Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

I am Looking For A Good Book to Inspire Me

VeryShyGuy

Hey man I have a good book I'd recommend, it's not a story book it's more of a self esteem book. It's called "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyways" by Susan Jeffers. This book is great dude, I read it when I was in need of a change myself and slowly I have been making changes. It deffinetly puts life in perspective in a way that you can really relate to it. It's a very easy book to read only like 200 pages fairly normal size print. It has little excercises that you can do to help improve your selfesteem. But it's deffinetly a great book I would recommend it to anyone who wants to change their life and feels stuck. Good luck bro.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe this book might do...

Extract from Keeping The Faith

Fighting back that once with such anger made the Shire Middle School decide to move me to another school. A couple of months after the fight I moved into Hurdling School. I knew there would be more bullies like Gary and Keith. What got me distracted from the bullies for a while is my new friends. I met some Yemeni friends and their parents would come and visit my mother and father. That’s how I got to meet Waqas, Saleem and Sudqi. There were other Yemeni youths I made friends with but they really didn’t play a major part in my life than these three. When I met these three Yemeni guys, I wasn’t seen much especially in the house and my father didn’t complain about it either nor my mother.

link removed

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To add to the list...

actually, I wonder how the orignial poster got on with choosing and reading a book? The alchemist came travelling with me and gave me advice when I needed it - it`s more like a portable monk than a book because it tells you something different each time lol

Along the lines of Les Miserables (which, apart from the difficult part fits the criteria), I would recommend:

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay, if you haven`t already read it. It`s about a white boy growing up in South Africa, learning through the black people who nurture him, other various amazing and rotten people that enter his life , what it feels to live among racism. It traces his growth from childhood as he lives through tragedy, challenge, anger, friendship and wins respect. The book wrenched up a myriad of emotions like no other, and you find yourself experiencing, not reading.

• 1 month later...

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. It's a "murder mystery" written from the perspective of a 15 year old autistic boy. Kind of like Hemmingway meets Holden Caulfield in terms of how it's written. It's not necessarily as "deep" or "life-changing" as some of the books suggested here, but it is about over-coming challenges in life, regardless of what people say you can and can't do. I was inspired.

I also heard it's being made into a movie!

"The Kite Runner"

1) Inspiring:

- a book about a boy who puts a friendship before all else and makes a great sacrifice it

- a book about his friend who goes to great lengths to repay that sacrifice many years later

- a book about fathers and sons

2) Fascinating read about Afghanistan and it's culture before war ripped it apart

In technical terms: unputdownable!

link removed

that is one of my favorite books of ALL time!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just read a great book -- it's really different. Often when scientists try to write, they come off a little too earnest -- a style I believe is called "populist." It's easy for them to slip into being hokey, but this guy makes it all palatable. He can't actually write, but no one's told him that, and he is a great conversationalist. The book is called We Are Not Afraid, by Homer Hickam. It's not a great book because he's a great writer; it's a great book because he led a great life.

• 3 weeks later...

hi ho,

just wanted to say that following some recommendations fromt this forum i read the five people you meet in heaven. im giving it 6.5 out of 10.

my review: if you are unsure about the afterlife, or the meaning of life, then it`s a pretty great read adn will provide you with another way of seeing how life works. if you`re already pretty happy about those things then the book is very average.

sorry if you love the book...just adding an honest opinion

heyho.

The Diving Bell and The Butterfly recommended here. Wow. That`s a one-of-a-kind book. 5 for content, but an overall 8.5 just because, when are you ever going to hear from someone who`s basically totally paralysed who can tell you their thoughts? He sounds like a courageous man.

Along a similar vein is `My Life` by Marc Chagall. You get to see into the odd and romantic mind of a personable artist. Nice short read.

• 2 years later...

THE WINNER STANDS ALONE is a masterpiece: it talks about values lost and never found again. It looks like a thriller, but it is not - the characters are trapped and manipulated by the people Coelho calls "The Superclass". Once more Coelho made it. And I also believe Coelho is one of the few writers that are always exploring unknown seas, instead of repeating the same plot over and over again. Kudos to him.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm reading a book right now called: "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" Its by Mitch Albom. The book is about a person who thought they led an insignificant, and ordinary life on earth, and then he meets five people in heaven who show him that he did indeed lead a significant life...etc. So far, I like it, It is definitely thought provoking.

I liked this one as well. Also "A Separate Peace " by John Knowles.

• 3 weeks later...

The Shack, by William Paul Young. I know it's a book about God, but it is truly an amazing discussion on love and on the nature of human life. I'm not religious, but I found it to be an incredibly inspiration book that really strikes a chord deeply in my sense of humanity and the way the world should work.

• 2 months later...

The Magus - John Fowles. Long book but if it's your style, it will keep you in. Everyone agrees first read is hypnotising. It actually changed my life, it inspired me to turn 180degree some of my decisions. Basically I was sad to see how it ended, and it inspired me to turn things on their head and go against the grain, against myself at times, to see how it is 'on the other side'.