Reverse psychology and the "Rebound" relationship

love4life

thread got a bit silent!

How are all of you doing lately?

I've been doing better and better, just think back about her from time to time but it gets less every day.

I am at the 2 month mark of No Contact right now and will go for 1 more month until her birthday is and give her a short and plain msg.

Nothing more, nothing less... just let her know that I care about her birthday.

Hope all of you move forward and evolve!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F2F: Wow, 2 months already? How time flys when you are having fun!!!!

That's about 5 months for me. Stupidly broke it once thinking I could handle the friend zone. After that I went completely off the map. Recently a mutual friend said that she had been asking about me. instead of buckling as I would earlier, it strengthens my resolve and proves to me that i am doing the right thing. If she wants to have a meaningful talk, it had better be to me.

I do still think her about quite a bit and I still love her, but NC is a way of life now and I have no intention of breaking it now or in the future.

Interesting that you will send her a birthday greeting. I used to think like that. I had it marked on the calendar but then realised that I was focusing on it. I wouldn't send it if I were you!

SB

Yeh time goes faster and faster somehow,... but the healing gets better also.

I broke NC also back then when I went for the first time in NC and noticed I were not ready for it at all.

Well I am not sure if I will sent it but I guess I will, just a really short one and show my maturity. It is just a text msg and will be something like "Happy birthday to you! Have a nice day and enjoy it! X Me". Nothing more nothing less.

I spoke to her little sister yesterday on facebook because she was searching for a ticket and I knew where she could get those tickets. I kept the convo short and made some jokes so the conversations was fun but I left it at that and I felt good after it.... It just let it be like that for now and let my ex gf just think about it...

Thanks, Origami. Though to be truthful, I'm having a horrible time moving on from my ex. I've fallen for all the old breadcrumb tricks probably MORE times than poor Charlie Brown has fallen for Lucy's football! It's pathetic. But I'll get there someday. SOON I hope.

Building a bit on my last post, I'd like to bring up NC next. From the things I've read here on eNotAlone, many people (possibly the majority) are looking at NC as a means to persuade their ex's back. I think many try to mask it by making it sound as if they are doing it for themselves, but honestly it seems that in most cases they are hoping it will bring the ex back. Again this is something I COMPLETELY understand as I am in the middle of my own personal drama. The thing is, if you are honest with yourself and admit that you are trying NC to lure the ex back, you may want to consider a couple things.

First off, does it fit YOUR particular situation? Case in point: My girlfriend left me after almost 7 years because she thought she was in love with someone who didn't love her. You see I've suffered over the years from closeness issues due to past relationship experiences and this had me unknowingly pushing her away (when I say "unknowingly", I don't mean I was completely unaware of my behavior. It's just that this issue seems to involve a lot of subconscious reactions and a lot of denial regarding your actions). But what this means is that NC after she broke up with me probably wouldn't have been the smartest option. I felt that she needed to KNOW that I DO love her and always have. I had to TRY and make her aware of this problem, even as I was learning about it myself. I think by just going NC I would have cemented her opinion that I didn't love her and that her decision was the right one.

Secondly, if you go NC and the ex DOES eventually return, make sure that you listen to what others here have advised and take things VERY SLOWLY. In fact I would suggest NOT to take them back right away. I would make them wait. Tell them that you need time to consider their proposal. Tell them you need to be sure THEY'VE changed; that THEY have worked on bettering their own personal issues to help ensure the two of you don't fall into the same pitfalls. If the ex is willing, and gives you your time, get back into dating them as if they were a new person (I know...not COMPLETELY possible but you understand the concept). I believe trying to jump in where you left off will doom your second chance. I know this from personal experience as I had unknowingly used NC and it worked for me on several occasions in my life. So heed my words and if you get that chance, TAKE IT SLOW.

Sorry for yet another LONG and rambling post!

Good post!

I agree, that many on here implement NC with the hope of bringing back the ex. I do think that is ok to a certain extent, just as long as it is a secondary reason. The first reason is to heal and preserve one's self esteem.

