friday evening.

Now it say's in the contract (and I made copies) that if you change your mind within five days you only get 100 dollars back from the deposit (it was 200) and if you change your mind about the place AFTer 5 days you don't get anything. Ok well thats understandable.

BUT Monday comes around the corner and the lady that showed us the place trys to get a hold of me but couldn't ..gets ahold of my gf and tells her that the place we wanted got snatched up. So my gf goes with her mom to look at another apartment in this same complex with the same price. She say's that she will have to get back with her to make a decision. So that was yesterday.

We talk last night and decide we will call today and say that we want it.

Then later on in the day we come to the conclusion that it is in fact better to get something cheaper.

This is after my gf left the message with her MOm to tell her that if the apartment lady calls while we are gone (school) that we will take it.

So school gets out and my gf calls her mom, her mom says the lady called and she told the lady we will take it. My gf calls the lady say's we will not take it and then this lady goes on about how she has already called the office and left a message saying that we will take it and to run the credit checks in the morning. She said she would call again though and see that they don't.

Ok, well I guess on Monday when they went to look at this other apartment the lady said something about needing us to sign another thing to run a credit check but now she is saying over the phone that she called the place to go ahead and run it in the morning? Confusing.

And, since this was yet another apartment wouldn't we still be able to get 100 bucks back cause technically it hasn't been 5 days since we looked at this other one. It was only yesterday that my gf saw it. Also, she went ahead and called this office and said "WE" will take it without even hearing that from my gf, but her MOM!

So tonight I call my gf after reading my copy that I made of the contract and I am asking her about this stuff and she thinks that I am being extreme about it. I told her she should try to call her bank first thing in the morning and get a stop payment on the checks that she wrote to the apartment.

Am I out of line here? I mean, earlier she was acting like she really wanted the application money back and would be upset if we didn't get it. To be honest I understand if we don't get it back. She didn't even acknowledge that we might not get any money back. I didn't realize it until I went back and looked at the contract again. I won't be mad, it's a learning lesson.

She acted almost irritated though. Was I out of line for calling her and saying all of this? She acted like I was paranoid or something. What can I do here? Is she mad at me because I made the decision it wasn't a good idea to move in? It was her decision too but I guess I came up with it first.

My dad told me a long time ago that most relationships have problems over one or both of two things-sex/money...looks like you have quite a money issue. I'll answer in the hopes that I understood everything you posted, please forgive me if I misstate the problem.

I do not think it was out of line for you to want the money back, as people always have second thoughts about apartments, so don't let anyone treat you like a mutant for changing your mind. I wonder if your GF's issue might not be so much in your wanting the money back, but in renegging on moving in...she might be reading into your wanting to get the money back so bad and maybe she takes it personally as you rejecting her, not just the apartment...That is my best guess. If I misunderstood the question please steer me straight and I'll try again.

Well, I think we both decided that it just wasn't worth it. Not to mention, that she by herself would not even be able to afford this place. She doesn't even plan on working more than 35 hours a week.

I told her myself that I won't be mad if we don't get the money back but then she said she really wanted it back. I told her over the phone I was really looking out for her since she wrote the checks (I just gave her cash for my share). I don't think she thought I was rejecting her though. Maybe just mad that we went back and forth with getting this place. I just decided it isn't feasible. Earlier when we decided not to live there afterall we said we are definitely going to look at other places. Maybe she is mad at me for finally decided we can't live there? We are both wishy washy people so we kinda went back and forth with it last night and today. Finally deciding it was a no go. especially with her income which means that I would be spending alot more of my money and having not really enough to put away or spend on leisure time.

Definitely try to get your deposit back. You SHOULD be able to get at least the 100 $ back!

No idea on your girlfriend's moodiness. Maybe she is just a bit deflated and disappointed that the apartment/moving in together isn't happening just yet.

Yeah, that could be it. I know she really wanted it to happen and so did I. It just isn't realistic for us to live comfortably there though. I hope she can realize it, I think she can.

Maybe her mom was the moody person behind it since she was helping out alot and she was the one who wanted it resolved. Who knows? But I really think, like I said before, that you were justified in wanting to get both yours and her money back, that was very nice of you to read the fine print! I think she will get over it, maybe it was just the initial letdown and unresolved housing issue that chapped her a bit. Maybe she had her heart set on the place... Honestly, I have gotten irrationally perturbed with my fiance before when he has been reasonable and responsible in a situation in which I badly wanted something-stupid I know, but it happens! We all get our hopes up like kids sometimes...

Maybe her mom was the moody person behind it since she was helping out alot and she was the one who wanted it resolved. Who knows? But I really think, like I said before, that you were justified in wanting to get both yours and her money back, that was very nice of you to read the fine print! I think she will get over it, maybe it was just the initial letdown and unresolved housing issue that chapped her a bit. Maybe she had her heart set on the place... Honestly, I have gotten irrationally perturbed with my fiance before when he has been reasonable and responsible in a situation in which I badly wanted something-stupid I know, but it happens! We all get our hopes up like kids sometimes...

Well, before my gf and I finally decided that we shouldn't go with it she mentioned to me how her mom and aunt here talking about how expensive the place was. Then I told her the people at work said we are getting ripped off. I guess we kind of let other people's opinions influnce us there.

So when you have been irrationally perturbed with your fiance when he was reasonable, how did you work t hings out? Did you just realize on your own that you were being irrational without him pointing it out?

Yes, I realized I was being a turd within an hour when I thought back to my worthless, irresponsible, money-spending ex who never had a dime to his name. I am sure that if that is the reason, the letdown I mean, that she will get over it. The downer shouldn't last long. I also understand about letting others influence you, but unless they pay for your rent, don't let them get to you. After all, you can make a smaller place really great by decorating it right with quality pieces-people will walk in and say wow. This is much preferred to renting a huge, fancy place where you can't even afford furniture to fill it up. I think your gf will come around quickly, and as long as you stay motivated about finding a housing solution(which sometimes bugs me if he drops the ball a bit)then I bet you won't even remember this blip in a month.

Archived