Although we may feel alone, we aren't. I've been suffering from depression for 5 years now. I'm a freshman in college and I cry nearly everyday. My depression isn't as bad as it was in high school. My self mutilation has calmed and so have my crying spells. But, they still occur often. I try to sleep the day away so I don't have to deal with people. I literally sleep 12 hours a day. No joke. People piss me off tremendously (not everyone though)! I hate to say it, but it's true. People who drive slowly in front of me, frustrate me, people who walk right in front of me make me want to throw my fists, people who act loud and obnoxious in my classes make me want to scream aloud. I remember one time a friend and I went outside of our dorms and just screamed. It felt good, and afterwards, we laughed. Anyway, I know many of you hate your lives too and try to think that we really do have it better than soooo many others out there. Then ya think, well, there are starving people everywhere and people who don't have the rights we have, then those thoughts just make you feel even worse b/c you know you have it good, yet you are still depressed. If you are a believer in God, God sees all problems as an equal. So, do not ever think your problems are less than anyone else's. But unfortunately, I have that problem. For instance, my boyfriend's parents are getting a divorce and my parents have been married for nearly 33 years. Yet, I cry more than he does, and complain about life more than he does, and then I tell him "You are the one going through a lot worse situation, but I'm always the one crying." He told me that our problems are no worse than each others. In my life, I have two loving parents, a nice college that I'm attending, a great family, some really great friends, a terrific boyfriend, a great mind and body, etc. I am lucky, but I throw all of that away b/c I think I'm ugly, stupid, boring, that I have no talent, etc. I look at my friends, and I'm jealous of them b/c I point out their good qualities and compare them with my bad qualities. Anyway, right now, I am crying so much. I have disconnected my cell phone and my dorm phone and I refuse to answer my away message on AOL because I am being stubborn and I just do not want to talk to anyone that will say "You know, no one will want to be your friend if you continue this attitude..." Who would want to hear that when you are this depressed? Depression is like cancer: there is no cure for it and you can't get rid of it. Depression can start in two ways (in my eyes); either a tragedy can happen in your life (you lose someone, divorce, an illness, etc.), or there is simply just a chemical imbalance in your brain. That's what I have because I had a perfect life growing up; a nice school, a nice and new neighborhood, a loving family, loving friends, I had a swimming career of 14 years, I was active, involved, and I was a happy little kid, etc. Sometimes, God gives people the toughest obstacles in life to teach us something. (Sorry if you are not agreeing with whole God thing...just please let me know in a nice, calm way). But then you think, well why in the hell would He do this to me? Why would He hurt anyone? I don't know the answer to that, but I think that too.

Anyway, I am struggling everyday with depression. If you would like to talk ever, send me a message!

• Like 1

I sympathize with you, as I think I suffer from bipolar depression, but my peaks and valleys are not always bad. It just sucks to feel this way when you don't' want to. You know how you are expected to act, and wish to do so but just can't. Chemicals are such a pain, especially when we have little control over them. I have heard that recent studies indicate depression can be brought on by our environments, it's no big surprise though. I know what you mean when you talk about how upset you can get about your life, but people with worse lives handle it far better. My girlfriend was that way, she had one bad thing after another happen to her, but she still was happy. Where I was practically living a life of luxury compared to her and was miserable, so pathetic. No that she left me I am even worse. I have been like this since I was about 10, I am now 26. I am finally realizing what is wrong with me and I am going to try and seek some medical treatment. However, I am a little scared to take drugs for something I believe we have some control over. I also don't want to ever feel dependant on drugs to make me happy. On the other hand depression runs in my family and some of the medication has practically brought miracles to their lives. If you haven't done so already I would seek professional help. I have read with depression no one can help you until you are ready to help yourself. I thought I was just share with you, as it always helps to know you are not alone.

Sufferers from depression, including myself, tend to look at hings negatively. This negativity will also slow chemicals being realeased from your brain.

Also, i notice that you, like many others, tend to look at the bad in people before the good. When someone does something and irratates you, you express annoyance at them, but in fact, the only person that is hurting is you! You are hurting yourself.

Depression is not always there forever, some say it is, but i believe its not, you can get out of it and control it so it never annoys you again.

Im starting Cognitive Therapy which is supposed to be the the best therapy for depression and can be done yourself.

Dont rely on doctors and pills all the time. It took me a long time to realise that I can actually help myself.

Here's how to give it a try.