Of course, usually when people take on NC they are emotionally fragile and heartbroken. Nearly everybody would rid themselves of that pain by unconditionally taking back the ex at that time, but after a while NC allows you to look at the situation without the pain and with a much more realistic and honest point of view.

I like to look at NC this way: Your old relationship is over! Accept that immediately and do the next best thing, which is to create some space while the dust settles. During this time, YOU MUST address your issues, reflect on the past but also look forward. Reclaim yourself and the things that make you happy. Improve yourself in all areas....reinvent yourself. During this time, your ex may rethink their decision, they might not. Whatever! Because whoever walks into your life next is going to love the new you.

Keep some hope for the ex but be open minded. Relationships end for a reason and sometimes it is better not to go back.

SB

I like to look at NC this way: Your old relationship is over! Accept that immediately and do the next best thing, which is to create some space while the dust settles. During this time, YOU MUST address your issues, reflect on the past but also look forward. Reclaim yourself and the things that make you happy. Improve yourself in all areas....reinvent yourself. During this time, your ex may rethink their decision, they might not. Whatever! Because whoever walks into your life next is going to love the new you.

Keep some hope for the ex but be open minded. Relationships end for a reason and sometimes it is better not to go back.

SB

Perfectly said. Space is not something we should fear. I know it's much easier said than done, but it really DOES allow for the emotional "dust to settle" (great phrase, Streetbob) and gives both parties the opportunity to gain proper perspective. If we DO reconnect with our ex's sometime down the road, hopefully everyone will be in happier healthier places. Approaching it as a fresh start I think is vital and something I haven't really done before. As I said earlier, I've had great success several times in the past by unknowingly using NC, but other factors ultimately messed things up for me.

By the way, someone here mentioned the thread "Nonchalance is Your Friend" by CrapAtNC. I'm sorry but I forgot who suggested it but THANK you! Some really good positive ideas in that thread (which is actually longer than THIS one) and I highly suggest everyone try that one as well. GREAT stuff (I love Crap. He really needs to write a book).

I'm the dumpee. After I went NC, my ex reached out to me, so I responded. She told me her feelings for me were coming back, so I asked if she thought about reconciling. She said no, since she wants to be decisive and stay with the new guy (I didn't know they were dating). I'm going to go back into NC, but I'm wondering since absence made her heart grow fonder, is that going to stop growing now that I reached out, and she knows I still want to reconcile?

I'm the dumpee. After I went NC, my ex reached out to me, so I responded. She told me her feelings for me were coming back, so I asked if she thought about reconciling. She said no, since she wants to be decisive and stay with the new guy (I didn't know they were dating). I'm going to go back into NC, but I'm wondering since absence made her heart grow fonder, is that going to stop growing now that I reached out, and she knows I still want to reconcile?

No I highly doubt it. It's a setback but doubtful that it's permanent. But some background would be more helpful. How long were the two of you together? How long have you been apart? What are the facts surrounding the breakup? And how did this last conversation go?

I think if you were too eager and accepting you may have come accross as needy or weak. What likely happened is that when you vanished, it freaked her out. She didn't expect that. But if you were too overly willing to take her back, she probably got her ego fed and now feels she can relax.

If (or likely WHEN) she reaches out again, maintain control. You need to look at like this: SHE is contacting YOU. Obviously she wants something. Even if it's just a selfish ego boost. Whatever it is, make her work for it. She needs to prove to you that she's worth your time. After all, she dumped you and is now seeing someone else. If her feelings for you really are coming back, and they are genuine, they're not going anywhere. In the meantime, do some reading on the thread "Nonchalance is Your Friend" by CrapAtNC. It may help you formulate a more relaxed attitude for when she DOES come sniffing around again. Good luck.

