yep, another "g/f wants a break"

acman1

hi, im new to this board. i've been reading a lot of the posts, and have read a lot of good advice. here's my sit. my g/f of 3 years recently broke up w/ me about 3 or 4 weeks ago. i've been kinda a wreck since then. we have a long distance relationship, so we obviously have to talk on the phone a lot. our phone conversations suck (mostly my fault for not thinking of things to talk about). and that is part of the reason why she broke up w/ me. she also says that i'm not in love with her anymore and that i don't care about her. in reality, i've tried to do everything in the world to make her happy. whenever we are together, everything is fine, and we are both happy. this is the second time she has broken up w/ me also. i kinda think that there was something else that made her want to leave, but i have no idea what. i wrote her a letter asking her. that was the only contact i've had w/ her since she broke up w/ me (not counting the night i called her drunk thinking it was someone else). she said she still wants to be friends, but that seems so hard since i am so attached to her. i want nothing more than just to be with her. what do i do? thanks.

Hi Acman1,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your situation.

I think you might be reading into the situation a bit to much. Long-distance relationships can be very high maintenance, and this sounds like it was. The girl wants more, and it is not possible under the current circumstances.

Do you really want to get her back, or is it your desire to be loved that would have you get back with her rather than be alone? You must clarify this in your mind before you can decide what to do in this situation. Once you have concluded this, you will know what you should do. Be honest to yourself - or you may hurt yourself in the future.

Hope this helps you some,

yah, i was kinda thinking the same thing. in a way, i am afraid to be alone. but on the other hand, i really care about her. she does mean everything to me. i just know that i am the happiest whenever i am with her.

what you said makes perfect sense tho.

Hi Acman1. Sorry to hear about your breakup. It does seem like there was something your ex-g/f was looking for from you, because she interpreted it as you not caring anymore (even though you do care). What was her expectation? If you don't know, I'd write her again -- politely -- asking her to explain more fully.

It may be she's grown tired of the long-distance aspect. Or maybe she feels like things aren't going anywhere.

Charmed is right, too, though -- you have to decide what you want too. Do you want to continue this long-distance thing? Are you willing to make any changes for the sake of love?

We are all afraid of being alone, in some way. But don't worry -- we all make it through, with the help of one another.

Hope things work out for you.