First, draw a table on a piece of paper with the following columns; date, emotion, strength of emotion, situation, automatic thought, rational response, outcome. Now, as you go through the day, record each negative emotion as it occurs, along with the strength of that emotion and the situation you were in at the time.

Then, try to identify the negative automatic thought that led to that emotion. This will take some practice, as humans are not used to analysing their thoughts. It may take you quite a while to get used to the idea of looking for the thoughts behind your feelings, but once you can do it, you'll have made a big step in the right direction. Beck compares this to standing by the side of the road counting cars, instead of standing in the middle of the road and letting them hit you.

For each automatic thought, write down a rational response. For example, the thought 'I'm a useless mother' can be rationally answered with 'I'm not a useless mother - I may have made a mistake under difficult circumstances, but that doesn't make me a bad parent'.

In the last column, record the outcome. Did you believe the rational response? How do you feel now? You'll probably find that you don't believe any of the rational responses at all initially, and that's perfectly normal. It can take a lot of practice before depressed people can identify their negative automatic thoughts, counteract them and believe the responses. But the more times you have the same thought, and write down the same rational response, the more likely you are to start believing that perhaps the rational response is correct after all.

Negative automatic thoughts and rational responses

If you're attempting to counteract your own depression using cognitive therapy - and we recommend that you do - you may find the following useful. It's a selection of negative automatic thoughts and their associated rational responses from the diaries of depressed people. Adding the '(remember: this is a negative automatic thought)' phrase at the start, and 'These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.' at the end of each of your own rational responses may help you believe them. Obviously your thoughts and answers are likely to be different to these, but at least this might give you a guide as to how to fight each thought when it occurs. Note that cognitive therapy can be much easier when carried out with the help of a good psychologist. Ask your doctor for more details.

This depression will last forever. I will never ever get better.

(remember: this is a negative automatic thought)

That's not true. It will end because depression always ends. Nearly everybody experiences depression at some time or other. Some get so low that they think about suicide, but nearly all recover. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I'm really scared.

That's pretty natural. The chemicals in my brain are out of balance, so my perception is distorted. Fear is a logical result of that. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

Even if I recover, I will never truly enjoy life again.

Not true. I'll look back at this in months or years to come and think "That was a bad time", but I won't remember the details. I will be able to enjoy life 100 percent. Looking back on past pleasures may taint them with the depression of my current mood, but that doesn't mean that they weren't enjoyable at the time, and will be again in the future. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I can't be bothered to do anything today. I'll just stay in bed.

That won't help me get better. First, get up, get dressed and either go for a bike ride or, if it's raining, do some exercises in the house, until I'm sweating and out of breath. Then look at what I can do that will be constructive or fun. Mow the lawn, clear out the shed, put up some shelves, buy a magazine and read it, go to the cinema, etc. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

Nothing seems real.

The thought that things are not real is just a lie created by the depression. Once I am over this, things will again feel completely real. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

This cognitive therapy is just too hard. I'll take a rest from it today.

No I won't. This is not some sort of game, this is my life. It may be hard, and it may give me headaches and other pains, but I must concentrate hard on combatting all the negative automatic thoughts that come into my head. Once I can successfully combat them, I can realise that they are just lies generated by the temporary chemical imbalance in my brain. Only then will I start to recover from this depression. If I need to rest, wait until late evening when things feel better. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I don't believe any of this.

So what do I believe? Do I believe that being depressed is the normal state of affairs? Do I believe that I've been depressed all my life, and that anyone who has ever been depressed has stayed depressed? No. I am depressed, it's a temporary chemical imbalance in the brain that is affecting my thought processes by tainting them with negative automatic thoughts. I can get over the depression by being positive and believing what I have written here. I may not believe these words right now, because I'm having a bad time, but they are true and no amount of depression-induced disbelief will change that. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I can't go on, the pain is too much.

Yes I can go on, because eventually I will be well again. If I can't look that far forwards, consider this; do whatever is necessary to occupy myself until the evening, when things get better. That's all it takes; one day at a time and things will improve. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I can't cope; I must take anti-depressants.

Fair enough. If I've really tried my best to cope using cognitive therapy and still things are getting markedly worse (compared with, say, a month ago), then the anti-depressant pills will help. Bear in mind, though, that once I take one I have to continue the course for several months and come off them slowly, and I must also continue with the cognitive therapy and change my lifestyle to a more sensible, enjoyable one. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

Depression is the only reality.