We were together for 10 months. We've been apart for two. She's still figuring out the break-up, but the one clear-cut issue was distance. The conversation lasted an hour. It was light-hearted and fun. Come to think of it, I've always been relaxed during any contact since a week after the BU. She kept apologizing because she felt guilty, but I was just whatever about it. It weirded her out a month ago that I took the break-up well, and she's still surprised that I haven't victimized myself and blamed her because that's what she's been used to with her exes. Nah, I wasn't really eager about reconciliation, more like curious. I have my own reservations for an immediate reconciliation. Maybe this sounds *******-ish, but I just want to have that option there in case I do want it. Don't get me wrong, I do want reconciliation, but I wouldn't immediately take her back. We'd have to discuss it, and I need to ensure she knows I'm not O.K. with her seeing if the grass is greener again. She's still taking all of the blame for the BU (she brings that up, not me), because she has me on this pedestal, but she got too impatient with the distance. When we broke up, she saw no future since she was too afraid to move to me, but she never conveyed that, and I didn't want to move to her area. I'm willing to now, so that's behind us, but it's too late in the sense that her feelings had already faded because she didn't see a future. I was the one to end the conversation. Shehe also felt the need to apologize for "incessantly" contact me when I went NC lol. She was very relieved when I told her she's not one of the "bad" people I cut out of my life. Could have been worded better, but oh well, that's probably a pretty bad mistake on my part. At the same time, I hope that she knows I don't blame her for anything, hence why I'm not trying to make her feel guilty even though she easily feels guilt.

I already read that nonchalance thread, but it's occurring naturally with me anyway. The problem with that is that I'm also on verge of taking it too far every now and then, or thinking it anyway. As in...I'm not bitter, but her confusion and indecisiveness sometimes annoys me. A part of me wouldn't mind being petulant and telling her to go away in some mean way just so that I can put it behind me and not have to deal with it lol. My nonchalance is a reflection of how uncaring I sometimes am at the moment about her contact with me. I'll look at a text and think, "Heh, another breadcrumb. Nothing worth responding to."

She reaches out also because she's worried about me and genuinely cares about me. She obviously feels guilt (nothing done on my part). My friends and I see her as caring, but sometimes we just get annoyed and think, "Ugh...she's being a stupid girl right now. She needs to figure out *** she wants." The good thing is that I kind of went through what she did 3 years ago, so I know that feeling of confusion and indecisiveness. The confusion of why your attraction for somebody just suddenly fade.

She seems very attached. Obviously, at the moment of the BU, my begging did nothing. After a week of contact, a week of NC, and 4 weeks or so of LC, she still missed me even though I asked about reconciliation. It's been like...3 or 4 weeks now, and even after all of that, she's growing more attached to what we had, missing me more, her feelings for me are increasing, and she's wondering whether or not she'll regret the BU. Good on her that she's choosing to stay with him though. I see that as a sign of her growing up and making the firm choice to not hop around like she did with me.

Which...suddenly brings a question into my head. We're always weary of people going through G.I.G.S. and such, but when an ex leaves a rebounder for us again, then why would we take them back considering that's technically "jumping around?" I guess it's the confidence that we're different than the rest, and we're the best or something?

I'm pretty confident she'll be back. This guy seems like a nice guy, but he's friends with an ex of hers who was an ******* and a guy who she wanted to date but was turned off when he became a total sleaze. They probably have more in common together than she did with me. With that said, I'm also concerned with how she'll be able to grow and her well-being. The fact that we broke up amicably and she sees nothing but good in me can't be good for their relationship. She even told me she would love to see me, which concerns me. It concerns me because I see that as a sign of disrespect for her boyfriend, while at the same time I'm sure it would only be a unique situation with me. I'm saying that because I'm the best among her exes in everything (pretty easy to be when she was dating guys with huge insecurities and mental issues).

Yeah, but enough about the background. Here's why I keep wondering about it. That conversation was a fun one, and she definitely enjoyed it. I believe that having something enjoyable and fun will keep her coming back for more. However, the actual thing I'm concerned about is if her feelings for me will slow in growth because she subconsciously knows I still want her back. In most cases I would say yeah, there's a setback, but she's known for the past 2 months that I've wanted her back, but her feelings have only continued to grow lol. I'm also unsure if subsequent "reapplications" of NC are as effective as the first couple of times. Then again, I never reached out to her.

