Men between 25 and 32- Who do you live with?

heavenearth

Hi everyone, I want to know for us men age between 25 and 32, who do you live with? Not so much of a survey, I'm just a little curious to know and compare to my own situation.

- Your age

- Do You have enough to spend after paying everything

- Own a place with your SO

- Own a place and by your own

- Rent a place with SO

- Rent a place by your own

- Rent a shared place with friends

- Rent a shared place with others

For those not with SO, I'm especially interested to know if you're happy with your current living arrangement. Good, bad ugly, people, money, etc.

- Your age 26 (27 july 18th

- Do You have enough to spend after paying everything I have always been very good with my finances

- Rent a place with SO I live in a big, 2 bedroom apt with my GF

I had just moved out of my parents 2 weeks ago. I was in the military for 6 years and I rented a 3 bedroom house in AL with a roommate. I think that situation prepared me for my current living situation.

When moving into a house/apartment, make sure that the rent/mortgage does not exceed 1/3 of your monthly income and you should be just fine. Unless of course you make $2,000 a month, rent/mortgage is $650 and your car payment is $1,200 lol. Then I would suggest that you get a cheaper vehicle

Living on my own is very convenient and NICE!

- Your age: 26, will be 27 in July

- Do You have enough to spend after paying everything: Yes, fortunetely I have a good job that leaves plenty left over after everything.

- Rent a place by your own

Currently renting a townhouse by myself. When I moved back to the area, I lived at home for almost two years since I was traveling for work weekly. I saved up a ton of money and then I found an absolute deal on my townhouse.

I like my living situation, its in a cool area, and I saved up enough money to be able to furnish it basically with cash.

I have no desire to own a place yet, as renting keeps my options open. I am looking to move to another city next year so I have no intention of buying anything anytime soon. I could afford it, just don't want to for other reasons.

does not exceed 1/3 of your monthly income and you should be just fine. Unless of course you make $2,000 a month, rent/mortgage is $650 and your car payment is $1,200 lol. Then I would suggest that you get a cheaper vehicle

You're living with your SO though, not on your own. I love living on my own.

The rent part is okay but after paying my car, gas, electricity, Internet, home phone, mobile phone, car insurance, fuel, groceries. Then I'm not so sure anymore if the freedom and privacy is really worth paying for that much, some POV?

Anyway, more input thanks

You're living with your SO though, not on your own. I love living on my own.

The rent part is okay but after paying my car, gas, electricity, Internet, home phone, mobile phone, car insurance, fuel, groceries. Then I'm not so sure anymore if the freedom and privacy is really worth paying for that much, some POV?

Anyway, more input thanks

Hence why I put in my post RENTING A PLACE WITH YOUR SO

you have to factor in all your bills with your income. Good rule of thumb is to make sure that you can afford to save at leat $200 a month for emergency purposes. After all my bills are paid I still have about $2,000 a month.

I say at the end of my post that living on my OWN is convenient and very nice because I consider living outside of my parents house or away from roommates as living on my own.

-When moving into a house/apartment, make sure that the rent/mortgage does not exceed 1/3 of your monthly income and you should be just fine. Unless of course you make $2,000 a month, rent/mortgage is $650 and your car payment is $1,200 lol. Then I would suggest that you get a cheaper vehicle

ok, i am not a man, so i hope it's ok to chime in! i agree with not spending more than 1/3 your monthly income on rent. i bought my dream condo a few years ago and my mortgage + condo fees are about 1/2 my income. it's rough! but, i've cut back in other ways, i don't own a car, i don't get cable TV, i usually cook at home, don't get takeout, I rent my parking spot out to a neighbor. I love where i live, i live in a great neighborhood, brand new condo that i got to choose all the finishes and all that. i think it will resell well, even with the housing downturn. when it comes time for me to move due to work, i probably won't choose another place to live that takes up more than 1/4 or 1/3 of my income. it's nice having more of a 'cushion.'

on the plus side, i just remind myself that i will see my money again when i sell my place one day.

- Your age 28

- Do You have enough to spend after paying everything Lol, in debt up to my eyeballs due to school. But yeah, I make it okay

- Rent a shared place with friends Used to live with roommates in med school, this ended three weeks ago

- Rent a place by your own Have a one bedroom apartment now, I seem to do just fine money wise, no problems yet. And I've been able to keep up my awesome social life so I'm happy. Sometimes it's hard to be home alone, too quiet, but I'm getting over that now.

