Therapy- what should i expect?

So I'm starting therapy in a couple weeks due to circumstances i'd rather not state here, and i'm kind of nervous and not sure how this is supposed to work. I was wondering if i could get any input by anyone who's been through any sort of counciling or whatever on how things are usually done. When you go in to talk to someone do they just sort of ask you questions or what? I'm just curious because i have no idea what to expect from it.

So I'm starting therapy in a couple weeks due to circumstances i'd rather not state here, and i'm kind of nervous and not sure how this is supposed to work. I was wondering if i could get any input by anyone who's been through any sort of counciling or whatever on how things are usually done. When you go in to talk to someone do they just sort of ask you questions or what? I'm just curious because i have no idea what to expect from it.

Mainly they listen. They have 2 get to know you to help. Most people are just looking to leave a problem behind. Talking to a real professional who is calm, trained, and used to human problems can be reassurring. They are calm and believe you can be ok. So you can start to talk to them about things you would be uncomfortable talking to those around you about. Try to connect. Don't be nervous. It is very beneficial to get an alternative perspective on your problems from someone not involved. Everyone should have therapy!

girl friend

I'm not 100% sure yet but probably a psychologist

The reason I asked is because as far as I'm aware they have a different approach to one another. A psychologist may ask you about your past but depending on the reason you are seeing them... they may not focuss on it. I think they ask you some background info to get an idea of why you are feeling the way you are. Don't be too nervous. They are there to help you. Make sure you open up to them... they won't judge you. On a personal note, I went to therapy for a few sessions and it was the best thing I've ever done, I'm sure you will agree. Good luck, I hope it goes well!

It's important to be honest. Please understand that EVERYTHING you tell him/her is COMPLETELY confidential. They will ask things about your mom and dad, sisters and brothers, and about you.

They will ask your reason for being there, and get into your background. They should tell you something about themselves. They should tell you what they plan to do to help you. That's how the first visit should go.

If you are nervous, you should feel free to tell them.

It's important that you "connect" with your therapist. If you don't, keep searching.

Good luck to you.

~Allie

After you leave always take time to reflect on what was said " don't beat yourself up about things you feel guilty or bad about that has been reopen by your discussions during your therapy session", and yes if you feel the questions is going in the wrong way, don't be scared to voice your thoughts, many times they will explain to you why they are asking the specific question, don't hide part of the problem tell it as it is and how you really feel, they are there to help and can only do there best if you are willing to work with them. Don't expect to much from your first visit it is usually only a to know it section, with time it will get easier.

Best advice my therapist gave me after my first session was a comment he made half in jest and half in seriousness - and I will pass it on to you.

Wear waterproof mascara.

Therapy can be quite wonderful and very helpful IF you want it to be. You have to be ready to move forward with things and this is a great step. Best of luck to you!

Someone above said something about being honest. While this is the most difficult thing in therapy sessions, it's also (IMO), the most important thing to remember. You have to want to help yourself, etc, blah...

As for what to expect, it will probably go something like this...

T - "Hi ________ . Before we begin, I need to inform you that you're not nuts."

U - "Gee, thanks. I really appreciate that."

T - "No problem. So what's your malfunction?"

Just kidding, of course. Whenever I think of therapists, I think of some sort of weird humeresque'ish Robin Williams... Anyhoo, in all seriousness, it's most likely some sort of cognitive counselor. If so, then you'll probably just go and talk about whatever's on your mind about things.

I can't comment about seeing an actual full-blown psychologist, though, because I've never seen one of those. It's my ignorant understanding that the latter is more prone to medicine prescribing as to the prior is more focuses on simple discussion and normally, bad-habit breaking through mental approaches...

I can't comment about seeing an actual full-blown psychologist, though, because I've never seen one of those. It's my ignorant understanding that the latter is more prone to medicine prescribing as to the prior is more focuses on simple discussion and normally, bad-habit breaking through mental approaches...

It is my understanding that only a PSYCHIATRIST can prescribe medication, NOT a psychologist.

Archived