The eternal question

First post ... here goes.

I, Like many other people, are asking the eteral question of what do I want to do with my life.

Background information:

I'm 22, and I have already graduated from college (Network Technician) and I have a job. My problem is that my education wasn't very specialized, so I know a little about everything, but I specialize in nothing.

Problem:

So, in order to be more successful, I would need to focus on an area in computers. But the more I think about what to specialize in, the more I think about how I don't like being in the IT industry. It's way too competitive.

I've been throwing around some ideas in my head, and here are my options so far:

University for three years for economics (continue to rack up my education debt)

Spend more hours studying something I really don't like.

Learn a trade (although, manual labour and I have never been on the best terms. However, trades seem to be in demand these days.)

It's a really difficult decision. I already got it wrong once, I don't want to make another mistake.

I feel like that guy in 'Office Space'. If I had a million dollars, I would do nothing. I wouldn't work, and I would just live a simple life taking care of myself and trying to have some fun.

Any thoughts? Anybody going through a similar problem in their life?

Yea it's called the quarter life Crisis. I know your pain, feeling lost and disillusioned. Life's supose to make sense, your supose to be in a good job when your done school. Supose to be rich and liven the high life right? Well unfortunately that just isn't the truth.

Most people are stuck in dead end jobs they don't like and making far less they they want or deserve. So what can you do about that? Give up? accept medioacracy? well those are options, probably not the ones you wanted eh?

If your not happy doing what you are you have to make a choice. 1. Stick it out and work for the $$ accepting your that your work life exist to support your other life.

2. Go back to school risk a lot of $ for another carrerr path.

3. go travel the world, try and find yourself (WEll this is what I did)

Anyways, my point is. If you feel stuck in a rut, then get out of the rut by any means possible. You have to live the rest of your life, do you want to hate it? I didn't think so. it's hard accepting the fact you will probably never be rich but that does't mean you can't have a full and rewarding life.

Take a look at the "Rich people" in the world, how many of them are truly happy and satisfied with their lives? keep that in mind the next time you put 60% of your pay check to bills and debt.

Congrats on your degree!

I know exactly how you feel! Thank god I'm in grad school and have a few more years until I have to get a real job!

First, why don't you make a list of all the things you DON'T want to do. There's also lots of online personality tests that suggest what type of job is best for you. You don't have to go with that, but it's a list of suggestions. I'd talk to someone in your department office and see if they have a list of other people in your major that graduated a few years ago and perhaps you can contact them to see what kind of job they have and how they like it.

Now sounds like a really good time to take a backpacking trip to somewhere exotic and try to "find yourself." After seeing the world, and meeting lots of different and interesting people, you'll probably get to know yourself better and what will make you happy

Excellent advice Crookster_man. I couldn't have said it any better!

I feel jaded sometimes too. Especially with the economy not doing so well, I start to lose hope. After taking all of these tough science classes, sometimes, I just want to give up. No doubt, I work hard for my grades. Some nights, I only get 2 hours of sleep. Then the next day, I'm stuck in a lab, trying to mush all of these projects together. It just feels so endless. So, I do know how you feel. But, just think of your efforts as a long-term investment.

Whatever you do, find something that you're passionate about, as a side hobby. I can't think of anything else other than what Crookster_man said. Good luck to all of us! Btw, a vacation does sound quite tempting. My mom wants to send me to Calcutta, India, just so that I realize that I have it much better than most people. I guess that's true. I had an experience where I traveled and met these orphans. They truly opened my eyes, and also helped me to find even more determination in my life. But, a vacation in the tropics sounds nice too! 8)

I traveled to Europe and lived in Scotland, then I moved to Eygpt man that was an experience. Living in a completely foreign and alien culture! Opened my eyes to the decadence and exess of our western world. I'm a lot better person for the experience. I didn't find all the answer to my questions but I'm on a far more concrete path now.

Traveling the world isn't for everyone, but trust me it will definatly change you for the better.

So let's see, according to crookster_man my options are

1. Stick it out and work for the $$ accepting your that your work life exist to support your other life.

Sounds quite life-sucking. Well it's not that bad, judging from my last performance review. My boss mentioned how I was probably the best hire of the year and he wants to see me get into the development side of the programming department.

2. Go back to school risk a lot of $ for another carrerr path.

I am leaning towards going back to school, but I don't want to be a full-time student for 3 or 4 years (especially since I'll be 4 or 5 years older than most of the people in my classes). It's a big decision.

3. go travel the world, try and find yourself (WEll this is what I did)

I don't think this is for me. I don't really have the financial freedom to just pack up and travel.

So, in short, it's a chrisis.

The computer industry sucks. I'm in it and I hate it. I won't stay in it. I don't have degress like you do, but I do have a background.

I'm getting out and changing to a trade myself.

Office Space was a great movie...I may have to get myself hypnotized liked that.

DBL

Well that wasn't an exuastive list of choices for you Victor. Just a few that you mentioned and I re-worded plus the travel (It was a lot of fun but very challenging to do).

You are at a crisis point. It sucks going to a life draining job. I don't really enjoy mine either but it's a means to an end. I hope that I will be able to get some advancements soon. Something that uses my skills Not dull them