i'm not jealous, I'm hurt

I'm 17. My mom just had a baby and I'm very happy for her and I love them both and all. But my mom yells at me without a reason like once or twice a week, talks to me like I did something bad when all I wanted was just to talk to her.

Just now I walked into her room to check on her and the baby but she was rude. Then I asked something about my baby sister because she spitted up 3 times today. She statred yelling like "damn it she's fine!!"

Ok, I don't know know babies. I know that they spit up but she's never done it this often (2 weeks old). So I was worried! And she was so rude to me like I'm supposed to know it all. She's never going to admit that she's at fault. Tomorrow she's just gonna start talking to me like nothing had ever happened. But I'm sick of this! I'm a person too!

I never talk back to her, just try to be polite and want to stop her from talking to me like that. Sometimes when I ask questions like "when is my sister going to start smiling, walking, etc..." she just gives me an eye roll as of she was some jerkish girl in school that hates me! What's going on? I can't handle it anymore! I cry all the time!

I think the best idea would be to sit her down and say exactly what you told us to her. Adults have a way of thinking that since we're young, we're not entitled to the same rights as adults are. Rights such as free speech, mutual respect, and etc.

The same thing happened with my dad. He'd always be houseroughing (i think that's the word in english) with me and I hated it, but he just kept on doing it. One day, I just sat down with him and told him how I didn't like it and he just plain stopped.

Then again, your mom is a woman, and women are crazy, especially after stuff like pregnancy, I bet that's 24/7 PMS.

I'm sorry to hear all of this. Your mom probably is just a little more irritable right now because she just had the baby. She has hormonal imbalances and probably isn't getting the sleep she is used to. It will all blow over and things will be fine. Maybe you should try to talk to your mom about this. If she snaps at you, leave the subject alone...maybe talk to another family member. And...it's prefectly normal for babies to spit up a lot. She'll sit up on her own around four months old, crawl some time after that, and usually walk at about one year old. She'll smile around two months and laugh at three. I hope everything goes well and you and your mom get along! Good Luck!

JuJu* is right. Having a new baby is really hard. Don't take her snapping at you personally. I was ill as a bear sometimes too. I remember when I had my daughter having to wake up during the night to feed and change her. It seemed like as soon as I got good asleep it was time to get up again. Then their was keeping up with the extra laundry and other household chores. Plus having to worry about the extra stress on finances - baby stuff isn't cheap. Babies are cute but they are ALOT of work.

It takes a while for a mom to get into a routine that works for her. Then you should see things improve. Right now, don't take her actions to heart. I'm sure that she doesn't mean it.

Ask her if having a new baby in the house is putting any extra work on her that you can help her with. Quite simply, just ask her that question. Obviously, she's highly irritable these days & will probably appreciate the offer. Even if she doesn't say so.