my dad went to the hospital tonight for psychiatric evaluati

Hey guys.. Don't really know what to do or say here.. I just know i need someone to talk to.. My dad has been acting mentally unstable for the past 2 years...He just isn't the same person anymore.. He yells at my mom and I..Almost every night my parents get into fights. He forgets things a lot teh next day (or acts like he does).. He has been caught smoking pot int he past, and taking tranquilizers and such like that... He and I barely speak anymore.. So tonight my mom had it, and called teh cops (they have been called before).. They came, spoke to me, my dad and my mom... So my dad put on this act, like he was a real nice normal father.. he ended up going to a hospital and agreeing to get evaluated tonight. Now i'm freaked, scared, and don't know what to do.. And i'm scared how he is going to act when he gets back.. Can anyone talk? Im a little confused...

I'm not sure how old your dad is, but he could possibly have Alzheimer's disease. Some of the symptoms you describe are indicative of Alzheimer's. Or he could have a myriad of other possible conditions, not that that'll ease your mind any.

The main, most important thing is that he agreed to get help. That says he recognizes there's a problem too, and is willing to take steps to solve it, which most people won't face up to. Take heart in the fact that he did, and that this may be the first step in recovery of whatever he has going on. Be supportive of him, and give a little. Meaning, if he's unreasonable or yells, remind yourself that this may be because of whatever's going on in his brain, not just because he's a jerk.

I'm sorry I don't have more to offer you, but I'm very glad to hear he's seeking help, even if it's because the police were called. Sometimes it takes those somewhat drastic measures to get the point accross that help is needed.

Mar