Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Studying aboard. Any exchange students here?

pinkelephant

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has done the exchange program. I would love to hear about EVERYTHING: your experiences in the country, with the application process. the things you've learned. etc.

I just found out that my school does it AND my mom said that if it's academically beneficial (like if the credits will be valid here in canada) then she will let me do it. I AM SO HAPPY!!!

PLEASE and thank you!!

It is most of the time a wonderful experience. Couple of my class mate in high school went to Peru and they really liked it.

They got to learn Spanish and stuff about other cultures. They had really good time.

the only negative thing I could tell is that one girl came back pregnant.

I studied abroad in Ireland in college and it was definitely one of the best experiences of my life--It made me much more confident and also taught me a lot not just about Ireland, but about the U.S. too! Definitely do it if you can make it work!

I went to Australia, so I wouldn't call my experience "studying abroad" more like "drinking and partying abroad."

Ahh, good times!

lol, yeah, that was also true a lot of the time in Ireland! I definitely developed an appreciation for Guinness...

what about the credits you receive? my mom's main concern.

You should receive credit for the semester as long as your school recognizes the program and location you enroll as accredited. Just be sure to go through your school's aboard office and you should be fine.

Is it being organised by your school? If yes, you will get the credits. However its only about credits, you dont do much study there, its all about fun!

yes it is. it's through my university. so the grades won't matter? oooh sweet. mother does not need to know this bit.

yes it is. it's through my university. so the grades won't matter? oooh sweet. mother does not need to know this bit.

Sounds great to me, dont let it go. if it is done by uni, then 99.99% you should get credits for it. You can check it with your university.

To be honest, grades dont matter in real life but if you are going to apply for masters or honours then you gotta have good grades.

It can be a good learning & life changing experince. It is specially good for people who live with their parents so they get to feel responsibilities and stuff.

Which country you are going to?

Sounds great to me, dont let it go. if it is done by uni, then 99.99% you should get credits for it. You can check it with your university.

To be honest, grades dont matter in real life but if you are going to apply for masters or honours then you gotta have good grades.

It can be a good learning & life changing experince. It is specially good for people who live with their parents so they get to feel responsibilities and stuff.

Which country you are going to?

i don't know yet. the choices are so overwhelming! hehe. it's certainly competitive so i was thinking about just simply choosing for the least competitive one. it doesn't matter much as long as i get to. i'm sure i'll make the most out of it regardless.

i will be going for my masters and honours and co-op. heh. will this affect my chances, at all?

Well, after reading some of your posts, you sure sound like a fun loving person. So go for it.

You should do some research with regards to your grades for masters / honours. I am not sure about your uni, but in york they student councillor to help you with these options. I am sure you can find stuff at your uni website.

Grades did matter for me, they appear on my transcript so they count just the same as every other course I took in college. That being said, though, the courses in Ireland definitely seemed "easier" than my American ones--From what I saw, there was more expectation that students would do work/research outside of class without being forced to by frequent quiz and paper assignments than there is in the States. The individual student was asked to take on a lot more responsibility for their own learning, if that makes sense...

That's probably not true for everywhere, though! I would definitely advise you to talk to people who have been on the programs before when you're deciding where to go...They'll be able to tell you how friendly the host school is to international students, how challenging the classes are, etc., etc.

I studied abroad for one semester in 2001, went to a town in the north of Sweden...so right next to the Arctic Circle!

I loved it, recommend it 100%, it was a magical time, and a great experience that will allow you to grow as a person.

It was great because there were about 300 exchange students in our little university, so everything was diverse.

No one can take that experience away from you.

Archived