Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

About Me

1. Just got this idea for a fiction book. It would be nothing but a list of all the opening messages that the main character, a man, has sent to different women over a 33-year period on a (fictitious) online dating site. No responses are printed (after all; there are never any; this is online dating The main character has, in fact, begun to use these messages as a sort of anonymous journal with very short entries. But each one is addressed to someone's username and makes references to something in her profile (thereby providing some humorous references to the kinds of things people on online dating sites tend to write in their profiles), and ends with a "confident" ending like "Write me back! Look forward to hearing from you." As the book progresses, the guy goes through different "phases" as to the kinds of messages he writes. Sometimes he goes through negative phases and writes insulting messages to people over a period of several weeks. Sometimes he flips the other way and tries to "win them over with kindness". He's always sort of trying to elicit a response, but at the same time knows it will never come and lets loose with the occasional deep personal tidbit. As he tries to be "spontaneous" in his messages, he will naturally mention various things presently going on in his life. The reader can learn about his backstory, interests, family events, triumphs and tragedies; etc. You will see him go through personal phases, life phases and changes of interests. For example, at one point you will realize that he has caught a serious disease, because he starts to include a sentence in all his messages like "In the spirit of honesty, I should inform you that I have cancer, but my doctor believes there is a likely chance that I can beat this. Here's hoping". In future messages you will find out the progression and end result of his struggle against the disease. Of course, over a 33-year period, there will be many changes to the dating website itself: new features, new search mechanisms, some of which he likes and some which he doesn't. You'll find out about them by reading his messages (e.g. "Please respond via email; I have an older computer which does not work with this site's brainwave thing - and I don't think that's real communication anyway.") - or something more realistic. What do you think?
  2. Hi all, I want to know if anyone has ever felt lazy but been powerless to overcome it. Like right now I could be studying but there's no fibre in my being that is inclined to make me do so. It's like I think about needing to do something, and get hit with a wave of fatigue and don't feel like I have the energy to actually do it. But what's more annoying is that once I really get motivated to do something and get right on it the motivation dies really quickly and I start flagging again, lose concentration, and get frustrated. What does this sound like and is there a cure? Is it just lazy or could it be bad sleep or something else? Some say it sounds like A.D.D. but I have a hard time believing it, I come from a pretty switched on family and blood line that isn't predisposed to those sorts of things. I'm the youngest of four brothers, could it be that my life was just too easy or something? TEJC
  3. Hey there folks... I was just wondering... How many of you have heard of Osgood-Schlatters, and / or Servers Disease? Becuase I have them both, and in both legs / ankles... Osgood-Schlatters Disease, (OSD), is a disease in which too much physical activity on the thighs and calfs in pre-teen to teenage years causes inflamation of the tibia, (main knee joint), and a bump to form on your bone, slightly below the tibia, or kneecap. I also have Servers Disease, and it's the same thing, it's just that this is caused when your feet and calfs have too much activity, and these lump forms on the achilles tendon. Both are painful, and nomally last for 9 - 12 months... If you have heard of it, do you know anyone who has it? Have you ever had it? Do you currently have it? Please respond...
  4. This was a prose poetry assignment we had to do for my English class. It's set up the way it is because that was the format we were assigned to write it in. Just because I'm gay It doesn't mean that I have some sort of contagious disease Or that you're going to "catch" it from hanging around me too much, Or that I'm trying to "recruit" you for anything, And I don't have a crush on every girl I talk to. Just because I'm gay It doesn't mean that I'm not human, too, Or that I don't have feelings, Or that it doesn't hurt when people tell me I'm going to hell. And I'm not trying to destroy the sanctity of marriage. Just because I'm gay It doesn't mean that I "chose" to be this way Or that my parents didn't raise me like they should have Or that I'm some kind of freak. And I don't want to be tolerated; I want to be accepted- Just for who I am. (By the way, I am actually a girl if the last line of the first stanza doesn't seem to make sense. I'm using "gay" as a general term referring to homosexuality, not just males.)
