I think I may be depressed...

I think I may be depressed but I am to scared to go see my doctor about it. I feel so numb. I don't feel sad and I can't remember ever being happy. I work nightshift so I sleep my whole day away and when I get up it's basically time to go to work again. I have no energy to do anything. And people are always saying to me 'Smile'. And I always replie with "I have nothing to smile about". It's not as if i'm going to kill myself. I just hate being this way. I hate feeling as if I have no control over myself.

anyways I just needed to get out how I am feeling.

cassandra

I can totally relate to how you feel. I was diagnosed with clinical depression at 15 and am now 22 (and still surviving!!). Please don't feel as if you can't go to your Doctor...in fact GO to your Doctor and start getting the help you need now before this takes over your life. Being proactive and fighting your depression by getting the appropriate help (way too hard to do it alone) with make you feel good about yourself...as if you are doing something to care for YOU.

Is there anyway you can change shifts? I have read that shift work...especially the nightshift can be quite trying physically and emotionally. It might be better for you to find something where you can work normal hours and be awake during the day and then sleep at night.

duchesstigerlily

Is there anyway you can change shifts? I have read that shift work...especially the nightshift can be quite trying physically and emotionally. It might be better for you to find something where you can work normal hours and be awake during the day and then sleep at night.

I don't think it is the night shift I have felt like this scince High School. I left school in 2000. Things went a bit down hill and then I got a job I was okay. Not happy but coping with everything. Just over the last couple of months I've started feeling like I do now.

But thanks for you in put. I appreciate it.

cassandra

You don't have to be scared to tell your doctor about it. There is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. Your doctor is not there to judge you. He or she is there to help you feel better. They see this all the time so it will not surprise them.

Go ahead and talk to your doctor about how you are feeling. Then your doctor can determine whether you are showing signs of depression, stress, or whether you have a physical health issue that is causing your lack of energy.

I was diagnosed with depression a month ago. It took a lot of bottle to accept i needed to see the doc. But when i went he was really sympathetic and understanding. There is no shame in going to the doc about this.

One thing i would advise is caution if they prescribe you anti depressants - ask your doc a lot of questions about these before you decide to go on them.

You know the best thing i found to clearing my head is exercise - be it as little as taking the dog for a run (not a walk). The release of endorphins really lifts you.

The other important thing to do is talk thro your concerns with people close to you - you'll probably find they have all had some experience of depression in their lives.