Teen Buddhism on the rise in the United Staes

easyguy

I thought this would be interesting to share. I just so happened to be pointed out in the most recent issue of Newsweek magazine an article which is certainly relevant for me, but could very well benefit many of you on this forum. The article is about the rise in Buddhism in the United States among teenagers - how it is becoming a "cool" thing.

Source: link removed

i think thats great!!

I do buddhism at school as an optional subject and my teacher has become somewhat of a role-model for me. I love to see how he can smile at everything, and in later life, after exams, i fully intend to practice Vipassana meditation more and try to perfect it, aiming to become like him in his mind-set!

Buddhism is a truly amazing religion!!

i am generally an atheist even though my family is christian. But buddhism is more about meditation and spirituality right? Out of all the religions its seems like one worth in investing time in, wondering if someone could give me a brief background on the religion? Sounds like its a pretty cool outlet.

i am generally an atheist even though my family is christian. But buddhism is more about meditation and spirituality right? Out of all the religions its seems like one worth in investing time in, wondering if someone could give me a brief background on the religion? Sounds like its a pretty cool outlet.

It is certainly worth investigating, especially coming from someone who takes it to heart.

In a very small nutshell, one of the major points in Buddhist practice is to work towards eliminating the habits of the mind and body which cause suffering in one's self and in others. It is simply a path, not an "all or nothing" philosophy, and is generally very inclusive. Buddhism is not a belief system, but merely, it is a "Here is what worked for me, give it a try" approach to life. There are concepts that anyone can pick up without adhering to Buddhism as their vehicle for complete sanctuary and guidance, and are useful even if you do not want to strive to become enlightened.

Wikipedia actually has a lot of accurate information on the basic concepts of Buddhism here: link removed. But investigate from other sources, too. Talk to people face to face about it, especially those from East Asia.

That's all for now. It can be overwhelming, so be sure to take small steps.

It never hurts, especially in a particularly violent culture like the United States', to at the very least promote compassion - an ideal inherant human quality which has little to do with religion or philosophy and everything to do with common sense. Westernized anything is not wrong, it is just different. It's called syncretism - the influence of one culture onto another (in part, a blending of philosophies). Where I think some go wrong in Western culture is by turning it into an egotistical thing.

Archived