Open Club  ·  26 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

James Frey - Is anyone else upset?

Cindersam

I noticed when I signed on today that this web site is featuring James Frey as an author. I read both of his books and must say I bought them hook, line, and sinker only to discover that he lied extensively in these books.

He was on the Oprah Winfrey show and tried to pass them off as truth. She believed him as did I. After she found out the truth she confronted him and he finally admitted to making up a majority of what was in them.

This man is not an author he is a liar and I don't think this site should promote him.

Thanks for posting Cindersam, just like I told you in the email my role is to bring to your information and it is readers task to cast the vote and be the judge of how helpful their work was. And this is exactly why we have this forum created.

I agree with you that exaggerating his experience in this book, then going on talk shows apologizing and all was not a wise and professional choice for the author. Beside his apology also the publisher; Random house apologized. The editorial process of today’s publishing industry is much stricter than what it used to be few decades ago they say, but just like this now and then few made up stories surface.

In support of the material e works with I have to say that in contrast to many we do not just publish anything, most of our material comes from large publishing houses, well known authors.

Is that the Million Little Pieces guy? Yeah, it kind of upsets me that he made so much money pretending that he had lived a life half as crazy as the one I ACTUALLY lived. Oh, the stories I could tell - and they're true! I'm seriously thinking about publishing my autobio now.

But worried about who ENA features? Pfff, nah.

Oh I forgot to explain about the book being featured. The whole process of featured authors/books on the main page is a random and automated process. The program refreshed that section selecting one totally random author and one book. It does not really mean enotalone or anyone here endorses them or manually picked them.

Part of me wonders what was true. Like how much of it was a based on his actually experience. Like was there a Lily? What drugs did he do? How long was he really there for? Was he really as screwed up when he first got there?

You know what I mean.

Yeah I was a little disappointed because it was like "wow you went through all this struggle, your amazing" and them its like "oh its not true". It makes the story lose its meaning to people it touched. I still think its a compelling story though.

I think the reason it bothered me so much is because my son had a problem with meth a few years ago. I read Frey's books while my son was in rehab and totally soaked it all in. When I found out it was a lie I felt somewhat betrayed. If h would have passed it off as fiction to begin with I would have read it in a much different way.

Archived