What is it with Men?

cassandra

Okay tonight a work we had a lady visit. The boss took her for a tour around our department. Any way most of the guys started making rude and degrading comments about how she looked, and how they wish there were more "chicks" around like her. She was standing with two of the boys (they were meant to be showing her what they do) the they started saying "Oh man it is so hot in here". She asked what the joke was about I'm not sure what they said. And I said to one of the girls I work with don't they realise that it can be classed as harrasment. Then we got a new girl who started tonight and they started saying things about her appearance. Particularly from one guy. And like I said to my work mate "this coming from a guy who is 30yrs old, who hasn't had a girlfriend or been on a date in 7 years".

Why is it that men carry on like this?. I'm not saying that all men do but what gives them the right to pass judgement on women based on apperances?

*cassandra*

I admit that I will sometimes base my initial judgement of a woman by her looks and I have been trying to change that. I am not sure what's wrong with those guys but yeah I would say that that comment was pretty close to, if not, is sexual harassment. My mom has been in a somewhat similar situation at her work place so you're not the only one.

Maybe they are just disappointed, maybe they hope someone good looking is going to show up for work and drop her pen or something.

Honestly, I am looking forward meeting new co-workerette. I'm curious as to how hot they are going to be. This being said, I think it's only natural.

I think you would react the same way if some new guy came to work in your place. You would be curious as to what he would be like, look like.

The comments are obviously out of place however. You are right, this could be considered sexual harassment.

etienne

It could be sexual harassment if someone (you) perhaps is offended or hurt in some way. It's highly unprofessional. My guess is this is some kind of blue collar environment, or a shop like a print or autobody shop that doesn't see many clients.

Where I work now, nobody talks about who is hot. They keep it to themselves. Conversely, where I used to work (before my degree) everyone, men and women, were highly sexualized pigs. There were hotties coming in and out all the time to charge them up. There was no effort or attempt made to mask it. In one department that was mostly women they had calendars of nearly nude men. In another mostly male department were calendars of pinup chicks. Eventually somebody complained and the pictures came down, but the behavior continued. Sexual harassment claims were made and punished according to some criteria I never understood because they were not consistent.

If the men you work with are like the men I used to work with, they mean nothing by their offhand comments. It is more funny than anything, sort of a way to soothe the painful boredom--a huge joke on themselves. That doesn't make it less offensive, I guess. It's also true that occasionally there is the creepy guy who takes EVERYTHING too seriously, but that's another story, really.

I think you would react the same way if some new guy came to work in your place. You would be curious as to what he would be like, look like.

I wouldn't react the way the guys did last night. I might think to myself he's cute. But I would never make degrading or inappropriate remarks about them.

Some guys are just shallow, were not all like that though! You are right, it can be classed as harassment, and if these guys continue to make these degrading comments then you may want to consider reporting it to a superior.

Abcd your right not all guys are shallow and I didn't say that. As for reporting it to a superior, well I've been a victim of harassment in the work place and nothing seems to get done about it. It seems that in our workplace alot of the guys can get away with anything.

*cassandra*

If you think that nothing is or will be done about it by superiors then im sure there will be a higher authority in your local area that can deal with it properly. I dont know what type of company it is that you work in but is there a department or person that deals with internal problems, or is it a smaller business?

I think if anyone should complain it should be the person receiving the "attention". Its their problem and maybe you can talk to them about it and ask them if they want to report it but if you go straight to the boss without consulting them first and say "I think those guys are harassing the new girl" then you won't achieve anything and you are only going to get the B.I.T.C.H. label.

I'm not saying its right, I'm just saying talk to the girl first and let her deal with it or help her deal with it.

If she doesn't seem to mind it too much then I would just get on with my own business. Don't get too worked up about it unless it is harmful.

I once had a co-worker who had a Shania Twain screen saver on hios computer , nothing rude, fully clothed. Anyway, he had to remove it because one of the female workers considered it sexual harassment. Isn't that going a little bit over the top?

What I'm saying is that if she seems to be bothered by this then go talk to her and together go find someone to report it to who will make it stop.

I think if anyone should complain it should be the person receiving the "attention". Its their problem and maybe you can talk to them about it and ask them if they want to report it but if you go straight to the boss without consulting them first and say "I think those guys are harassing the new girl" then you won't achieve anything and you are only going to get the B.I.T.C.H. label.

Amen to that.

Etienne

Confession time! Where I work it is mostly females & when we get new men in our department some of us get like this also. Just not as obvious about it. We recently got 3 new guys in our department (very rare!) & I think almost everyone has picked out her favorite. I refer to mine as my eye candy. I do not openly sexually harass him or make comments though. (But I have to admit that I can;t help but look whenever he gets up - he's got a really nice butt!)