I'm curious because I want to know for future relationships. I actually naturally went no contact with my ex before her. That was before I even knew what the concept of no contact was on paper. It just seemed natural to me at the time. Seeing the results from that, it was probably much easier to do what I did with my current ex as opposed to never having gone through NC before.

I just need to figure out where to balance the contact. If I never reply to anything ever, then she'll either eventually move on or think I don't want to hear from her. Of course, too much contact would be like being her emotional crutch. If anything, the frequency of contact between us, especially my replies, is getting more sparse with time. That is definitely by my choice, not hers.

Edited by ZhaoZilong5

I can aprove this theory - well , kinda . about a year ago , my ex left me and not so long after , she was in a relationship with such an ugly guy , who was the oposite of me in every way . morals , habbits , style ...

I was already in no contact with her for a while , and I actually didn't know they were together , until one day he dialed me while drunk , he interduced himself and then threatened me . I stayed calm and cut him off . and right after that I searched him up on facebook and couldn't stop laughing that THIS is the guy she left me for (sorry if that sounds cruel , but he is a complete scumbag) .

Same day she messages me and says she xan explain what happened if I unblock her . I told her it's not neccessery , and wished her good luck with her new boyfriend . and a couple of days later? they break up .

Seems like she needed to stroke her ego?! and feel loved and see how she is still wanted by you probably...

Really rude and the same happened to me, i see some identical things when i read your story.

Best is to keep it low on either no contact or limited contact and if she comes back like that again then dont ask for reconciling right away... treat her like a co-worker,... but you seem to know what to do already.

You are less replying to her and she is reaching out more to you then you are reaching out to her.

Keep it like that and let her feel that you are not just around there for her because she broke up with you.

She needs to see the consequences and only then people will learn from their mistakes and truly see what they miss and have lost.

Keeping this short. Got assholes apparently stalking my posts and trolling me. Anyway, it feels pretty good. I probably wouldn't take her back unless...let's see...9 more months pass. 2 and a half at the very earliest. Scheduling reasons, nothing more lol. I'm not sure if I feel good because time has passed or if it's because I know her affection's growing. Anyway, she keeps breaking the NC that I initiated, and there's nothing new, interesting, or important to respond to, so there's no urge for me to respond. I responded because I didn't want to feel like a jerk, but whatever lol. She knows why I'm going NC, and I'm tired of reiterating it.

Last text out of the blue told me she missed me, hopes I'm doing well, blah blah blah. Thanked me for treating her so well especially after a ****ty year before, says I'm an amazing person and knows I'll go far in life because I'm a great person. I guess that's a good position to be in. I see it being good that she sees high value in me. I see it being a grey area as in they're just breadcrumbs and not really anything about regret or reconciliation. I see it possibly being bad if it's a "friend-zoned" kind of text, which would be weird because I haven't been responding lol. Opinions? Seriously, no trolls. Go away.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been 3 months since BU of a almost 5 year RS, and I think that he actually "dated" her new girl the day before he broke up with me. I think that give him the courage to dump me... I've been in NC since then and I don't know anything about him, if he is with someone else or still, if he is happy or not, anything. But just the last week someone unknown sent me a message by facebook telling me "How does it feel that "ex's name" left you for someone else?" That either is a confirmation that he is with someone else (made it public) or just his crazy exgirlfriend (or someone else) who still try to hurt me... He haven't contacted me in all this time, he even blocked me after I unfriend him in facebook one month later. So, don't know where we stand anymore. Stupidly I still want him back... I think of him every day and just want him back... I even hate myself for this but I still love him. I do want to recover my life, I'm even going to study abroad as I always wanted but... Now I'm not too excited about it. I will gadly exchange the opportunity to have him back... I know, I'm so stupid, right?

