A Q for all you peeps who use a treadmill upstairs.

Depends on the treadmill in terms of cushioning and noise reduction. An exercise bike can be just as bad. And how you run. If you run with a heavy foot, not only is it bad for your joints, it sounds bad.

My treadmill is pretty quiet, as long as I keep it oiled properly at regular intervals.

Depends on the treadmill in terms of cushioning and noise reduction. An exercise bike can be just as bad. And how you run. If you run with a heavy foot, not only is it bad for your joints, it sounds bad.

My treadmill is pretty quiet, as long as I keep it oiled properly at regular intervals.

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe they might have springs inside them so it absorbs the noise.

Do treadmills in general really lessen the noise a lot?

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe they might have springs inside them so it absorbs the noise.

Do treadmills in general really lessen the noise a lot?

Well, mine has a cushioning platform that absorbs some of the shock and pounding, it is springier so there is less "noise". The noise that there is really comes from the fan, or the sound of the belt itself (which is minimal).

Cheaper treadmills tend to be louder though (and less comfortable to run on).

Let's put it this way - I run at 5:00 in the morning while my bf is still sleeping, and it does not wake him up.

If running upstairs would makes a load of noise for people downstairs, is running on a treadmill just as noisy?

I'm wanting to get a treadmill but I'm worried that running on it is going to make a load of thundering noise downstairs.

Looks like I may have to get an exersise bike instead.

Yes it is noisy. The guy that lives above me decided to get a treadmill for his New Year's exercise resolution, and I can tell you I did NOT appreciate it. He's now promised to move it somewhere else. Don't do it, unless you like getting complaints. It really is very loud.

One thing I did when I moved into my apartment this month was to ask the people downstairs when they got up in the morning and where they spent the most of their morning hours. I explained to them that I have walking videos and wanted to exercise in the mornings and I didn't want to wake them up or bother them. They of course were very appreciative and understanding. I have to exercise in the afternoon since they spent their morning hours in the room below where I would exercise. They explained that they were out of the apartment in the afternoon. They didn't mind at all that I asked them since I was being considerate.

One thing I did when I moved into my apartment this month was to ask the people downstairs when they got up in the morning and where they spent the most of their morning hours. I explained to them that I have walking videos and wanted to exercise in the mornings and I didn't want to wake them up or bother them. They of course were very appreciative and understanding. I have to exercise in the afternoon since they spent their morning hours in the room below where I would exercise. They explained that they were out of the apartment in the afternoon. They didn't mind at all that I asked them since I was being considerate.

A textbook example of how to do it. I wouldn't mind at all if someone was that considerate. Have a cookie.

I wish there were more people like you, coffeegirl. People where I live have absolutley no respect for anyone else, for example sometimes people will play music really loud for hours and it can be at anytime, even 4:00 in the morning! Which the whole street can hear.

God knows why no one seems to complain.

Archived