  5. First off, I'm looking for posts by guys who have been able to kick this disease to the curb, but ladies please chime in as well. I'm 26, recently moved into a city, and I'm having trouble getting girls to stay interested... I'm determined that I have Nice Guy syndrome (and I can't believe there aren't more threads about this on this forum!). Please help! I have learned that looks aren't really that imporant to girls... sure, maybe initally, but that changes depending on how they size you up. To elaborate on my example, girls often do double-takes with me and ask their friends who I am. I make a good living so $$$ isn't the issue. I've nailed down the Nice Guy issue becuase I think women expect me to be an from my appearance, then when I'm all "gentlemanly" with them they totally lose interest. I'm often told that I'm nothing like people expect... my best guess is that I come off as mysterious, but once I make a move or open my mouth that whole persona is chattered. My question is... how do you kick the habit!?!?!? The first things that come to mind are walking up to girls and grabbing their asses (in essense to be more of a jerk)... but it's clear to me that isn't the right solution. Is it true that if I don't show interest she will be captivated? IF that's the case, then how do you ask girls out? I mean, isn't that showing interest? Did I just kill the vibe? How do you ask a girl out without being sweet about it? So confused. HELP!!! - Nemo
  6. Doesn't it just put you in your place? Isn't it incredible the way love puts us all back in our places? How it humbles us and resets our perspective on life? We've come along way the last 6 million years - from caves to communities, through thousands of years of philosophical evolution, building bridges, laying roads, overcoming obstacles our ancestors could never even concieve of. We've landing on the moon for christ's sake! We've split the bloody atom! We've turned the spotlight of science on the universe and the only thing more incredible than what we saw then was what we saw when we turned that spotlight back on ourselves. In the next 50 years we face threat of extinction at the hands of our own doing, and we're coming to terms with the fact that unless we play guardian to other species on the planet, they'll simply cease to exist - and even more phenomenal, we're beggining to embrace that responsibility. We've consistently overcome every obstacle in our path - disease, ignorance, war... we've even overtaken biological evolution, controlling our very genetics and refusing to accept death without a fight. We're not perfect, but we're close. Thanks to the combined development of human understanding within a single person's life we've elavated ourselves to such dizzy heights our humble past is but a spec on the horizon. And yet... despite all of this, there's one relic of our past that still defies us, the one relic that we consciously, willingly submit to. Love is the product of psychological defense mechanisms programmed by genetics and expressed through hormones and behavioural reactions with the ultimate aim of proliferating an individuals genetics into the next generation, preserving the species. There's no mystery, it simply exists because without it, we wouldn't exist in the first place. There's nothing divine about why we are attracted to one another, you can't pick your partner with a quadratic equation. We fall in love in the same way the first human's did as they stepped out onto the African plains. Which is why that's our mark. Our birthmark. No matter where we go or who we meet in the future, we carry that relic with pride because there's nothing that represents our species more than that. We may never unlock the final secrets of the universe before our sun burns out and our species is snuffed out, but that's alright, because I love you.
  7. Hello, I need some advice, I had sex with a girl twice about a week ago and she just informed me that she had genital herpes. I was furious to say the least. However, I used protection both times but I am reading that you can still get the disease even if you are protected. I have not had any symptoms but I am still scared. I get really tired but I am 99.9% sure that it is due to me being depressed about the notion of having the disease. I went to the doctor and they told me just to wait it out. Any advice on what I should do.
  8. A few recent threads have led me to write about this. I cannot believe how unreliable these things are. In my experience, they have broken on me and fallen off more times than they haven't. This is with different partners too. I've had sex over 500 times all up (5 different partners). Isn't it amazing that this flimsy piece of latex is supposed to protect you from life threatening diseases. I really hope that an STD pill is developed sometime in the near future. Condoms are terrible. If it weren't for the MAP and birth control pills, I'd probably have 4 kids by now. In case you are wondering...abstinence is not an option for me.
  9. How much do you think beauty and health are interrelated? I've read several articles that make the point that true beauty is merely healthy...clear skin indicates vigor and the lack of disease, muscles and strength, curves and vital fertility... However, there are some things that are obviously not healthy yet considered beautiful...some cultures force women to have rings that stretch their necks, some cultures stretch out their earlobes and lips, our culture encourages us to shave, pluck, be underweight, and wear high heels. Then there are the examples from history where very overweight women were considered beautiful. Or when corsets actually squished women's intestines out of place. I've recently lost about five lbs and feel healthier...I feel healthy. I weigh 148. So what weight would you think is actually healthy? The BMI? Are you sure its not culturally influenced? Just want to hear some ideas...
