Cyberstalking

11flower

No, it is really more disruptive than that. Cyberstalking is when you track someone on line and constantly harass them.

Stalkers keep contacting someone via IM or email, even creating new accounts once the victim blocks their old ones. They may threaten the victim or become obsessed with them. They try to find out where the person lives, their phone number, their friends names, etc. Its the same as stalking in real life except the suspect uses the computer to accomplish it.

Ask anyone who's ever been affected by it. It's a very unpleasant situation.

Yes and in today's instant search it is easy to do.. Too easy, and you can get caught up in it before you realize it. I don't think i've ever stalked, but have borderlined at times. Putting pieces together trying to figure out something abour someone. People who tend to be obsessive about things tend to lend themselves towards this more. People who are very insecure.

Yes, Dreamweaver,

I've been tempted myself to do this. I'm not, however, as insecure as others I know, but slightly obsessive. I do know better and actually wouldn't want to even do this sort of thing; rather sick, wouldn't you say?

Wow. Pretty criminal actually to do this.

11Flower

I think it's pretty creepy to stalk someone online. Why bother? If a person doesn't want to talk/ chat with you, why would you still pursue it?

I once had a guy who managed to get my private e-mail (don't know how either, I only give it to my closest friends/ family), who stalked me constantly on MSN, used several different e-mail accounts and kept trying to add me to his list, sent several e-mails a day, asked me for all kinds of personal information, sent crude sexual photos of himself, said sexual things, etc. It creeped me out to the point that I was worried that he was going to track me down somehow and show up at my front door.

PLEASE don't be that person - it scared the hell out of me after a while and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's against the law for a reason: it creates fear in the person who is stalked and makes them feel uneasy all the time.

Nope, I'm not interested in doing that. I haven't done this. That's not what I'm saying. That's just criminal.

I was wondering and so I stumbled upon it when googling. Going as far as what happened to you and Cynder just is sick. Not into that, OceanEyes.

eechk.

11Flower

Okay, OE, no problem, really. As I told Dreamweaverdude (hey there Dreamweaver), it was tempting for me in one aspect. But I wouldn't even know how to do it and don't want to learn and wouldn't go about it as the sick0s both you and Cynder have had to deal with.

This same guy was trying to get my phone and address and we were hesitant at first to give it to him. We then got these calls asking just the right questions, like verifying my real first name which he hadn't been told yet.

One time during conversations via internet, it sounded he made a threat such as, "...then I would be about something and you couldn't catch me."

We had a funny feeling about giving him our numbers in the first place. This sounded to me like a direct-indirect threat.

We still never know, but my guess is he won't do anything..but he could.

Besides, hey I'm into self-defense. It's good to be on the lookout all the time, not paranoid, just alert. That's the best self-defense measure anyone can take.

Anyway, thank you all for answering and for any further replies if you do.

11flower

Actually I did go to the police. The guy doing this was my ex bf's psycho best friend, so I had some info for the cops as far as how they could get ahold of him. The oficer I spoke to called him from right tthere in his office. The next day after the phonecall here is what I saw:

This guy seems to think he is above the law... But when the cops came knocking at his door it all ended really quick.

OMG Cynder,

That's rediculously stupid and outrageous. You don't sound very scared and that's good. I'm glad you followed up on that. I think much of what these people try to do is just scare you. Yet, even if your life were threatened, getting scared or panicking of course does nothing. So it ended when the cops came to his door. LOL

It's the injustice of it that gets me. I have to work on my aggressive streak because when I see this sort of thing I want to string the person up and laugh. I know...I have to work on that.

11Flower

Well this happened in May 2003, it's over and done with now. The examples are pulled from the archives in my online journal. But when it happened I was scared. I refused to let him know how scared I was because it would just encourage him. Obviously this dope's bark was bigger than his bite, because I haven't heard from him since.