how long to rest in-between sets?

So I've gone onto the next level of my full body program at the gym. Anyway now I've got to do 2 sets of everything with less reps. The gym manager says to just wait around 30-45 seconds between sets.

But for example with the Lat Pulldowns I can pull of my first set of 15 reps no problems, then when I wait 40 seconds and attempt my 2nd set of 15 reps I can't do them, can only do about 11-12 the second set!

So should I wait longer in between sets or what?

Thanks

Don't wait longer. I assume you are going until you are completely incapable of doing any more. If that's the case you're just a little out of shape. Take off a couple pounds for a couple weeks, and do a little running before you're workout. Build up you're cardiovascular system. If you wait longer you aren't helping anything. Take off a little wait to build up a little endurance and you'll be fine.

No, for me, the longer I prolong it, the more I get lazy and just want hit the showers.

I usually rest only for 30 seconds at most, and jump into doing the next reps, sometimes even never, I just do it straight!

Periodically, during rests, you should gulp down lots of water. That's what I do too!

Nate, do you mean sets, or reps? I only do 2 sets, of 15 reps of lat pulldowns for example.

Nifty Swifty, when you say take of a couple of pounds, are you talking about the the weight on the gym equipment or MY weight. I'm already pretty thin so I won't need to lose weight! It's not that I run out of breath, it's that on the second set I can't complete the 15 reps because my arms are too damn sore.

A bodybuilder whom just got his pro card this past weekend at a competition in Miami trains me. He had me on a similar program in order to shock my system into growth. I was allowed 40-60 seconds rest between sets, which I then immediately continued on the required rep amount. I never rested any longer than I was allowed, simply because it allows the muscles too much time to recuperate. On a high rep workout, you are trying to build fast twitch muscle fibers and you need to keep them under constant tension. If you have a specified amount of weight that you need to do then get someone to spot you on that 2nd and final set, but do it! If you think you need to lower the weight, then you may need too, but make sure that you increase the amount of weight from week to week and not lower that amount of weight. Your body's muscles need to be under consecutively greater loads in order to grow. (ALWAYS HAVE SOMEONE AROUND WHO CAN SPOT YOU. IF YOU PUT THE WEIGHT ON AND YOUR UNDER IT, THEN DO IT!)

Hope this helps...