help me, I have a wet beder..

Hi, I been taking care of my aunts son for about a year now...

He is 6, I am 19.

My aunt went off for college, and she can't afford to support her baby, she berly have enougnt money for herself, and her husband, is an alcoholic.

I don't mind taking care of my cusin, here is the problem..

He has been wetting his bed since he was 4, he wets his bed once or twice a week...

the doctor told me that he is perfectly normal, and he will grow out of it in a year or so....but its not happening..

all she told me was to make him hold it for about 2-3 seconds, and let him pee for 2-3 seconds, until he finishes peeing.

But I noticed that when he doesn't drink water at night he doesn't pee, and when he does he usually pees...

I have bought him 4 matresses already...and they are not cheap.

This kid is wonderfull, but thats his only problem, what can I do?

Can I just say what an angel you are for taking care of this child?

Look forward to others' advice. I'm childless, and don't know anything about this subject. You might try a second doctor's opinion, and also, keep researching on the Internet.

Again, many blessings your way for being such a devoted caretaker.

Well first of all I agree that not letting him drink water near bedtime would be a good start. The doctor is right, eventually they do grow out of it.

In the meantime instead of buying new mattresses constantly, I'd suggest you purchase a special liner thats made especially for people who wet the bed. It goes in between the mattress and the cover sheet. Then you can simply wash the liner if he has an accident instead of ruining another mattress. Check with your local home health care store or even a drugstore may carry them.

I actually tried keeping the plastic on, but then it leaks right trought it...

I tried the school nurse, and the clinic...

Maybey I get one of those liner things...

He gets very emberrest and he won't tell me when he had an accident, and one time he went smelling to school, and I got really mad cus he didn't toll me, but now I check his bed if its wet every morning...

I really don't know how to deal with this type of thing.

What can I do to help him get rid of this problem?

sometimes he doen't pee for a month, and sometimes he pees 5 times a week.

thanks scout, but I won't lie, my mom and grandpa take care of him once in a while

My little sister used to have this problem and sometimes still does every once and a while and she's 9 now. When she was a little younger though we also tried the special lining for the beds and also keeping the plastic on. Try not giving him anything to drink after a certain time, i'd say somewhere between 6 and 8 depending on when supper is and when he goes to bed. Also at this age it's something people hate to think about because they should be potty trained, but try pullups just at night. Best i can do, good luck!

I have experience in this area. I myself wet the bed until I was 6 and I would have occasional accidents for about a year after that. He will grow out of it just as I did. It takes time.

Just be patient with him and don't do anything that would shame him. It was a very hard time for me because I wanted to stop but I just didn't have the ability.

I don't want to put pampers on him...

I guess I'll wait until he grows out of it....

How long do you think this would last?

When he was smaller he never had this problem, my guess is because his parents split up, but I'm not sure if thats the case.

I agree with you about not using pampers. Anything that would make him more self conscious is not a good idea. It could possibly last up to another year or so.

Limiting liquid at night is a good idea. My mom would also wake me up once a night to go to the bathroom. But I would do what ever the doctor suggests.

I agree with you about not using pampers. Anything that would make him more self conscious is not a good idea. It could possibly last up to another year or so.

Limiting liquid at night is a good idea. My mom would also wake me up once a night to go to the bathroom. But I would do what ever the doctor suggests.

what did your doctor suggested?

Yes I will definitely limit his nighly drinks.

Thanks for all your help guys and girls, I'm just getting this parenting thing, one day I will have one of my own

I slept heavy and I could not feel the urge to go. They run tests (what kind I have no idea) I wasn't put on any medication and my doctor told my mom that I would grow out of it. Even now I rarely get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I go first thing when I get up.

You probably already do this, make sure he tries to go before he goes to bed.

I know it's hard but it will stop. You're doing good, okay.

I agree with what has been said. Don't allow any him to drink any liquids after dinner time which should be early enough for him to use the toilet and have the liquids from dinner out of his system before dinner time. My mother said having the child eat peanut butter before dinner helps. Wake him up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet. And when I was a child I would have this dream that I was going to the bathroom and my dream would look like I was actually going to the bathroom that was in my house and it felt so real like I had actually waken up and walked to the toilet. But I would sit down a pee and end up peeing in the bed. Ask him if he has this dream and if he does then tell him when he has this dream to wake up and go to the bathroom.

Hope I've helped.

Jaiva

peanut butter would just make him thirsty.

Yes I do have him pee before bed time, and when he wakes up.

I have a hard time waking up at the middle of the night, so thats basictly not an option to wake him up to go pee. He just has to grow out of it I guess...

Thanks to all of you who replied to this topic, I really appreciate it.

thank you for all your input.

I don't do nothing to him, I just ask him if he can feel it, and he says no, then I tell him if he wakes up at night go to the bathroom, and I put a nightlight in the hall way between his room and the bathroom so he won't trip on anything.

Anyways I know what to do, the doctor told me to make him drink a lot of water in the morning, and make him hold it as long as he can, she said that will improve his bladder, worth a try I say.

I too was a bed-wetter when I was young and was sent for numerous tests to make sure there was no medical reason for it. I saw many doctors about it and they all told my mom the same thing.

Cut off any liquids a few hours before bedtime. Make sure the child pees before bed. An hour to an hour and a half into his sleep wake him up and put him on the toilet and try to get him to pee again. The reason for this is the first deep sleep of the night is the deepest and is usually during this sleep that an accident will happen. Bed-wetters are deep sleepers and although they can wet the bed during any deep sleep hopefully by waking him up his bladder will be emptied.

Another thing to do is make sure he goes to the bathroom at regular times throughout the day. Our bodies work like clocks at eventually he will always have to go at these times and not at other times. Also make sure that he completely empties his bladder, it is important for him to try to push any last drops out.

Definitely get a plastic mattress cover for him; in the meantime you can use a large garbage bag over the area where he will do any damage.

There is also the option of getting a bed alarm that will go off as soon as moisture hits the pad. It will wake him up and hopefully teach him to recognize when he has to go.

He will grow out of it, just support him and love him and make sure he doesn't feel embarrassed.

I'm still a deep sleeper to this day and won't wake up to use the bathroom; my body just learned how to hold it all night.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't want to put pampers on him...

I guess I'll wait until he grows out of it....

How long do you think this would last?

When he was smaller he never had this problem, my guess is because his parents split up, but I'm not sure if thats the case.

You are right on this one. Most likely his bedwetting is being triggered by stress in his life. Try to be understanding and not fuss at him or get angry with him. Praise him for all the things he does right, limit his drinks before bed, remind him to go to the bathroom just before bed. If you are awake in the middle of the night, you can even wake him up to use the restroom. But only if you happen to be up. Just continue loving him and if he is willing to talk about his feelings, always hear him out. He should outgrow it but as his stress tapers off, or he learns to manage the stress better, the bedwetting should start to taper off as well and become less frequent.

Good luck and I applaud you as well for caring for him. =D>