32 years old, live with parents, where my mom is virtually supporting everything, saving up all the money but stuck in some rut of unpredictable income in Real-Estate so I'm still scared of spending my own money since I don't know when the next deal is. Financial issues all over the place. Dad is always asking for money for his failing landscaping business and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Mom has lots of lawsuits against her which I'm helping her with both in their defence and appeals, but not sure if that will go anywhere. Myself, again, had bad streak of luck this year where I didn't make any deals since February and really had it rough in the business with lousy buyers who wasted my time. Hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel soon.

I used to go to school in the distant past, but because my credit rating crashed because I lost all the credit card money in the stock market and it also discouraged me, I was unable to get a higher education and stuck with a bachelor degree and drifted off into Real-Estate, which sort of sucks if you are not a natural salesperson, and you are an honest, straightforward person.

ok, i am not a man ... i probably won't choose another place to live that takes up more than 1/4 or 1/3 of my income. it's nice having more of a 'cushion.'

on the plus side, i just remind myself that i will see my money again when i sell my place one day.

No, you're welcome to voice your opinion. Though as time goes it's different for men and women. When it comes to purchasing a place it will cost more. But I'm not looking at buying yet, not for the next few years anyway.

-I have a decent amount of disposable income left over each month.

-currently renting a 1BR apartment by myself.

Quite happy with my living arrangement. I've had 6 roommates throughout my renting history, and only 1-2 were a pleasant experience. It means I pay more in rent, but I think it is totally worth it. After my last experience, I resolved never to live with roommates again unless I absolutely had to for economic reasons. At this point, I'm not even sure I'd move in with an SO, unless it was a precursor to an eventual marriage.

After my last experience, I resolved never to live with roommates again unless I absolutely had to for economic reasons. At this point, I'm not even sure I'd move in with an SO, unless it was a precursor to an eventual marriage.

I agree with the not moving in with SO too, people always walk on the path others built.

1) Meet someone

2) Relationship

3) Move in

4) .........

Mind sharing your story about the horror?

I rented a 3Bd/2Ba house with a friend and his younger brother while I was in college. My friend and I were both seniors, but his brother was an incoming freshman. Both of them were total pigs and the common areas were always a mess. It also turned out that I was the only financial responsible one there. Not unlike a frog being slowly boiled, I ended up taking on more and more responsibility for keeping the ship afloat. When all was said and done, a bunch of my stuff ended up trashed and I was financially devastated.

Looking back, I should have just moved out when things started to go sour. The lease was in my friend's name only. I could have walked away scott-free and left them to get evicted. At the time I was too much of an idealist though, never wanting to screw over a friend like that. Too bad I didn't realize that they wouldn't afford me the same courtesy when everything was over.

That was the most extreme example; none of my other experiences were that bad. Prior to that, I had had four other roommates, about half of which I ended up despising afterwards. This was simply the last straw for me. Just sick of dealing with irresponsible pigs, and I'll gladly pay extra to go it alone.

my friend is 28 and lives with his mom and dad still, has his entire life except for about 3 months when he moved in with a buddy - the buddy got sick and couldn't work and they lost the apartment.

As far as I know he still doesn't pay rent, his mom does his laundry, has access to his online bank account, and keeps close tabs on him.

I asked him recently what he thought he might be doing in 5 years and he said he could foreseeably see himself still living at home, although he realized it was "lame". He works 30 some odd hours a week and has no bills other than his insurance, cell phone, and maybe some medical bills.

He's the baby of the family, so he has very few expectations put on him. He only recently started helping out with mowing the grass. He does a lot of running around with buddies, and going camping and fishing on weekends.

So tell me guys....is this a bad sign, or is this somewhat normal for a 28 year old guy who doesn't really know what he wants to be when he grows up? He's not the only guy in his 20's that I know, that still lives at home, or did until they got married...is this acceptable in society today, or is this considered not the norm??

Not normal. It's one thing to move home for a little while to save and buy a house or whatever. It's another to let your mom do your laundry at 28 and have no desire to even try and move out! No offense, but thats not only lame, its kinda pathetic.

No offense taken...I've thought this was odd for quite some time. My friend is very smart, very capable. I heard his mom tell another mutual friend recently "you don't even want to know what all I do for him" when our mutual friend expressed surprise that his mom was still doing his laundry.

I just wondered what other guys his age thought - if this was considered normal behaviour. His best friend is 25 and owns his own home, so it's not that he doesn't have any inspiration.

Is this laziness, or lack of motivation, or lack of self confidence, I wonder....

He's very sensitive about it when I mention it, so I can't just come out and ask him!

