My ex who is 16 and pregnant but continues to smoke cigarettes.

Her weak excuses include "I smoke 6 milligram cigarettes instead of 12 milligrams like I used to"

"1 pack lasts me 2-3 days now, that's how far I've cut back"

and my personal favourite "Smoking when pregnant can only lead to low birth weight or asthma", yeah, RIGHT!

She is 3 months pregnant by the way. I just don't like how selfish she's being saying "It's too hard to quit altogether.."

If I were pregnant I'd quit smoking altogether for the good of the unborn child! So to those that know, what else can happen to the baby if the mother continues to smoke during pregnancy? I WANT her to stop this selfish BS behaviour!

My cousin smoked like a chimney while she was pregnant. When her daughter was born she was a complete vegetable. The doctors told her they didn't expect her to live past 3 years old. Well she made it to 7 before dying just a few months ago.

My cousin has spent the last 7 years providing round the clock care for her daughter. It cost her a fortune in doctors fees, nursing care, medical supplies - not to mention the tremendous emotional toll.

And she STILL smokes...

So I hope your ex decides to quit for the sake of the baby. The consequences can be disasterous.

Well I consider myself very lucky because I came out fine even though my mum smoked the whole way through her pregnancy with me (although I think the whole smoking/pregnant thing hadn't been examined when I was born, LOL)

I think what you need to do is present her with medical fact....books, websites, medical pictures.....anything that shows her the reality as opposed to her friends highly inaccurate assumptions. Maybe then she might listen....maybe not but at least you would have tried

Smoking is bad any way you look at it, and Iam myself a smoker. My mother, who had 6 children, smoked through her pregnancies and we all turned out healthy. It should be noted that during my mother;'s pregnancies in the late 60's through 70's there was not much literature on the effects of smoking during pregnancy, so people, including doctors, really were not that educated and did not view it as a serious danger.

THIS IS NOT TO SAY I ADVOCATE SMOKING WHILE PREGNANT, because we know so much more now. However, I know of several people who were somewhat "allowed" by their OB/GYN to have a few (3-5) cigs a day within the first trimester. Of course this is still not recommended nor encouraged, but Doctors feel that the later trimesters are when the fetus is really beginning to form organs and such, and thereforeeee smoking at those stages causes greater risk. IF she hasn;t stopped, she should shortly if not immediately.

she still living with her parents huh? I mean 16...

well, she's going to destroy her whole life and her parents' cause they'll have to pay for treatments. Then she's gonna have to do it all her life and change the duapers when her "baby" is 50 years old, if he makes it.

well that applies to babies who are born almost vegetables, who sit in a wheel chair with a computer that talks for them. Did you see people like that? Do you look at them funny? YES.

So tell her that. Does she want life like that?

btw. there is nothing worse than a moment when the baby is born and looks horrible. You know what I mean? I'm sorry but she's being stupid

I just can't imagine what kind of person would do it ti their child. I have a 3 month old sister who is on the very top health/growth/weigth chart. I cannot imagine a life with a sick baby...

we learned about birth defects caused by smoking during pregnancy in parenting class. the only one I remember off the top of my head is low-birth weight and prematurity. but there are a lot of scary things that could happen... it's hard enough having a healthy baby at the age of 16... just make sure she knows what she's getting into, and the consequences...