difference between a healty and unhealthy attachment

jmantra

Can anyone please explain to me the difference between healthy and unhealthy attachment.

In the past I would get so attached to a girl that I would become devastated over a simple fight. And after my last relationship ended I went into a deep depression that lasted a a year.

I am in another relationship now, but I don't feel that attached to her. Like I get really upset if she gets mad at me, but not devastated. Also we're in a long distance relationship so if I don't get to talk to her one day I don't get too upset. I mean ya I care about her, but it seems I am opposite of what I was before, a bit indifferent to most things. I am not really sure if their is much of a spark there, but it's an internet relationship and we haven't met yet, so only time will tell.

I was in a long distance when I was teenager simply because she lived 45 minutes away and neither of us could drive at the time. I was really attached to her, and would get really upset if I didn't talk to her.

So what really is a healthy attachment?

Healthy Attachment : Continues their daily lives, not completely reliant still has independence availability. This can involve love and can be completely attached. Of course we will feel depressed / sad when we can't be with them or not, that is love! But not in a "destructive" state..

Unhealthy Attachment : Too reliant on them, someone who is un-trusting / violent / abusive emotional/physically. Someone who had drug problems, or in anyway generally, lowers your standard of living and blocks your goals in life. Or just brings you down in any kind of way

Archived