I can't live with them anymore

My parents drive me insane...I just got back from vacation with them and the whole time we fought, they said i was depressed and needed a shrink...but the only time i act like that is when im around them....i need something to hold on to before i do something drastic....my friends wont help me, and my church would only do the same...i've run away mant times but i always came back...i'm happy when im with my friends but i can only be happy until i come home...

help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Courtney:

Parents can be hard to relate to and deal with. I know this from both sides. One I'm a parent and two even at my age my mother sometimes drives me nuts. (Thank God I don't have to live with her!)

I urge you to try as hard as you can to sit down and calmly talk to your parents. Try to identify what it is that bothers you about them. Also, try to find and outlet like a hobby when you have to be in the house. Good luck and keep me posted.

Evepm

Hmm I never had that big of a problem with my parents. I've never run away or even considred it (for more than a couple of minutes).

But, I've known friends who have, and can understand it.

First off, how old are you?

If you 16 or over and you really feel its that bad, then go for it. Get a job, save up a bit and get a cheap appartment. You probally wont be able to stay in school, but if your an inteligeng person, you can take the GED at 16 in most states.

I would only advice this as a last resort. Try to hold out a bit longer and just wait.

If problems are really bad, you can always just ignore your parents. Think of your home as a place to sleep, shower, and not much else. Dont talk to your parents, and try to respond as little as possible.

Hopefully, this will only last a week or two and things will get better. This isnt really a good option, but it's better than running away.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Problems other people are having that I have: locking self in bathroom, eating disorders[sorry Mary-Kate or whats-her-face~the other olsen- twin], and.. parents...

I'm in the eigth grade and my mother thretens to kick me out and I think the best solutions are reading young author books from the library or if your mother refuses to drive you there for some reason go to a teen-help-line. As stated above im only in eigth grade so you probably have more experiencee than me on the matter. Maybe If I hold out for five more years then I should leave the house when Im eighteen.

Alternate options ie. crying into pillow, telling friends that you can trust , going for a five minute walk without telling your parents-go back home-get box of cereal-write a running away letter and leave it on the refridgerator or T.V~ (whichever one your parents use more)- and finnaly hiding in your crawl space or closet snacking on cereal while waiting for your parents to find the letter.