No it isn't. Before this happened, I didn't even really know what depression was. This will pass and I'll be free of it again. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

Life isn't fair

That's right. Life isn't fair, it just is. Sometimes good things happen, sometimes bad things happen. This depression is one of the bad things, but it will pass, and life will be enjoyable again. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

This cognitive therapy doesn't work.

Don't jump to conclusions. Considering the length of time I've been depressed, I can't really expect everything to get better in just a week or a month. If it's taken nearly three months for me to get this low, it may well take me just as long to get back up again. Be patient, continue the therapy and I will get better. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

Therapy only works on simple people.

That's unlikely. Depression affects a lot of people, including intelligent and creative people. Therapy merely teaches me to see the depression for what it is, and counteract it. Saying that it won't work on me is just a negative automatic thought. I am strong enough to get through this. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I'm getting a headache with all this thinking.

That's OK, I'm working hard at helping myself. Initially this therapy will be difficult, of course, but it will get easier as time goes by, until eventually it will become an automatic part of my life, like breathing or eating. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

This weather is really gloomy.

That's true, but clouds and darkness on the outside can't hurt me. So it's a gloomy day, so what? That doesn't stop me doing anything, does it? I may not feel too cheerful, but it's only weather, it can't hurt. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I'm not used to concentrating on my negative thoughts.

It is a bit strange, but it's actually very good for me. All of these bad thoughts are negative automatic ones generated by the temporary chemical imbalance in my brain. They can all be countered with the truth, at which point they are harmless. This thought technique will give me a more positive outlook on life once the depression is passed. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

This thought is really frightening; I don't want to deal with it. I'll just forget about it.

No I won't. It doesn't matter how hard it is to deal with, I will face it and examine it rationally and logically. I must remember that these thoughts are not real; they are just symptoms of depression - negative automatic thoughts. Each time one appears I can face it, examine it and see it for the lie that it is. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

But there are just so many of these thoughts.

My brain is a complex thing, and the depressed part of it is trying as hard as it can to make me feel down, by coming up with new and ever more unrealistic black thoughts. They're nothing, not real. I can defeat all of them. I should remember that 50 or even 100 thoughts may need to be written down before the depression starts to lift. Who knows, I may need to record even more than that, but it doesn't matter; I will get over it. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

These bad thoughts are so strong.

They may be strong, but they're not real and they don't apply to me. They just come from the part of my brain that's suffering from a temporary chemical imbalance. Instead of worrying about them, just recognise that they are negative automatic thoughts. Count them, shoot them down, dodge them, do whatever I want to do mentally, but don't take any notice of them. They aren't real, they won't affect my sanity and they can't hurt the real me. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I feel detached, as though I'm watching my life take place but I'm not taking part.

This is a tough one to bear, isn't it? It's called depersonalisation, and is a classic symptom of depression. There's not much to say except that it will pass, as will all the other symptoms. Remember that I am a single entity - body, brain and mind are all one, and what affects one will affect the other. The detachment will pass, but for the moment, just concentrate on this cognitive therapy and be thankful for what I have in life. I may feel that I can't touch what I love at the moment, but that will pass soon enough. Remember that classic description of depression; the bell-jar. That means that I can see the rest of reality but not quite touch it. Like everything else it will pass with time and concentration. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I'm really worried about the future.

There's no need to be. I can concentrate on the present. I should relax, enjoy myself and generally have fun. The future will take care of itself. I can neither predict it nor control it, which makes it all the more exciting. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I feel hot, flushed, sweating and/or nervous.

That's OK. These are normal symptoms of depression/anxiety, so don't worry too much about such things. Go for a walk in the cold air and things will get better. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

The raging in my head is just too fierce. I want to curl up and cry.

Fighting depression is not easy, but I should also be aware of the causes for my current state, namely over-work, possibly with a sprinkling of SAD. Taking a holiday somewhere sunny would probably be a really good idea, as would doing considerably less work, exercising a lot and going out in the evening with friends. Keep in touch with family, take up new pursuits, and enjoy the good things in life. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I feel good at the moment, but I know I'll feel bad again later, or tomorrow morning.

This negative automatic thought is the wrong way round; the truth is that I feel good now and the chances are I will feel good again, even if there's a temporary lapse - which there may not be. If there is a lapse, I'll recover again. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I'm on my own. I'm scared of my own company.

I've been perfectly happy with my own company in the past. What I'm scared of is not my own company but the thought that the depression will get to me if I stop to think. There's no need to be scared. I have the mental weapons with which to combat the depression. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I'm feeling better already, but it must be false; this cognitive therapy is just providing the illusion of wellness.