  10. im an 18 year old male who was in an accident and needed a root canal on one front tooth and implant on the other front tooth and a root canal on the next tooth to that. All three will eventually be crowned. I came accross information on a number of different websites (cant post urls) but a clip is here. (There are charts i found that display the following information as well). "Of equal interest is the relationship of root filled teeth to traditional Chinese medicine and body energies. All teeth are linked to the body via acupuncture meridians and having a root filled tooth, a large amalgam filling, a crown, or anything that is not compatible with the body, on a meridian may set up an interference field, blocking or altering the energy flow ( the chi ') passing through this meridian and cause a disease in an organ or body function remote from the tooth. For example a front upper incisor is on the Kidney/ Bladder meridians and having a root treated tooth here may cause gynecological problems, kidney problems, impotence, and sterility if you follow a Chinese medicine theme. These teeth also relate to spinal segments and joints, the front incisor relates to the coccyx and posterior knee and to L2, L3, S3, and 6." also will the crowns look okay assuming my dentist is qualified? thanks a lot
  11. Hello everyone, I just wanted to tell you about the great success I have had with St. John's wort for my depression. (Uh, like a bladder wort plant, not the wart on your third grade teacher's nose.) It is sold over the counter, and can be found in almost any drug store and even grocery stores. It is an all natural herbal supplement, and apparently has few side effects. (I was worried about liver disease, but apparently, it is okay.) Also, it is relatively inexspensive. It takes about a week for it to build up in your system, but it sure works for me, and is kind of like taking a "happy" pill. (Geez, what a relief to finally be able to go around and be happy again.) Now, I don't want you to think that it turns you into a giddy zombie or something. (Well, maybe a little giddy.) I have tried prescription anti-depressants with mixed results. (And many of those have horrendous side effects.) Well, that's about it. (Also, I wanted to mention that this website has been very helpful as well.)
  12. Rocky by Jeffrey2095 I was strolling through our town the other day, when to my great astonishment, I was addressed by a talking stone. "Why, you're a talking stone!" I marveled. He scrunched up his face. "Call me "Rocky", or "Mr. Rock". Nobody ever stops to think that a rock is entitled to a little dignity!" "Hmm, I guess even a rock is due a little respect... we want to be fair. Say Mr. Rock, I saw a program on television the other day, that pointed out that all the heavy elements here on Earth, were created in the middle of stars. In fact, it said that you and I are composed of many of the same ingredients." "Just add water, ha ha." "Very funny. So, what do you do with yourself Rocky, got any hobbies?" "No, I just sit on this rock pile, watching the seasons slowly turn." "Well, how long have you been doing this?" "Oh, about 4.5 billion years; it's very depressing. All I have now, is a view of that tree stump. Why, 7000 years ago I had a view of a nice pond. Then, I accidentally fell down the hill and have been stuck here ever since." "Yes, I guess things would tend to get a bit "samey"." "Well, you don't see any remote control to change the picture with, do you! Still, I don't complain much." "Well, cheer up Rocky; why, you have no idea of the things we humans must endure. You don't have to worry about death, or taxes, or disease, or crime, or hunger, or poverty... in some ways, you have it made my friend!" "You mean you wanna' trade places with me?" What is the meaning of life? Why did God make us? Well, maybe because it was simply worth doing. After all, who wants a universe full of rocks alone? Wouldn't things tend to get a bit "samey"? Peace be with you! If you like this, please share it with a friend. Thank you!
  13. A couple of days ago me, my brother and father had raw oysters. About 30 hours later we all fell ill with food poisoning. I've only just recovered, but still feel completely drained and have no apetite. The actual food poisoning was pretty severe; chills, fever, abdominal pain, cramps and violent vomitting. I've been to hell and back! Anyway, I looked at myself in the mirror this morning and I'm significantly thinner around the face, arms, legs and torso than I was even during the infection. I hadn't been able to eat anything, had vomitted up everything I had eaten, and could barely even hold down liquids, so I assume my body was running on reserve the whole time, fighting off the disease and repairing the damage etc. and I guess in doing so it went at my fat reserves. So basically I need a way to gain weight, fast. Can anyone advise any kind of diet, or suppliments, or anything I can do to achieve that?
  14. They watch us, you know. Those who had no choice--the victims of the Holocaust, of the slavers, of the Inquisition, of disease, famine, fire, flood and of every unspeakable torture, injustice and horror devised by man or nature--they watch us driving around in our shiny cars wearing our nice new clothes and talking on our cellphones, eating our Oreos, corn dogs and croissants, watching "Deal Or No Deal" on our color TVs and resting our unbroken bodies in soft, warm beds every night. Those who had no choice--they hear us complain about our lovers jilting us, about our families not understanding who we are, about the fact that we don't have enough friends or money or sex or fun to make life worth living. They see us cry that these problems are surely endless and unendurable, and that we wish we were dead. What do they think of us? What would they give to be in our shoes? Should we feel ashamed?
