break up and now disrespect

kiasuten

me and my boyfriend of 2+ years broke up "officially" (since we had been on and off again for the last few months of our relationship) in June.

i had to move into his house in May because school ended and i had to stay in the neighborhood and had no other place to go. it was made clear that as long as i cleaned up after myself, did some basic chores around the house, and go food shopping every once in a while, there would be no issue with me staying over. i do all of this.

i was guaranteed after the break up (we were still friends) that they wouldn't kick me out on the street for nothing.

well now it's been almost 2 months since the break up and his mother is totally disrepecting me as a person and not only is he not doing anything about it, but he's doing things that i find disrespectful (and he never did them before) but he's getting all defensive when i point them out. his entire personality took a 180 in the wrong direction and it's really pissing me off.

im stuck there until August 23 and i just need some... i don't know, advice or something to keep me going before i go insane.

thanks, and happy summer to everyone.

First, you are in his house, so you have to chill about the 'disrespect' thing, or else find somewhere else to go.

It is usually brutal after a breakup, so staying at his house at all is pretty unusual and decent of him. But there are usually lots of hard feelings after a breakup, so those will come to the surface if you are still living together.

So recognize that you have a roof over your head (and be grateful for that), and you need to try to do everything you can to get along with them and de-escalate tense situations until you move out. So you need to chill, or find somewhere else to live if the breakup is creating a situation in the house you can't tolerate.

Archived