Worries: conversation levels out?

My girlfriend and I have been together for a bit over a year now and now I'm worrying. We've had our few problems, but we were both open enough to work though any trouble before it became a real issue. I have this paranoia that we will run the relationship dry. One of the big things in our relationship is that its long distance (6 hour drive). I suppose that if we are both willing to work at it this long we must be pretty well committed. By running dry I mean I think we will just run out of things to talk about and get bored with each other. She calls me most every night and we talk for hours (she calls me because she has an amazing long distance plan). I just think that we need something to break up the monotony. I was thinking of asking her to stop calling for a few days just so we could take a quick intermission. During the break time I figured I could work on something special for her (I'm playing around writing something on the guitar or maybe a digital photo album I messed with in Photoshop). I'm just curious if this sounds like a good course of action. My worry is making her feel like the relationship is in trouble by taking the break, "take a break" is never boded well even if we feel we are strong.

Hmm... I would be suspicious if my bf did that just because he wanted to write a song on the guitar for me an break up the monotony. It automatically says to me "He wants distance from me." Even though it is with good intentions, the outcome may be a little hurt feelings. I would think a bf would have plenty of other time to spend writing the song.

There are other ways to break up the monotony... maybe just keep the conversation short a couple of the days... like not talk for hours and hours... maybe just talk for an hour and a half.

Or you could just outright tell her you're making something really special for her, but you need some extra time to complete it... set a date for when it will be completed and then have her call at a specified time to hear the song-- or send it to her on a specified date. That way feelings won't be as hurt and the break may increase the excitement and anticipation in the relationship.

Sayer7 is right. Be careful how you handle this as she might take it that you want time out.

Be honest to a point. Shorten the conversations. Remember that to have a great relationship also means that there can be silences too. You dont have to be talking non-stop to ensure that all is well.

I can sit for hours driving or reading or watching a movie without talking, other days my G/F and I can talk all night. Its about being comfortable with each other

• 2 weeks later...

As for getting bored and running out of things to talk about... there are always new things, I think, if you work at it -- and if you stay interesting -- I mean, live your life to the fullest, keep trying new things, and you'll always find interesting things to talk about.

Erich Fromm wrote a book called "The Art of Loving..." Some of it is a bit technical, but it's short, and there's some really great advice in there...