  15. well...alright, im going to tell you something i havnt discussed with anyone before. over christmas break i might say somthing to my parents and maybe get to a doctor or something. i just want to ask all of you this because this is something im really scared of. alright...the thing is, i think there is a possibility i might have heart disease or something like that. i'll tell you why i think this then you can tell me what you think. first off, let me start by teling you i used to be REAL active in all kinds of sports like football and baseball. and in those sports i ran my off and i had to do a lot of running to the point i couldnt run anymore. when i got to highschool, i picked up golf and tennis. golf required very little running, but tennis required some. well...i could do the conditioning alright, i got really out of breath really quick and i was dying most of the time. then i graduated and didnt have any sports or anything for awhile. now im in college and i just feel like there's something up with my heart or w/e. like, i walk up stairs, maybe 4-5 floors worth in my hall and im breathing REALLY hard and my heart is racing like a million miles an hour. and when i lay down at night, i sometimes feel like i have a slight shortness of breath. another thing, its like i cant eat nearly as much as i once was able to, i just feel slower and like i have less energy sometimes. i get heartburn from time to time, most times after i eat penn station or something. i dont know, there is probably more but right now i just want some feedback on what you guys think. i really want to think im just really out of shape for the first time in my life and ive never experieced what it's like to actually not be as active. but sometimes i really dont know. im so scared to talk about it to anyone. also know that to my knowledge there is no family traces of heart disease or anything. but my dad does have high blood pressure the past few months. the last time i had a physical they took my blood pressure and listened to my heart and i guess it was all ok, because they didnt write any "abnormal findings" and let me play. i mean, is heart disease something that a doctor could be tiped off about by listening to the rythum of my heart beats? just please, someone who might know something please help me out here, ive been really scared about this for a long time now. about a year or so maybe... any help is appreciated, thank you!
  16. I'm currently living with my mom (for valid reasons) and ever since we moved out of the apartment 7 years ago. She's collected more and more stuff throughout the years. We can't even have people over at our house because of all of her stuff. Heck, we can't even walk around anywhere without tripping over things. Her mom does the same thing, except for when she does it, she is a packrat in other states (usually where she stays at one of her daughter's houses) Whenever I tell my mom that she has too much stuff in the house, she gets mad at me. Is being a packrat a mental "disease"?
  17. Has anyone had or suffered from Pelvic Inflammatory Disease because I think I may have it and am really worried.
  18. hey, I started going out with this new girl a few days ago. I kissed her and since then i've had 4-5 blisters in my mouth and the skin on the side front part of my gum started bleeding. Does anyone know by any chance if i've cought a disease? Permanent or not? And what it would be called?
  19. Ok... I'll just start from the beginning. I'm 17 years old, and I've been in a relationship with "Joe" for 10 months. Joe is 22... and it doesn't even appear that big of an age difference to me. At any case, we have a lot of issues with drinking. For the first three months of our relationship, I was very happy and I had a lot of fun. We would drink together and I trusted him with all my heart. From that point its went all down hill. Its like he doesnt want me involved with that part of his life any more. Sorta like he's trying to hide something.... him drinking or the fact that he has a problem. Joe will go get a case of beer while I'm at work.. or just tell me he's with his dad, and by the time I get there, he's 3 sheets to the wind. He tries to blame this on me. He says I don't look at things the same way he does, and that its because I'm only 17 that I dont understand. I want to be with him for the rest of my life... there's not a minute in the day that goes past that he doesn't cross my mind. Joe has a problem- simply put. Honestly, maybe I'm wrong, but anyone who drinks at least 3 days a week is an alcoholic. And if he's not, he is well on his way. I just want to be happy. Tonight he said he was mowing his grass... I once again let my guard down and didnt have a problem in the world with him doing so. At 6:30 he calls and says he done and that he's coming to pick me up. I could tell by the tone in his voice that he had been drinking... pritty heavily. But beyond my best judgement, I went with him. Within two hours, he was passing out on the couch. What am I supposed to do? Its like 40 degrees outside, and I'm about 3 miles away from my house with no vehicle except his. I finally get him up... and we start arguing over the keys... one thing lead to another and he elbowed me in the face. This is the first time he's ever gotten physical to me. I am not forgiving him for this.. but I dont want to leave him. I almost feel like I've convinced myself that he has a problem. He has a disease, and I think it is wrong for me to leave him in his time of need. My cheek bone is alittle sore- nothing much. But its not only that. When he drinks, he gets emotionally abusive. He tells me I'm acting like "Kimmy"... she's his exgirlfriend. They were together for 2 years, and she was a complete nut. Tonight I lost my temper, I really did... Once he got physical towards me, I got crazy.. I said things I didnt mean, and I just dont know what to do.. I have no clue what to do... I dont know if I should run the other way? Try to talk to him about it AGAIN? Give each other some time... Please any form of advice would help. I just want to be happy again, and to be quite honest.. I dont think I could "leave him" without being harmed?
