Can someone explain why he is acting like this?

My ex broke up with me about 2 months ago after we dated for over 2 and a half years. It was basically because he thought we were starting to fight too much and also because he was thinking about never being single in college. He wants to know he can be independent and I guess enjoy the full college experience. Of course this hurt a lot and I've tried everything I could to get back together. I've realized things I've done wrong that caused the fights and told him how I've been working on them. As for him wanting to be independent, there's nothing I can do about that. After 2 months, it hasn't gotten easier. I want to end things on good terms so that maybe something could happen in the future. He's made that very hard though. I only saw him once since the breakup and things were like they used to be. We caught up on what we had been doing. We said we'd think about being friends. I've realized that it would be too hard since we want different things right now. I imed me yesterday just to say hi and he didn't answer. He had an away message up so I figured he'd answer when he got back. He still hasn't answered me and he's been online. This isn't the first time this has happened. What did I ever do to deserve being ignored? All I've done is love him for the past 2 and a half years and he can't even answer me? I just don't understand him. I feel like e-mailing or calling him and just telling him to not worry, I won't ever bother him again. I am so angry at the way he has handled things after the breakup yet I know that I could still forgive him and would try again because I love him so much. Why is he acting as if I'm the one who hurt him? Any advice would be so helpful.

Hey there.

Sadly, ignoring people is a part in shielding yourself from getting hurt. If you can summon enough pain and just focus it all to one source, it's much easier to move on and forget about the past. I am sorry to say that he might be doing this to you. IMHO he seems to be breaking it all off in the most effective pain-killing way possible... For him, that is.

Oops, I forgot the second part of my question. Should I just not contact him again and wait until he gets in touch with me? I know he probably expects me to contact him again since that's what I have done in the past. It's hard though, I'm very tempted to just call him and ask him why he is acting this way. Is this the way many guys deal with things? By avoiding it?