Don't know if is a rebound, if is a new love, if he would come back... He loved me dearly, we just started to fight a lot the last months, coincidentally when new sale women enter at his work place, what was a red flag for me, but tried not to say anything as we had problems with jealousy before (not that I was wrong about it though) and we are 26 and just finished getting our degree... So I think a lot of things were going, but not know what to think anymore. We also were looking for a place to move in together... sigh*

I'm in the NC mode now with my ex who's been in a 4 month relationship with a guy, we broke up 6 months ago. She was devastated for those 2 months, and tried everyday to get back with me, we didn't have a bad break up at all.

She still manages to keep one foot in the door, and actually met me 3 weeks ago for coffee. She didn't give her new relationship flyiing colors, and almost left the door open for me. I'm in NC mode now since we met, because basically the ball is in her court. I'm hoping NC works for us.

I don't think it's a rebound if your ex already emotionally detached themselves from you whilst still in your relationship. I think this is what happened to me and it still kills me...maybe even more than if he'd just 'rebounded' because I feel like the last months of our relationship were only sincere on my part. He moved on a month after we split (we were together over a year) and he hasn't looked back since (it's been 8 months for them). Sigh. Such is life!

First off this thread is great and everyone here gives good advice. Here is my story me and my ex girl of 2 years, broke it off with me some time in July a week before my birthday. While we did have a great relationship and the good times we had were outstanding, the last 2 months of the relationship started to go down hill. I was stressed with lots of things,financially,and emotionally. I had talked to her about giving us space only for a week or 2 and she continued to stay with me after I told her. This made me shut down and back off. she took it to heart and now she felt like I neglected her etc. She moves all her stuff out in June but we still continue to see each other on the weekends,we do our usual things together such as going out for dinner,walks,sex and what not. It seemed like things were going great because space is what we needed. Being so close like that we smothered each other and things just got stale,we had no independence outside of the relationship and I think that's what killed it. So in July I spend the night at a place where she was house sitting,we make love and talk in bed right after. She tells me she needs a break to 'find herself' and can't move forward and forgive me for what I did to her. I calmly accept her wishes and agree with every thing she was saying. A week before my birthday July 21st she tells me she cannot make it to my birthday because some thing 'came up' and she feels real bad about it. This party has been planned a month before for a big birthday bash at my house that she was going to cater. So she comes to my house that morning,goes into my room to wish me happy birthday,had some birthday sex and tells me she is going up north to a cabin with this guy. My heart sank and lost my erection immediately lol. She tells me she has to go, we kiss each other good bye and I tell her to call me the next day so we can hang out,she agrees to it. Sunday comes we were supposed to go out to the lake and go boating, I wait all day for her to call and by 4 pm in the afternoon she tells me she just woke up and is now going boating with someone else. A little messed up? yeah..This is where I lost it,panic anxiety,stress,heartbroken, you name it. Monday is here and I made the stupid mistakes of crying,begging,pleading,calling,texting. I see her that evening after work and she is real afraid to even look at me,but we end up crying,kissing and holding each other,saying I love yous and tells me she will get back with me,but needs time. I go strict NC for a month and then out of no where she text me that we are over and tells me she is now happy with this other person. Keep in mind right after we broke up a week later she rushed into things with this guy. That is what hurt the most. So far it's been 2 months since i've seen her. Since she has told me she's moved on and no longer loves me, I had to talk to her to get some things off my chest for her to understand every thing and get some closure. When I saw her last week,she was shocked at the all the weight I lost,I could see it in her expression and she smiled. I asked for a hug,she agreed to it and held each other for about 10 minutes not saying a word. I know we both had that feeling while holding each other,but she is seeing someone else atm. I shake her hand,she squeezes ever so tightly and I tell her goodbye, then she says 'for now,I want to reconnect once things settle' ***? What in the world is going on and what the hell does she mean? Please advise.

