Are there protein shakes that won't make me gag?

Shakes are a good supplement but you can't do any better than simply eating fresh fish, chicken, red meat, etc.

You can also go to the grocery store and buy baking protein. You can add this to pancake mix and cookies and stuff but you have to use it sparingly or you ruin the taste of the food. Plus, it isn't that great of a help in terms of supplementing protein.

If you're using a protein powder maybe you should try buying some of the premade protein shakes. They usually taste much better and the consistency isn't as gross either. It sounds like your problem might be with the consistency or texture of the shakes so this might be a good way to go.

I love Optimum Nutrition (ON) shakes. Chocolate is my fav., and it does taste like a chocolate shake. I use there meal replacement shakes quite a bit for bulking, or if I need a quick snack/meal on the go (I refuse fast food burgers, fries, etc.).

link removed

Beans and nuts are vegetarian friendly and have a lot of proteins. Though I don't suggest making a nutty-bean protein shake.. yuck!

You could probably make your own with strawberries, bananas and peanut butter though

Warning: I've never actually made myself a protein shake. I do make good milkshakes (ice cream, bananas, strawberries, milk and a bit of orange juice! miam!) though =D

* 1 cup milk

* 1/2 cup banana slices

* 1 tbsp. peanut butter

* 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

* 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

* sweet cocoa powder (optional)

or

1 1/4 c Milk

1/2 c Quaker Oats, uncooked (quick or old-fashioned)

1 lg Ripe banana, cut into chunks

2 tb Peanut butter

1 ts Honey

1/4 ts Vanilla

3 Ice cubes

Combine milk, oats, banana, peanut butter, honey and vanilla in blender container. Cover; blend 1 minute on medium speed or until smooth and creamy. Add ice cubes; cover. Blend 1 minute on high speed or until frothy.

Lots of vegetarians eat real food, not just protein shakes. When cancer patients can't eat they are given protein shakes in order to keep up the nutrients...but they are encouraged to ultimately eat solid food, not just rely on protein shakes. As a previous poster wrote...beans are a good source of protein...although it will probably give you lots of gas. I would suggest you read some books on being a vegetarian and get some cookbooks for vegetarians..there will be plenty of recipes there which will give you the protein you need.

My boyfriend makes a smoothie after the gym every morning with frozen berries, pomegranate juice, low-fat yogurt, and a protein powder. His smoothies are really good and leave me feeling full in a good way. I can find out what powder he uses if you'd like. I've never been able to stomach pre-made protein drinks.

Edit: He uses a low-carb vanilla flavored powder

I recently had surgery in which I could not eat solids for a week. I had to find a protein shake that would not make me gag. I found Ensure was REALLY good. Surprisingly good. At first I was a bit leary of purchasing them because: after all, Ensure is for old folks, right? NOPE not the case. I don't care who sees me buying these yummy shakes.

Pretty much in accordance with what everyone else has said: if you're vegetarian, it might be worth it to invest in a blender and some whey protein and make your own shakes! I'm not completely vegetarian, but I don't eat a lot of meat (mostly I eat fish). How long have you been vegetarian? You should check out the book Diet for a Small Planet by Frances Moore Lappe.

Archived