Am I just jealous?

Hi!

A group of new people started at my work about 8 months ago and they're great. The thing is, when we are working some of them continually ask me how to do things and I'll tell them or show them. So they do it and get praised for it. This is a continuous thing and I've been fine with it until promotions were being brought up. I'd love the job but if I don't get it on my own merits I"m fine with that. The thing is they're names are strong runners for getting the position because of how they've handled the situations I've helped them out with. I feel like I'm being a jealous jelly and I think I just wanted to get this out more than anything. Sorry!

Betty!

Man that is the worst. I have had this happen to me as well. It makes you not want to help anybody. You would figure they would be like "yeah so and so helped me come to this". Usually they don't. It is a jealousy thing. However you also have to look at if you have what it takes to get the promotion. Some characteristics stand out. For example...out of 50 workers...the manager pulled me aside and suggested I should start preparing for a bigger role at the company. Why did he pick me over the others, even the current supervisors? I thought mainly cause i'm loud and obnoxious...but it was because of the way I motivated my other workers, stayed unfaultered under pressure, made sure what ever had to get done got done. Yet I treated my supervisor like crap, and cursed out my manager. I just stood out as an employee...I was the go to guy for supervisors if they needed something done effectively and efficiently they knew they can count on me. However I did this without brown nosing.

On another job...I was only there for a month and I was bumped above everybody..some there for 2 years. I was bumped because it was clear I worked hard and worked until I did what needed to be done, I stayed on top of everything in the office and I fixed everyone's mistakes. While the others didn't show all that much interest in their job. End result to that one wasn't so pretty...they all cut my throat every day. They were really dirtbag type people who I worked with. To give you an idea...our boss gave them his own $40,000 to get back and forth to work...first day they had an accident with it...2 weeks later they totalled it. They acted like it was no big deal...not a care in the world that it just cost our boss a $40,000 car out of his own pocket. Real pieces of crap.

Anyway...if you get passed over...then it comes down to your boss not thinking that your performance is effective. If you stuck out like a shining star, then you would have nothing to worry about. The fact that you wonder about this, kinds of says to me that maybe you feel you are not the best one for the promotion even if you taught everyone else.

Good Luck

DBL

Hi there,

I know how you feel because this has happened to me as well.

The last job I had I sometimes trained the new people. My friend started working there and about a year later she was promoted above me. I was so hurt and upset that I talked to our boss.. he said that she "needed' the promotion because she was a newly wed.. duh.. I was a newly wed too.. what a lame excuse. What I did was that went back to college and got myself a degree and got out of there.

I later found out that she was having an affair with the manager--something that would never cross my mind.

It's ok to be hurt about this. I think it happens alot at the workplace. Try being more assertive at work. It will help your bosses to notice you more and get the other employees to stop taking advantage of you

Good luck

Wow! Thanks to both of you for replying and helping me to see that I'm being a little self centered here. I never really thought if I could handle the job I guess. More so that I'd love it and the other people who I were helping were getting the praise for my work essentially. I've been told time and time again that I was great when I fill in for the higher job and I know that sounds like I'm praising myself and perhaps it is. It's a customer service position and I'm great with people, always trying to help them even if it's above and beyond my position. I'm outgoing also and I guess I might have become the one they're comfortable with to do things and not expect any returns on them. In a way that's true. I guess I can only do my best and see what happens. No matter what I won't stop helping my workmates though...it's not just for them but it reflects on the company as well if things aren't done properly. I love where I work and I guess that's the main thing.

Thanks again!

Betty!