Jump to content

Will claiming my dad on my tax return affect his social security benefits?

Recommended Posts

Hi all.. I'm hoping someone on here will know the answer to my question. My dad is disabled and retired.. His only source of income is a social security check he receives every month. Since his income is so low he is not required to file a tax return. I want to claim him on my taxes so that I get the extra exemption, however he is afraid that by me claiming him it will affect his social security benefits. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Link to comment

Where do you live?


One of the easiest ways I know of to figure this sort of thing out is to use the tax software to put in different scenarios. Although I know there are people who can answer a specific question if they know all the details, sometimes plugging all the numbers into the appropriate tax software can be a reasonable way of figuring things out.


I have to ask though, if his only source of income, which you state is a social security check, does not include support monies from you to him, is claiming him as an exemption really the right thing to do in the first place if it's even possible?


In general, in Canada for example (wher I live) you'll find that most things you transfer from one person to another don't end up changing things in total all that much. The gov't seems to get their money one way of another. This of course isn't true in all cases, but often seems to work that way.

Link to comment

I don't think it should affect it, since he has a disability. The reason I say this is that many minors with disabilities receive a check from social security, even when their parents claim them each year.


But if I were you, I would definitely check with an accountant, just to be sure. They know the laws in and out.

Link to comment

The government doesn't just run stories through their computers, they run social security numbers. If his number comes up saying he receives benefits and is living with you as a dependant(according to your tax form) while the information he gave to the Social Security Administration is different, there's a good chance you'll be audited and he'll be called into the Social Security office so they can double check the information he gave.


If that sort of hassle is worth the possible benefits(that aren't guaranteed), then go ahead. But I would talk with your dad first. He may not want to go through that.

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...