My Sister Hates Me

drahcir

my sister absolutely hates me. She hates me and has hated me for several years. She treats me like I am not even a human being. She treats her pets better than she treats me. Its disgusting. I have always loved her, always taken care of her, always done by best as a brother. I have not only done the minimal: I have done everythinhg for her. The fact is taht I have been too nice to her and now she doesn't respect me as a person. Maybe even if i hadn't been nice to her, she would still be like that.> In any case i have decided that from this point forward I am going to treat her like she does not exist. As far as I am concerned she doesn't > I don't want tro try and have a relationship with someone who has hurt be so much. Even when she hurts me to the point when I am crying she never apologizes. So from this point forward, I am going to ignore her and pretend as much as I can she doesn't exist. This sounds mean, but she asked for it. I really do wish i had a relationship with her, but I don't. ANd its her fault. SO is ignoring her a good idea

Sorry this sounds more like a rant rather than a question.

It *is* a rant, but that's what this place is for, really. You got it off your chest, and if someone has something to say about it that might help, they will, so that's a bonus.

I'm curious to know whether your parents ever did anything about the treatment she was giving you while growing up however.

My sister is 18 but she acts like she is a 2. My parents often did punish her, but when ever they did she would go into these feel sorry for myself rants and sometimes go completely off the rails. So if was never effective. I don't think my sister will ever come out of this stage. Sure lots of people are like that and come out if but it appears that my sister has some deep and irreversable emotional problems. In any case, even if she does change in a couple of years it will almost impossible for me to forgive her for how she has treated me. I am simply going to have nothing to do with her. ONe time my grandma said the same thing-that she wishes she had a relatoinship with her sister but her sister simply diddn't like her. you just have to accept it and move on. As far as I am concerned my sister does not exist.

Funny how you say "pets" as though these creatures are emotionless balls of filth. Kitty Kes-sama is NOT amused. TT;

Also, I feel bad that your sister hates you. But instead of trying to exclude her from the rest of your life (which I'm sure would be unpleasant for the both of you, even if your sister will not admit it), try to remember if you could you have done something to have upset her that you may have forgotten. Maybe something about you just bugs her (I know it is irrational, but it is possible). If I were you, I would buckle down and have a serious talk with her. Ask her why she seems so full of spite toward you, why she treats you like dirt when you constantly make efforts to keep a pleasant relationship. If possible, bring up memories of younger years spent together; specific examples work best. Unless she is completely cold-hearted, this technique should help. If not, and she is cold-hearted as can be, I think that your best bet probably is dropping her.

I know exactly what you're talking about. My brother is the same way. I ignored him but it hurt even more because he didn't seem to care at all. It's only gonna be more depressing to watch her happy and fine with the fact that you don't communicate at all. So I know that's what you should not do, but I have no idea what you should do. Hope someone here comes up with a good answer.

• 4 years later...

no matter what, you guys are family. no matter who your sister meets in the future, new friends, lover, "family" you guys are her real family. when trouble happens and no one else can fix it, family will always be right there.

show her unconditional love. if she does not notice that, say it.

i have a sister. and she made me cry a ton of tears recently and even before with her actions. I worry a lot but she does not even seem to care that I hurt for her.

all i can do is show her that love and maybe one day, she will realize that no matter what, family will always be there, caring for one another, always.

don't give up on your sister. she will need you one day. and when you helped her, she will respect you. she will realize theat all the little things you do for her are better than what she could get from someone else. lots of luck to you

• 2 weeks later...

maybe she's just a B****. perhaps she does like you but will treat anyone like S*** especially those she takes for granted (ie. of course dont have to pretend to be miss sugar and spice around my sister... shes my SISTER she'll be there no matter what!!). have you asked her if she likes you? or do you assume she doesn't because she doesn't act like it?

i'm just now noticing the original post was in 2004... so this useless...

• 10 months later...

agrue: My sister hates me too! Why?? i have no idea. This goes back to my childhood. There is a 12 year gap between us (she's older than me).I have 2 other sisters too.We all get along with each other,and she gets along with them.She does not like me.I've tried to be the sister that sings the "Kum-bye-ya" Crap and lets be a family! I always invite my sister,brother-in-law,niece and nephew over ALL THE TIME !!! With the exception of her kids, she never comes over and never invites me over or my husband or my children.When i was 4, i remember her tying my legs and feet up with a belt and painting my face like a clown and locking me up in the closet until my mom and dad came home from shopping.I tried very very hard to be accepted by her.To this Day,She will not talk to me.We live 5 minutes apart from each other and we just lost a family member a month ago,I tried leaving her messages,My other sisters try to speak to her on my behalf,No response.So this is what i have to say,Life is too damn short to wonder WHY??? I have family members who LOVE me! You cannot beg nor plead. You cannot keep asking why.I love my sister,but she has a problem and it's not mine.She has to face what ever her demonds are...People are suffering behind what she's doing.The friendship between her children and mine.I encourage my kids to call and talk to their cousins!I've noticed that her kids dont call like they used too.It's ok.My children have plenty of family and love! So do i.I'm gonna live my life with or with out her.That's what I have to do.Pray for her to get some form of help and keep going

• 2 years later...