Since she has left, I have been on strict NC until or if ever she decides to contact me. I'm proud to say that I have been doing this myself and I get better everyday. I admit my mistakes and apologized to her about every thing I've done. All she can say is that she is 'sorry' I don't know what she is sorry for and she doesn't admit to her mistakes in the relationship. I was the first to give her my heart after a year of being with her and she destroyed me and completely screwed me over. What she is doing is cowardly. I have lost 35 lbs since July, by eating right and exercise. Took up a second job and now have 16 hour days to keep me occupied. I look great and feel great. I no longer have the migraines that I used to get while I was with her. Perhaps I made it out with my soul on this one.

What about if you haven't been in the picture for a long time and they contact you? In my case I didn't talk to her for three months - She has been seeing a guy who she already broke up with once for over a month I think they have been together since about Jan. I decided I could be her friend ...we will see haha.

I've made some huge changes in my attitude my appearance (got it great shape) and my confidence is sky high. I've seen her a couple times and the chemistry was really high lots of flirting. She wanted to talk about our relationship good and bad. And she told me the guy she was dating was "very insecure the opposite of you". She also talked about our future together and how she always has the best times with me. very strange to hear all that.

On the flip side I'm not expecting anything - if she is happy with this guy then that is great. I feel good about the break-up it just didn't work with the way I was acting.

However if she starts to contact me less then I'll know I am just giving her what this guy can't and I'll be out the door. I am also letting her contact me so she has to work for it - I'm focused on dating other woman right now.

I am currently undergoing a breakup, and I am the dumpee. It happened on Friday, and I was really tempted to call him or text him this deep and meaningful letter-don't worry I didn't. even though I am dying inside and have yet to see him since the breakup, I have been going to the gym a lot and dressing attractively. I am a really fit person, but I never liked showing it off to anyone but him. But lately I've been wearing crop tops and shorts to the gym and not to mention bumped into his room mates and friends there, do you think that even if he didn't see me that it helped ? also, not to be TMI but sex was never an issue. It was always great, and he was always more than satisfied. He just went on a trip that separated us and "opened his mind to a new path in life." Do you still think sex was the deal breaker ?

Hi Whiteoleanders...can you provide a bit more detail on the breakup? It's not entirely clear what happened. At one point you say "sex was never an issue", but then a couple sentences later you ask if "sex was the deal breaker". And what was this trip that supposedly opened his mind to an entirely new path? More info will give the rest of us a better feel for what might be going on.

Hi Whiteoleanders...can you provide a bit more detail on the breakup? It's not entirely clear what happened. At one point you say "sex was never an issue", but then a couple sentences later you ask if "sex was the deal breaker". And what was this trip that supposedly opened his mind to an entirely new path? More info will give the rest of us a better feel for what might be going on.

We were together for over two years, and everything was great but then he went on a one week trip to the burning man festival in nevada, and said "a lot has happened and he thought that his life was on a new path now." he said a lot more, but basically he said that he didn't feel like he could handle being in a relationship this year (he's in his thesis year at architecture school) and that I was an addiction that he needed to cut off. What I meant about sex was that it was never an issue. It was daily and he was always satisfied. But we spent the entire summer away from one another, so we didn't have sex for about 3 months.

We were together for over two years, and everything was great but then he went on a one week trip to the burning man festival in nevada, and said "a lot has happened and he thought that his life was on a new path now." he said a lot more, but basically he said that he didn't feel like he could handle being in a relationship this year (he's in his thesis year at architecture school) and that I was an addiction that he needed to cut off. What I meant about sex was that it was never an issue. It was daily and he was always satisfied. But we spent the entire summer away from one another, so we didn't have sex for about 3 months.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's so much more difficult when it comes out of the blue like that. Based on what you've said, it sounds like he's intentionally being vague about what's happened. Either things weren't going well in the relationship and he never let on (which is exactly what my ex girlfriend did to me), or something happened while you were apart that changed things. It's pointless to speculate because it could be a lot of things. If it were me, I'd just brace myself for the worst (whatever that would be for you) and ask him if he'd respect you enough to sit down and talk things out. He needs to be clear and honest about things so that you can make a clear headed decision about what you want/need to do. After over two years together, he owes you that much at least.