  20. When you see a train off in the distance hurling towards you, why do you wait on the tracks? When you feel depression taking over your life, why doesn't one do whatever they can to stop it? Often times in my life I've seen negative things potentially coming. Instead of doing everything and anything I could to rectify the problems, I started to worry. Worry turns to regret, regret turns to despair, and soon you start thinking of why you are even alive. Some events in life are instantly traumatic and may cause suicidal behavior. The loss of a loved one, extreme embarrassment, going to prison, getting a terminal disease, etc. But for the most part, it seems that depression is a slow and methodical occurrence. You break up with you girlfriend/boyfriend and you're sad. Sadness turns to laziness, you stop taking care of yourself, stop working/studying hard, stop doing what is fun, and the pain just snowballs. It's like you suddenly feel comforted by pain, the more the better! What can I do to make myself feel worse? Crazy thoughts arise...if I could only take one pill or push one button and end it all, if only it were that easy...if I could blink and die, how fast would my eyes close? You should welcome depression as a challenge, as a sign that you're not doing everything you can to thrive. Sometimes your thoughts are so overwhelming you just don't care. I've never had a real relationship, I don't have any friends, I don't have a job or my job sucks, I'm ugly, I'm fat, I have a disease, I'm a criminal, I'm a drug addict, I'm stupid, I'm insane, I'm not normal, I'm worthless -- why am I, at all? However, there is always something out there. Something that makes you smile. Something that gives you hope. Even a year with 9-months of winter darkness has 3-months of sunshine. There's light out there. You have to realize, you have to embrace that there is NO alternative. There is no reason not to eat healthy, to work hard, to grow, to learn, to improve your social skills, to evolve spiritually, to break through the chaos and live a life worth living. It is never too late, it's never too soon. It's all about now. Suicide is never the answer, because there is a greater reward for those who live honorable lifes. Everyone has felt the way you have. It's all about choice. Keep in mind, that 75% of the world, billions of people, would gladly trade places with you any time. Even in your lowest point in life, you are lucky. You have more than a chance, success and happiness are inevitable if you just open your mind to it.
  21. Alright...So I dont have a disease or STI/STD or anything, but i was curious about 1 thing... On the bottom side of my penis, there are many many small bumps, which might be mistaken for warts, or something, but to me they just look like spots where hair grows out... They run most of the way to the tip, but lessen as they go farther. Im not sure If they are something that some guys have, and others have more of, or if somethings wrong lol, so im not too too concerned, but id like to know if anyone else has them...
  22. Well, I got back with my ex, and we're still together. This was a VERY stupid mistake, but I just don't have it in me to deny her. I love her with all my being, and despite the horrible pain I've felt over her and the hate that still dwells deep within, I can't get over how I feel for her. After dedicating my every waking moment to loving her, it still wasn't enough for her and she had to leave me for him. Now she's back, and she can't deny that he was better at sex than I'll ever be. Just the fact that she had sex with him is more than I can live with, as there was nothing I wanted more out of life than to be everything she could have ever needed. Even giving full effort it wasn't enough, and it never will be. I know getting back with her was a mistake, and that until I made that stupid mistake I was getting better. Still, even when I battled the depression, I lived in constant fear of seeing her with him. No amount of time ever kills how I feel about her, no perspective. The only thing I can accomplish is a way to kill the time without her, but the hole is still there. Rebounds don't even work for me simply because I don't have any desire for anyone else. The pain of knowing that I'm inadequate for her is more than I can bare. Please stop me from doing this. Tell me there's a way I can become more attractive, have a porn star penis, and pleasure her like no one else. Tell me things will get better and that in time I can be with her and forget all that she has done. Tell me that she loves me, and that we can have the happily ever after I woke up for every day for three years straight. Tell me these things, then tell me they are honestly true. If you can't do that, then I can't give you a good reason for me to continue suffering like this.
  23. Hi everyone, Whilst searching for tips on oral sex, I stumbled upon an article stating oral sex can lead to an increase in mouth cancer and cancer of the Cervix in both men and women. Wanting to find out more, I googled oral sex + cancer and a whole load of info came up stating that studies show an increase risk. Does anyone know much about this and wether it is concrete evidence. It is a worry that this could lead to diseases such as cancer. What does everyone else think ?