Honestly, its bad parenting. You said it yourself, he's the baby of the family, hence babied. He doesent know how to be independent cause it sounds like he wasnt given the chance. My dad wouldn't stand for me living at home, living, eating for free, and having my mom do everything for me. He'd probably punch me in the face if I let my mom do my laundry! I guess everyones situation is different, and maybe I'm jaded cause I moved out at 18 when I went to college. I decided to not move back for winter and summer breaks and after I graduated. At the time, my folks didn't agree with it, but they let me find my own way, even though in retrospect I coulda saved a ton of loot if I moved home after graduation!

Honestly, its bad parenting. You said it yourself, he's the baby of the family, hence babied. He doesent know how to be independent cause it sounds like he wasnt given the chance.

This is a very interesting theory...I love his parents, but I do get aggravated at his mom for how she coddles him. When we hang out, especially if we are out late or if he's over late (like past midnite) she will text him or call him to see where he's at/when he's coming home. When she goes out of town, she will call him to make sure he's up if he's working; that sort of thing.

Prime example: at Christmas he and I went to a town about an hour away to look at a Christmas display and go out to dinner. We left the restaurant about 11:15pm. At about 12:15am we had just got back to my place and he got a text message from his mother wanting to know what he was doing in such and such town an hour away! So I said "how did she know we were even there?" and he said she must have gone online and got onto his bank account and saw the debit card transaction from the restaurant, so I said even more incredulously "what was she doing in your bank account" and he got flustered and said he didn't know, maybe she needed to transfer some money from his account to hers, that she had access to his account. I was shocked, and he was a little protective about it so I didn't say anything else about it. I thought it was really really strange though.

Not normal. It's one thing to move home for a little while to save and buy a house or whatever. It's another to let your mom do your laundry at 28 and have no desire to even try and move out! No offense, but thats not only lame, its kinda pathetic.

ok, well I am not quite 28, and I am a female.

But i am 26, and still live at home. I don't pay rent, and my mom does most of my laundry. I expect to be living at home for the next couple of years until I can afford my own place.

Does this make me pathetic too?!

No, you're not pathetic at all, but you will have missed out on the joys of living with weird and wonderful (and some not so wondeful) people from all walks of life having stayed at home throughout your young adult life!

It is a great experience and can be awful aswell, but you make friends that way, you're never lonely (well hopefully not) and have a ready made social life.

If I were you, I would quit living at home now and get out there and find some house mates and forget buying your own place for now. I'm almost 34 and have never owned my own place - the time will come in the end.

No, you're not pathetic at all, but you will have missed out on the joys of living with weird and wonderful (and some not so wondeful) people from all walks of life having stayed at home throughout your young adult life!

It is a great experience and can be awful aswell, but you make friends that way, you're never lonely (well hopefully not) and have a ready made social life.

If I were you, I would quit living at home now and get out there and find some house mates and forget buying your own place for now. I'm almost 34 and have never owned my own place - the time will come in the end.

I've decided I don't want an apartment. I want to live at home until I can save enough for a good down payment on a house.

IMO, renting is like leasing. Throwing your money away.

I'd rather live at home until I can save enough, so I can OWN my own home.

I don't feel I have missed out. I have met all sorts of people throughout my life. It's not like I just sit at home at my mothers. I don't think I need to move in with roommates to meet new people. I can do that going anywhere.

There is nothing wrong with having an apartment. Millions of people rent, but also where I live the average one bedroom apartment is $18-2500. A month. Two years thats 60k I can put down on a house.

I'm 28 and live with my fiance (26).

We rent a 2 bed/2 bath place in Los Angeles. Since our monthly income is around 6000 and expenses around 2000, we can really start paying down school loans and such. Well thats the plan anyway.. currently that money is being used to pay for the wedding.

ok, well I am not quite 28, and I am a female.

But i am 26, and still live at home. I don't pay rent, and my mom does most of my laundry. I expect to be living at home for the next couple of years until I can afford my own place.

Does this make me pathetic too?!

Not at all. You have a plan to move out and get your own place. I just meant that if you have no desire to be on your own at a certain point, like out from under your panrents wing so to speak, it would be kinda pathetic. I know people who still live with there folks at 28, 29......they're not pathetic at all because they have goals of owning a house, saving money to travel, or whatever they're reasons may be. It just sounded like KaylaJoy's friend has no desire to ever leave the nest and be independent.

I might end up extending my lease for another 6 month or a 12 months and advertise for a flatmate.

Any tips on how to pick a flatmate, minimizing the chance of the person taking off with my stuff? I know there's no sure way to tell what they're going to be like but at least a set of rules, questions, and observations?

Archived