Without getting too metaphysical here, how can I feel good if I'm not feeling good? That's like saying 'My leg is broken, but really it's not broken'. If I'm feeling better, then I'm feeling better. If I have the nagging feeling at the back of my mind that things aren't quite right, that's just negative automatic thoughts, probably of the 'This will never end' and 'I'm really concerned about the future' variety. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

But I don't feel particularly happy today.

What do I expect, permanent joy? Nobody in the world is permanently happy. Some days are good, some days are average, some days are crap. That's life. Just because I'm not happy doesn't mean that I'm depressed. There's a big difference, and although it may take me some time to realise it, that is a perfectly normal - and necessary - aspect of life. So don't worry. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I'm still having bad dreams, so I must still be depressed.

There are two things to consider here. First, I can't do cognitive therapy in my sleep, so if there is still a chemical imbalance in my brain, it may appear in the shape of bad dreams. But secondly, I've had bad dreams in the past, so it's really nothing to worry about. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I'm living life automatically. I'm not thinking about what I do. I'm so shallow.

I am not shallow, and I am thinking about what I do. But because I am nearly over this depression, I'm not thinking about everything I do from the perspective of how it will affect my future life in years to come. In other words, I'm living life as it comes and enjoying the moment, which is exactly what I should be doing. I don't need the deep insights of depression. I know that I have to change my life - work less, play more - so the depression would now just get in the way of me changing my life appropriately. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I'm a horrible person.

Am I? Some days I may be a bit grumpy, but that's the same for everyone. Most of the time, though, I'm pleasant to people, not rude or insulting. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I feel a bit light-headed, disconnected.

This seems to happen mostly in the mornings. I think it's partly due to the remnants of last night's dreams, whether I remember them or not, but it's also a form of depersonalisation. Don't worry about it, just go through it and remember the last time of clarity. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

Why do I need to do this therapy? Why can't I sort myself out on my own?

I am sorting myself out on my own. That's exactly what I am doing with this therapy. When I get a bad thought, I'm analysing it and seeing whether it's true or not. So far they've all been false, so there's no need for me to be depressed. Once I have answered all the negative automatic thoughts, I will start to get better. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

This is a truly awful thing to have happened to me. I'm just so upset by it.

Try not to be too melodramatic. I've experienced some bad times recently, but they were due to an illness, nothing else. I can get on with enjoying life, changing some aspects of my lifestyle to make sure that nothing like this ever happens again. That's really all there is to it. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

These feelings are weird. This can't be depression, it's something else.

No it's not, it's most definitely depression. Depression includes feelings of anxiety, stress, choking, panic, depersonalisation, fear of the future, loss of self-esteem, paranoia, etc., etc. There are so many symptoms, and all the symptoms I have felt and am feeling are due to depression, nothing more. Time, rest and most importantly this cognitive therapy will allow me to recover from this completely. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I'm scared to relax and be myself in case I relapse or do something silly.

There's no need to be scared. Since I've been depressed I haven't done anything irrational, and everything I've written has been sensible and reasoned. I can relax and enjoy my life without planning how a particular event will go. There's no reason at all to be scared. I am a sensible person and depression doesn't change that. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

I'm thinking too much.

That's OK. This is partly due to the depersonalisation, which will pass given time, and partly due to the fact that I'm busy watching my negative automatic thoughts. Just as long as I know when to relax and enjoy myself (which I will), all will be well. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

Once this is over, I'll go back to my old routine and mess it up again.

No chance. I've been through Hell, and I'm not repeating that again. It's been horrible, and I know that my lifestyle must change. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

When I think of my past I get nostalgic and a bit low.

(remember; this is a negative automatic thought).

Why? With the exception of one or two incidents, my past was interesting, exciting and enjoyable. I made the most of it all at the time and enjoyed myself with good friends, so there's no need for any regrets or other nonsense. Don't worry about such things. My past is what has made me what I am, so remember it with good feelings. I don't want to go back because I've been there. I can move on to new adventures. These bad emotions are not real. They are due to a temporary chemical imbalance in my brain.

IM NO EXPERT ON COGNITIVE THERAPY, BUT IM USING IT NOW TO COMBAT MY DEPRESSION AND ITS WORKING, WORKING VERY VERY WELL.

GOOD LUCK,

TONY, 27, IRELAND.