My sister is 1 yr and 8 months younger than me. I don't know when my sister started hating me. I remember when she was 7 or 8, and she spread a nasty rumor about me to each of my friends in sunday school until they no longer wanted to hang out with me. In Jr High, she often told me how everyone secretly disliked me because of how ugly I was. My parents chalked it up to stupid sibling rivalry. Even now, my sister insists that she was an absolute angel during childhood. I am now 23, she is 21. We are both married (her for 2 years, me for 4), and she is expecting her first child. She immediately informed me that I will not be an active person in her son's life. She knows that I have tried and failed to have a baby, and yet she loves to talk about her baby in front of me.

When she came to visit me about two years ago, I introduced her to some people that I had been friends with for many years. She suddenly decided to spend five days with them, and while there, she cheated on her fiance with my friend's brother. The next day, she called me to tell me that my friends were very angry with me, did not want me around anymore, and had decided that they wanted my sister to move in with them. I later found out that this was not true....my friends had discovered that my sister was a liar and didn't want HER around. My friend's husband told me that during her stay, my sister had told them horrible stories about me and had gotten angry when they didn't believe her. My sister later told me that my friends were evil people and that I didn't need to be friends with them anymore.

On a recent visit to see our family up north, I was once again reminded how much my younger sister seems to hate me. She spent two weeks telling me to divorce my husband simply because she hates him, yet denied doing so in front of our parents. She once muted the TV and left the room, I called her back and told her to unmute it, and she claimed that -unlike her- I was obsessed with television. If I mentioned anything good going on in my life, she spent at least 20 minutes telling me how stupid it was, and how her life is better. She was constantly bragging about how her marriage was ten thousand times better than mine, even though her and her husband are both unemployed. I live in the south, and she will make remarks like how she just knows that my house is filled with garbage even though she's seen pictures that prove otherwise. She likes to pretend that she is a liscensed cosmotologist, and if I refuse to let her cut my hair, she will tell me: "well, a hillbilly haircut couldn't be as good as a regular haircut". She likes to brag about how much her husband paid for her jewelry, and about how many credit cards she has in her purse. Her absolute favorite game is to pretend that SHE is the eldest sister, and has even told people that she is!

My younger sister feels that she has the right to instruct me on how to live my life, claiming to be a better Christian woman than me. If I don't do things exactly like she does, she tells me that I am stupid and wrong. I don't know why she is this way. I have never given her a reason to hate me. I do my best to be a good sister and treat her with respect. Is she jealous of me? Is she so disgusted with her life that she has to hurt me to make herself feel better? Or does she just hate me because she can? I can't answer these questions, only my sister can tell me why, but I know she never will.

• 6 months later...

im 15 and she's 12 she's been rude and she swears at me and calls me names, i couldn't even convince my parents to TALK to her, i asked her why she hates all she says *curse* *curse* and more *curses* its honestly getting me mad and i don't know what to do... i did your method which is ignoring her and all.. but then my parents yelled at me and told me I'm a bad influence on her and blah blah blah... they even took away my keys and grounded me for a month, i don't know how to deal with her and i don't know what to do, she goes telling my parents i hit her andd all.. but its just to hggfkgyf! messed up really... even when we went on a holiday like 2 weeks ago i couldn't enjoy it! my mum kept blaming me on everything she said or did! every curse she said my mum would say i taught her, how would she know since i NEVER curse in the house or near ANY family members? and i try being nice to her and buy her stuff she doesn't say thanks or even treats me nicer...im starting to give up... do you have any idea on i can do?

• 9 months later...

i also loved my sister but she hates me a lot.. i did not ever bet or scolded her.. but today i am very sad because my sister scolded me a lot.. i don't know what to do.. i am crying here.. i can't leave my sister.. but her own brother doesn't show love on her.. but i show my love to her.. when i called today she told me don't talk to me.. i felt bad and sad.. i can't leave without my sister.. she is everything for me.. i want to win her love.. i think i am unlucky fellow.. i love my sister a lot.. if she is crying i can't control.. i always like to keep her happy as lover.. i purchase what ever she ask for.. even i am ready to give my life to my sister.. here i am going mad.. i want my sister back to me.. please help me..

Archived