Can depression cause insomnia and other problems?

Well for awhile now i have been not able to get any sleep like every night especially school nights.Instead of going to sleep i just stay up and think about whats going in life and try to think about things.Like i listen to music and look up things on people problems with women and just try too watch life.I just cant seem to fall asleep cause i either feel to sad or i want to investigate life deeper.So i end up getting about 3-4 hours of sleep every night and just cant fall asleep.Like with eating too i have been usually having bad eating habits.I usually eat 1-2 times a day like during school at 12 then not until the next night at like 10:30.Sometimes i dont eat the whole day until like 10 o clock after work because i sometimes dont feel like eating.This might be kind of bad concerning the fact that i am about 6ft 130 pounds

Yes, depression can cause insomnia. Actually, the symptoms of depression include a change in sleep patterns as well as a change in eating habits. If you think you might be depressed, you should do what you can to see a therapist. Even someone who is not depressed can benefit from psychologist visits.

Absolutely. What you describe are symptoms of depression. I've been depressed before, mainly because of circumstances, and I've lost sleep because my mind won't stop ticking over and I lose my appetite, which for me, is not a good thing either because I'm rather slim.

Do you feel depressed because of circumstances in your life, or could it be clinical?

I would suggest you speak to your doctor and even consider seeing a counsellor or speak to a friend or family member who will be understanding. There are also copious amounts of self-help books that can help you see things objectively. If you do decide to see a counsellor, please make sure to be open and honest....trust me, it works wonders and is very cathartic to get everything off your chest.

Depression is extremely common and it can be managed very effectively, as long as you are willing to help yourself. Now is the time to be your own best friend.

All the best

I would recommend that you go see a school therapist and see what they have to say. You don't have to tell your parents you are going, if you don't want them to know of if you think they might be unsupportive. Depression is a medical condition that affects people of all ages, and it is not your "fault" that you fell this way. You do not have to feel this way and there is help. It took me a long time to admit that it was more than just feeling sad, and it took me even longer to actively seek help and accept that just like a physical injury, it was not something I could "fix" myself. Good luck and keep in touch my friend.