It's Just too much for me to handle, I'm gunna break!

OK, i've been working as a cook in a nice restaurant about 20 minitues away by car (1 hour by bus ). And basically, I detest it! here's the kicker, my cousin is the sous chef!

It is really a lot of trouble, i mean it's a pretty long commute to do and since im a Prep cook, that means i hafta get up early to start at 8:00. One of the other sous chefs hates me! He says stuff like "why don't you work faster, like the other guys" but I am the youngest by about 4 years, and they have all gone to cooking school, and get 4 bucks more an hour than me! Why should I have to work at their speed? I work as fast as possible without hurting myself, and i have burned myself and stuff.

The shifts are 8.5 hours, and you actually work 8 of them if your allowed to take that half our break! I've worked 8.5 hours several times. IM 17 if i dont eat, i feel like complete crap! !! I get 2 dollars more an hour than my friends all get, but it just isn't worth all the stress of that kitchen! I mean, it's hell, too hot, you only get breaks if you smoke. I mean, I don't even wana be a chef, I just wanted $$, and didn't know it'd be this bad. I can't take it anymore, and they already scedualed me for the winter break! I just wana snowboard, and hang out with friends, not work in a kitchen for a little more than minimum wage with no food .

Now I know it's illegal about the break stuff, your supposed to get 1 hour of paid breaks in an 8 hour shift. But, my cousin creates a huge issue. I can't do ANYTHING because of the fact that I can't do anything to hurt her reputation, or our relationship. As well, I can't just up and leave, cause I really really think that if my next employer can't call them cause of a bad quiting job on my part, it'll hurt my chances. So..

HOW DO I QUIT WITHOUT LOOKING LIKE A JERK AND HURTING MY COUSIN IN ANY WAY? it took me 2 hours to fall asleep last night stressing about this terrible job. I mean, I asked to work 3 days a week in the summer, and found myself working 8 cause these people are jerks.

I HATE IT!!! I know that other people have crappy jobs, but this isn't to make a living, it's for pocket money! I don't need this in my life, it's hurting me SOO bad

Jimbo,

since the other chefs complain about your slowness...you have a perfect opportunity to say that you feel you are doing them a disservice, that this really isn't the job for you and you feel it would be best if you looked for something else. However, make sure you give two weeks notice, don't just up and quit...and keep to your best efforts even during that time...

if you aren't cut out for it you aren't cut out for it...that isn't your fault and it won't be a relection on your cousin.

Didn't you just say that you earned $2 more than your friends an hour? Your friends must be earning minimum wage, not you. But anyway, it sounds like you don't like the job in general so simply find a new one. You need to just have a private talk with your cousin about quitting the job. I know how hard it is. I worked as a seasonal technician at an amusement park last summer and it was hard telling my boss that I was going to quit. Yes, she is probably not going to like it and you may look like a jerk, but what's more important is that you place yourself in a good work environment. This place certainly doesn't seem to be your idea of a good environment so just leave. There are always other opportunities out there. You may want to search for another job before quitting the current one if you really need money.

About the breaks thing: not sure how different the laws are at your state, but last I heard you are supposed to be able to have one break for every eight hours you work. However, that break does not have to be paid. I clearly remember not getting paid for my breaks when I used to work at a movie theatre. But they did have to offer them to me if I was working eight hours or more during that day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I worked in restaurants for several years. Overall, it's one of the worst industries to work in - the pay is usually low, the hours are insane, hardly anyone qualifies for benefits.

My advice is to put your notice in, and also tell them that for your remaining two weeks, you can only work a specified amount of hours.